Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #29
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
We have that fan on our woodstove in our home, it is amazung and plan to buy a second one.

2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Seems like you are looking for one of these
Cubic Mini Wood Stoves - Mini wood stoves

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:13 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Too cute!

Maggie
Old 11-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Mini Wood Burning Stove... the heat solution?

I sent an email to Cubic Mini Wood Stoves if they could access this Thread and make comments as to their experience of installing their product in an older or newer Airstream.

Space available is more a problem, since the Airstream is designed to a very tight need and little room for "accessories". No matter the dimensions of 11" x 12" x 10.5" with 6,000 to 14,000 btu's.

No one wants to cut a 3 inch flue pipe diameter through the roof... or maybe the side opposite the door. But maybe someone has figured it out. I cannot other than taking out the microwave up high, or the oven down low.

The Airstream could provide comfort within with a wood burning stove. Is this the solution or just another idea that goes nowhere?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #33
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My avatar has a pic of a sheepherder's wagon that I took on the way down to Echo Park, which is on the Colorado side of Dinosaur NP.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Ray: I draw outside combustion air thru 5" double insulated tubing attached to where the original tail lights were. Tubes drop to floor, join, and route up and over the roadside wheel well. Tubing has a backflow preventer at its terminus. A secondary preventer is in the exhaust too. Under certain conditions any type wood or kerosene heater can attempt to burn in reverse. My design negates use of cabin air and death due to oxygen depletion, does not use heated cabin air for combustion (inefficient.) Both types heaters vent thru double wall pipes up to the front roof vent which lifts up and turns over, with 2 caps ( one is for a whirlygig which is kept inside for OTR). The wood heater is pure convection air movement and has nothing combustible within 3 feet. The military kerosene tent heater H-45 uses NSN (National Stock Number) 4520-457-2790 a TEF-111 device = a thermoelectric fan, sits atop the heater generates it's own electricity for the fan blade and draws air down for air movement. The TEF-111 saves a bunch of fuel and makes the heater efficient enough to heat a 10 man tent at 0 degrees F.outside. eBay has 3 for $500 each. I paid nowhere near that for mine. The supply tubes have several closeable openings to make each 8" whirlygig able to remove excess heat and for summer cool the cabin nicely when not over about 85 degrees F. outside. Without an input air source they do not work as well. Also, must have at least 5-7 MPH wind. Wood heater $56, Kerosene H-45 $106, tubing, insulation, 3 new self made hatch covers, 3 each 8" whirlygigs, TEF-111, much used 5 gal older bung type Jerry can, etc. I have about $400 invested. How much for a too small Airstream maintenance nightmare furnace, tanks, lines, power for fan, duct work etc? I bet it's north of $4K. My wood burner has detachable legs on wheels and is always in the front of my Cadillac's covered cargo bed (even in summer). H-45 stays at home unless I anticipate 20 to 40 below zero F. I have maintained for years that the Airstream designers are only bright enough to design for max luxury and convenience and ignore costs. At max output the heater uses just over 1/2 gallon kerosene per hour and will drive you out. Am designing thin tiles/firebricks to line the combustion chamber of the wood burner, will attempt to burn small quantities of pet coke, (14,000 Btus per pound) and not melt the 1/4 inch steel walls. Would then not have to feed wood all night to keep the temp up or make too hot larger wood fires. Correction to first post: the H-45 max output is 45,000 Btus.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
BBU... you are on track on this woodturning/kerosene option for heat.

Our home wood fireplace uses outside air for combustion, vents through the chimney the smoke. A fan is on a temperature switch that uses inside air pulled through the heated iron to heat two floors of 4600+ feet with an open area to the second floor.

This thing would not take much to heat an Airstream interior... but avoiding burning yourself , keeping the weight to a minimum and no doubt that the RV and Trailer industry do allow such options by law.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This was in my MEN newsletter this am...

How to Choose the Right Woodstove - Modern Homesteading - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Lots of good info on selecting the right woodstove for you.

One of the things I have learned over the years is that small is good....and this also pertains to heating with a woodstove in you main living area.

These babies crank out an amazing amount of heat, and it is difficult for me to imagine any Airstream needing more than the marine size to heat adequately....and, perhaps, cook.

The first woodstove in the little house was too big for the space needed, so couldn't be burned at anywhere near optimum capacity or it would drive us to opening doors and windows.

Not being able to let it get really hot affected how much buildup accumulated in the chimney.....creosote buildup burns, causing chimney fires. Had a couple of those.

The smaller one that has been in place 20 years or so is much more appropriate for the size of the house, and heats it well, but still burns at optimum capacity only in the most subzero of temperatures.

