Old 11-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
I have a pretend, (electric) woodburning stove in our Airstream that produces heat. *grin* We thought about a real one, this is easier and cheaper for now as we are on a very tight budget.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Off the Grid Winter Comforts of... home

After just trying to find just one source for Sheepherder Wagons... I have found so many builders of them and people who are just as active as we Airstream owners!

A grub box = pantry
Wood burning stove = our propane "furnace"
Studebaker Brothers= Wally Airstream
Fine Wool clothing= polyester and synthetics from discount stores
Sheepherder Wagon's were born of necessity... not Airstream comforts

Sheepherder wagons sell new in the $7500 to $20,000 range... less tow option

Used... the sky is the limit... much like our older ancestral Airstreams

Clearances of 18"+, horse powered to 5mph+.

Sheepwagon: Home on the Range by Nancy Weidel. To complement your copy of Wanderlust Airstream at 75 by Russ Banham.

Although an Airstream is shown being pulled by a bicycle... the Sheepherder's Wagon is built so sturdy that it takes more than one bicyclist... maybe four to do the same!

Follow this thread with the tongue in cheek and open mind it is intended. I will not be trading our 25 foot International for a new Sheepherder's Wagon, just yet... but leave my options open.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
16 Foot Bambi has found its Mother!

"Conestoga wagons came in various sizes, just like trucks today, some were used on farms, like pick-up trucks and others were the tractor trailers of their time, large, heavy duty wagons hauling goods to Philadelphia and later to the west. The larger of these wagons may have been 14 and 16 feet long and been pulled by 6 large horses. Usually the wheels of the wagons would be painted red while the body of the wagon would be blue, with a canvas top that was white." The Conestoga Area Historical Society- The Conestoga Wagon

Our 16 foot Bambi has a mother... bless its heart!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
******* Now we are pushing back in time. The Conestoga Wagon would be among the "grandfathers" of American homes on wheels.
Ray:

You must be channeling Wally! Below, from the same 1949 catalog, is his explanation of how boyhood trips in his grandfather's Conestoga wagon among our western states influenced the design of early Airstream travel trailers. Click on the thumbnail to read and enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Conastoga to Airstream story.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	252680  
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Don't know what came first, chuck wagon or sheepherders wagon, but Studebaker Brothers built ammunition carrying wagons during TWBTS They were built for extra heavy duty. Charlie Goodnight, a cattle trader, tricked one out as a mobile field kitchen and the chuck wagon was born. One would assume that it was named after him, but not so. Chuck was cowboy slang for food. I think the Gypsy wagon pre-dates them all.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
I knew there was a reason I was drawn to this beauty. Came across it in Mancos Co.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	607.9 KB
ID:	252681  
Old 11-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The Romani lived in similar wagons (vardos) through the 1800's and into the 20th century. I wonder if they're related.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Probably....everyone but the American Indians here came from the old country...even the sheep.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
We are in the process of where to place our Palms, Mohave Desert vegetation and fruit trees in our new barren yard in Nevada. At the same time I find time to look over more information on Sheepherder Wagons and how similar I find them to our Airstream. I do enjoy their stories of the lonely life spent in this wagon among several thousands of sheep or other livestock. Only a dog, or two or three as company for long periods of time. It was recorded that many went insane, forgot their names and could not speak once brought back into civilization.

I can relate with our the Off the Grid camping in the Rockies. It is a choice for us and the isolation for a week or two is not that demanding. The sheep herders spent months tending the flock until they were resupplied with their needs. Today it must not be as isolated, but most of the stories are from the early 20th century.

When I camped in an Army Tent or in the back of my 1967 Bronco to collect fossils in the Badlands of Nebraska... even the sound of a pickup and the plume of dust it left was a reminder of not being totally alone. Few Airstream owners can relate, but might next year...

This poem no doubt meant more at the time it was written. Today it has lost some of its meaning as few experience the remote and isolation that did exist. You become self reliant and confident that anything is possible, and if not... you do it anyway.

This poem was with various stories of Wyoming Sheepwagons. It is simple, but those days have been forgotten by most. But, not by me. I still yearn for those places that few want to go, or would ever find pleasure in wandering the exposed rock formations for minerals or fossils eroding out. Although I would not have what it would take to herd sheep... or tend to cattle... this little poem does remind me of what use to be.

