Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream- an inadequate Sheepherder's Wagon?

Mother Earth News: Life in a Sheepherder Wagon by Victor A. Croley, May/June 1970

I wrote a commentary and when it was posted... it was deleted and not posted. So, read this very interesting story of those living in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and parts of Utah and Colorado that are so familiar.

When this posts... I will try to recollect my thoughts and in the meanwhile... enjoy your ideas and improvements between these two "round top living spaces on wheels".

Old 11-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Is there supposed to be a link to this article, Ray?

Old 11-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Burkburnett , Texas
My son has been looking at the Sheepherder wagons for about a year now. Also found a company that builds new one's. Talk about a go anywhere boondocking trailer, these are the one.

He just moved from Walden Co. to a ranch around Sheridan Wy. See if he finds one there.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
A couple of years ago, there was a company at the Johnson County Fair in Buffalo, WY that was selling new sheepherder wagons. They were pretty much scratch built somewhere around Buffalo. Maybe Kaycee. I had their brochure, but can't find it now. They looked closer to a standard white box RV than the old stereotypical sheepherder wagons. They appeared to be pretty well built, and looked like you could pull them just about anywhere. They also looked like they were pretty heavy with at least 2" square steel tube framing and 3/4" plywood cabinetry.

Each spring Buffalo hosts a "Basque Fair" where many of the historic families of the region bring out their fully restored and decorated sheepherder wagons. They take a great deal of pride in the wagons, and they are quite valuable. If you can find a decent one for sale, it's probably going to cost as much as a decent used Airstream.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Do the wagons come with the resident Great Pyrenees !!

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Pretty cute!

Sheep Wagons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	252627  
Old 11-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Life in a Sheepherder Wagon

Life in a Sheepherder Wagon - Nature and Community - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
Old 11-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Of course the comparison of a Sheepherder's Wagon to an Airstream is not fair, nor the point to discuss.

The similarities are of function and that the wagon preceded the development of the Airstream by 50 years or more. The FIRST AMERICAN CAMP WAGON or as I see it... The First American Mobile Home.

Take the imagination of someone wanting to perfect a trailer and use the self sustaining Sheepherder's Wagon as a template and you have an... Airstream.

As far fetched as this thought might be, read the Life in a Sheepherder Wagon and you be the judge and jury. There could be some merit in this stray thought. Shroud the wagon with aluminum and 1930's technology... Is it possible?

What are your thoughts on this matter. I am just presenting this example from my seeing these scattered in the Rocky Mountain grasslands among their flocks of sheep. I see the possible connection of taking an old idea and updating the construction for modern trailers.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Of course the comparison of a Sheepherder's Wagon to an Airstream is not fair, nor the point to discuss.

The similarities are of function and that the wagon preceded the development of the Airstream by 50 years or more. The FIRST AMERICAN CAMP WAGON or as I see it... The First American Mobile Home.

Take the imagination of someone wanting to perfect a trailer and use the self sustaining Sheepherder's Wagon as a template and you have an... Airstream.

As far fetched as this thought might be, read the Life in a Sheepherder Wagon and you be the judge and jury. There could be some merit in this stray thought. Shroud the wagon with aluminum and 1930's technology... Is it possible?

What are your thoughts on this matter. I am just presenting this example from my seeing these scattered among the Rocky Mountain grasslands and among flocks of sheep. I find the possible connection of taking an old idea and updating the construction for modern trailers, intriguing.

Can the Sheepherder Wagon be the initial force behind modern made trailers? The Sheepherder wagon still are in use today. It is easier to heat. For Off the Grid use and simplicity, it is the ultimate trailer and just lacks a mechanical tow vehicle.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We saw this one in Utah at Flaming Gorge Reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1100079.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	252648   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100080.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	252649  

Name:	P1100078.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	252650  
Old 11-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
These are everywhere on the Internet & Tiny Trailers

There is more about these than I ever imagined after looking through the internet. Here was a post from a Tiny Trailer thread:

Re: A Real Sheepherder Wagon
Postby Engineer Guy Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 pm

We live p/t line-of-sight to the Plateau area 'Nobody' mentions above. With so much BLM Land around us, there are 'Old School' Sheepherders, and their Gear, around every Season. Indeed, I like to run our Pooch on some BLM Land line-of-sight out our Kitchen Window. However, in the past few weeks, I could see a large Sheep Water Tank on a Trailer, and the curved roof Sheepherder Wagon parked out there. So, we pass on going there during these times. The Sheep graze down arid BLM areas soon enough, so they move along to other Land.