The smaller stove does get much hotter, and so never a chimney fire.

In moderate temps, a good fire in the morning keeps the house warm from the radiant heat all day.

Maggie
Old 11-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Just expanding a bit with imagination.

Everyone, myself included is thinking about the wood burning fire place INSIDE the trailer. It can be attached to the exterior, like you would a generator when needed. This takes care of 80% of the head scratching to fit this in the trailer, when it can be set up outside and a fan draws the heat to a radiator and exhausts it back out. Much like some kind of automobile heater with glycol doing the work.

Although impractical for a trailer... thinking outside the Sheepherder's Wagon for an Airstream has its benefits. Although this has not been invented, yet... the idea is now out there for BBU to make it work. Like playing with a pile of clay and designing a sports car out of it.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Airstream- an inadequate Sheepherder's Wagon?

The wood stove problem (beyond noted above) is fuel supply. Distance transportation cost versus equivalent weight in propane. That said, sure is attractive if one is parked in the right place.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Where are the engineers, the inventors... those who want to Full Time in a cold Winter climate? Or is a fireplace within an Airstream so advanced that nobody has, even Eddie Bauer, a clue?
Ray, you and others might find this wood stove interesting: Unforgettable Fire, LLC | Kimberly™ & Katydid™ Wood Stoves The story of the inventor, Roger Lehet, can be found under the About tab and is quite inspirational. American ingenuity is alive and well!!

This is on my "someday" list of AS improvements.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Oops, meant to include this link too! Here is a wood stove in action in an AS, although, as another poster mentioned, I'm not sure it is a mobile solution.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f478...ey-141453.html
Old 12-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"Where are the engineers, the inventors... those who want to Full Time in a cold Winter climate? Or is a fireplace within an Airstream so advanced that nobody has, even Eddie Bauer, a clue?" Well, I'm not an engineer but I do like to dream and doodle. A few years ago a company built a fiberglass trailer that looked a lot like an Airstream. It didn't have the quality of an Airstream and the idea was just dropped on the dealers with no warning, so it didn't do very well and was discontinued after only a couple of years.

There are several companies that are building small "egg" type campers, but no one, as far as I know, builds a full-size fiberglass coach (think fiberglass 30' Airstream). As many people have pointed out, temperature extremes are the week point of an Airstream. Newell uses a sprayed-in foam insulation that makes for a well-insulated coach. DRV uses 3 1/4" walls.

What would happen if someone would build a 28-30' fiberglass coach, shaped more or less like an Airstream, that was made with only four body pieces (front and rear end caps, and top and bottom middle sections) with 3" walls with sprayed-in foam insulation? Include quality interiors and design it for full-timers? Such a coach would likely be a foot taller than an Airstream, but that would allow for some larger exterior storage areas.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Amish Engineering towards the Basic Essentials

From Jackson Center, OH to Garnett, Kansas the Amish & Mennonites have retained the basic horse drawn buggy and wagon pulled by horse(s). Some parts of the USA modern conveniences have been adapted, yet the basic technology and skill sets of 19th century can be adapted to the 21st century. (My wife and I bought pies from the Amish in Jackson Center, and I met Amish in Garnett, Kansas buying lantern globes and shopping in town... explaining my use of these two towns.)

Thirty States have Amish communities. They are a "waste not community".

Maybe introducing an Amish wagon builder to a gutted Airstream to adapt for Off the Grid all season trailer might be an option to the high tech engineers now papering the placement of a microwave and HDTV.

Even Amish communities have found Solar Panels, rubber tired wheels and other modern conveniences fitting into their self sustaining lives, unaffected.

Times change for everyone, Amish included, that eventually modern technology is added to the acceptable options for their primarily rural lives. I do not expect to see a horse drawn Amish travel trailer... but there must be a compromise for a modern travel trailer to become self sufficient anywhere at any time. Is it possible? Probably not with the expectations of modern trailer owners.

Can it be done. Of course. But, there will be conveniences absent from a 2016 Airstream to do so. Will it sell? With the Off the Grid market such a small minority, the numbers would be small. Can a compromise be built that appeases the basics AND some luxuries? Only if the length and width of the trailer can be kept at a minimum. Up to 25 feet?

Even those who rebuild older Airstreams have not chimed into the conversation. Obviously... no one has come up with an Off the Grid option for Full Timers. It is probably a dream that no one finds acceptable. We have been spoiled with the frivolous needs and home lifestyles to accept what was possible in a previous century.

We who camp Off the Grid can imagine it possible. That is a beginning.