OUT WHERE THE WEST BEGINS
By Arthur Chapman
Out where the handclasp's a little stronger,
Out where the smile dwells a little longer,
That's where the West begins.
Out where the sun is a little brighter,

Where the snows that fall are a trifle whiter,
Where the bonds of home are a wee bit tighter,

Out where the skies are a trifle bluer,
Out where friendship's a little truer,

Out where a fresher breeze is blowing,
Where there's laughter in every streamlet flowing,
Where there's more of reaping and less of sowing,

Out where the world is in the making,
Where fewer hearts in despair are aching, That's where the West begins.
Where there's more of singing and less of sighing,
Where there's more of giving and less of buying,
And a man makes friends without half trying,

Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
For Ray Eklund: My 1958 Caravanner 22' says on the door "Yurt on Wheels." and "Baby on Board" - for obvious reasons explained later. Paid $4,100 w/ no title in WI. Total gut to 2,180# and 300# tongue. 19' open concept, so it feels huge inside. Heat w/ wood to 20,000 Btu or military kerosene tent heater to 40,000 Btu or fire up 3500 watt (peak) generator on tongue with one or two up to 1500 watt electric space heaters. 2 Valcro hung bubble pack two sided wool curtains for 7' long bedroom at each end. 40 milk jugs, stored under beds during freezing weather. 18 refillable 1 pound propanes from a tradable 20# bottle, point source use. Boil shower water in air over water pressurized turkey fryer with foot air pump and hand held sprayer. At 40 below move water to bedroom under twin beds. 1 propane and 1 kerosene Coleman stove w/ 1 Coleman fold open oven. 2 NuWave 1000 watt induction cook plates. 1 whirlygig on each roof hatch in stead of fantastic fans. 2 Trojans T-105s, 2200 watt pure sine wave inverter. High tech all types battery charger w/ 100 amp jump. ViAir 100% duty air compressor w/ aluminum tank, 8,000 Btu roll out house A/C 10 storage totes (stackable) whose see thru side fold down to open. Card tables, lawn chairs. 2 Intec inflatable couches make into queens. A fold down foam twin bed in front of front and rear window. Spare on bumper. Electric jack (extends up higher than bottom of the "A" frame) and a new bulldog coupler. 4400# Dexter spindles chopped and mounted on swing arms with 2200# air bags so rig kneels fully to ground or 11" underbelly clearance for extreme back country travel (no longer a 1 piece axle underneath or lines or tank dump hardware). Work surfaces fold up or down from side walls. Coleman exponent outfitter camp kitchen. Cuisinart gas grill. Wall mounted funnel for men and 5 gallon bucket lined w/ toddler diapers for disposal in dumpsters. "Baby on Board". Kerosene or propane lamps and lanterns, 6v LED lanterns , or candles. 2 110v LED table/wall lamps. Foldable "Little Red Wagon" rolls various items, as needed, from cargo bed of Cadillac Escalade EXT. Fold out and down slant ramp to enter/exit or store generator when away.. Double door 110 v frig (never use) as built my own 4.5 cu ft ice chest. Go anywhere in any weather. No tanks or lines or wires or complex systems to maintain or winterize. All contents can move outside under awning. $11K invested. Sorry---I do gloat.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
BBU ----Some photos please. Really sounds neat. A customized "go anywhere, anytime " mobile space for living away from the grid, except for fuel. AEW
Old 11-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Wood Burning Fireplace where Oven is located?

Has anyone seen, found or used a wood burning fireplace in an Airstream or any other brand of trailer?

I have yet to see a Sheepherder's Wagon and the kind of wood burning stove they use, so will probably know next year in Wyoming.

Air can be drawn from the outside and smoke vented through the roof. It need not be large at all to produce the heat needed to warm the interior of an Airstream. Possibly a fan that is activated once the iron of the stove has reached a temperature within to be circulated with an on/off switch. Much like our home EPA approved fireplace but in a much smaller BTU size.

For Off the Grid campers... what have your heard?

BBU might have some suggestion(s) already having worked it out.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There have been a couple of threads here where folks have put marine sized woodburning stoves in their Airstreams.

These are in trailers permanently set up, of course.

Maggie
Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have seem a fan that uses the heat of the stove to generate electricity to run a fan to circulate the air.