My Wife got 'stuck' in a Sheep 'Roundup' Drive a few days ago while heading to the lil Town the pic above was taken in. You just drive through them very slowly. No harm. No foul.

The Labor Pool of choice around us the last few years, for the Fruit Orchards and Sheepherding, are Peruvians. Very distinctive features: long, sharp Noses and almost-Aztec Facial features. With them, they bring some really serious Dogs: Kuvasz. They look like ~150 lb., pure white Retrievers. They will rip your Heart out and show it to you before you die [so to speak]. Any 'interlopers' are seen as enemies to be dispatched quickly. So, we have it on good advice to avoid them, and let them do their work.

The ~5,000 Acre Ranch below us has some 50 Coyote Skeletons wired together, hanging from a huge Tree. Their Dogs kill Coyotes like they're stuffed Toys. Impressive, regardless of what one might think of all this...

Thumbs up on the 'SheepStream' comment. Poifect.

Kuvasz Sheep Dogs
Old 11-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
My Wife got 'stuck' in a Sheep 'Roundup' Drive a few days ago while heading to the lil Town the pic above was taken in. You just drive through them very slowly. No harm. No foul.
Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0613081431.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	252654  
Old 11-22-2015, 12:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
. . . The similarities are of function and that the wagon preceded the development of the Airstream by 50 years or more. The FIRST AMERICAN CAMP WAGON or as I see it... The First American Mobile Home. Take the imagination of someone wanting to perfect a trailer and use the self sustaining Sheepherder's Wagon as a template and you have an ... Airstream.
Ray:

Do you mean something like this, from a 1949 Airstream catalog:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Conastoga to Airstream.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	252660  
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream Fireplaces for the 21st Century?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Ray:

Do you mean something like this, from a 1949 Airstream catalog:
Now we are pushing back in time. The Conestoga Wagon would be among the "grandfathers" of American homes on wheels. During the mass migrations of the California Gold Rush across Wyoming 2016 Adventure route, we will see first hand the variety of four and TWO wheeled transportation used in the 19th Century. If there is a desire, a way will be discovered.

conestoga wagon, lancaster county pa., pennsylvania dutch
The Conestoga Area Historical Society- The Conestoga Wagon

Although the Airstream from its beginning and to this date is a very comfortable home on wheels. It does have a severe disadvantage. The Winter weather of the more northern latitudes are its weakest part of the design. The insulation is lacking. The propane and battery power to operate provide a weak source of heat within the encapsulated interior.

Had NASA used Airstream's insulation for comfort outside Earth's atmosphere for Heat and Cold... we would have gone no further than a bi-plane with an open cockpit wearing goggles and a leather "woolly jacket".

Take NASA's insulation incorporated into an Airstream, if possible, and you will have the ultimate modern Sheepherder's Wagon. If NASA has been using these new technologies, it must be printed in plain English that Jackson Center, Ohio can read and understand.

Otherwise... put a wood burning stove as an option... IF a space can be discovered and protected from those owners not familiar with iron fireplaces in their homes. I am going to make a point to find a Sheepherder's Wagon and discover the "secret of the iron stove" within a wood framed and canvas trailer.

If Hunter's tents can incorporate a wood burning stove into a tent, progress to a Sheepherder's Wagon... why not the giant leap for mankind into a modern trailer, or any brand? One must exist, even among those among the AirForums.

We have an environmentally friendly fireplace in our home in Colorado. The pine from the beetle kill is as common as grasshoppers are in your gardens. This fire place uses a fan that warms two levels of our home. It pollutes less than a VW diesel vehicle.

Where are the engineers, the inventors... those who want to Full Time in a cold Winter climate? Or is a fireplace within an Airstream so advanced that nobody has, even Eddie Bauer, a clue?