Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Afraid to Boondock!

I live in the desert region of southern California. There are places in which I would like to boondock, some off them with access via washboarded roads. I've read on this board about stories of such vibrations actually knocking the cabinets loose.

I've had some trouble with 07 Bambi, so I'm a little gun-shy. Although I would really like to go camp where I can find solitude, I wonder if it's worth the risk. I could simply could camp at an actual campground, but that's not the same.

I realize that Airstreams are not off-road RVs, but I feel frustrated that maybe I need to treat the thing with kid gloves for fear that it will fall apart.

Thoughts?
rambn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I realize that Airstreams are not off-road RVs, but I feel frustrated that maybe I need to treat the thing with kid gloves for fear that it will fall apart.
My first thought is that the A/S will fare no worse than an SOB would, maybe better. IMO, it's a matter of being careful, going slow on rough roads and using some (not so common) common sense.
You are right, they aren't off road vehicles.
There are many secluded spots that are actually on or near a paved road, depending on how secluded you want.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Take your time on the roads and those things will go anywhere- haven't you seen the pictures of Stella Byam crossing the river in Mexico? Slow and steady and everything should arrive okay. If not- you know what things to secure differently next time Its an '07 trailer so it should be under warranty if the wheel falls off or the cabinets come detached- but really that shouldn't happen. Have fun- See More, Do More, Live More!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Rambn,

I drag a 25 er all over dirt roads and no roads in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts. These trailers are fantastic off road!

When you hit the washboards just s l o w d o w n. They are light enough so they don't sink in the sand and if your going slow they'll handle the rocks too.

I've done this with a 19 ftr and now with a 25 ftr. We have had caravans of Airstreams out in the desert without a breakdown or damage.

you bought an Airstream to go travel and adventure. Go do it! Don't let this unfounded worry stop you from enjoying the solitude, beauty and adventure of the wilderness. To limit yourself to a parking lot.. er.. campground is insane!

Please feel free to PM me with any questions, concerns or information you may want.

I'm telling you once you get out there you will find a whole new level of camping.

Can you tell I'm passionate about this?

We're out there all the time. Feel free to join us.

Milo

P.S. Don't forget that Wally led a caravan from Cape Town, So. Africa to Cairo Eygpt. The Mojave is a super highway compared to that.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Thanks for the prompt replies, I love that about this board!

One boondocking spot I'm considering is only about a half to three-quarter mile down the washboarded road, but it's pretty bad. I would have to go literally 5 MPH or so. It's a nice spot, but I a saw a couple of bees. (yikes)

I do really like the feel of boondocking, in a remote location though. I feel like it captures the spirit of the Airstream, eluded to in the previous response.

I'm not crazy wanting to boondock vs. go to a campground, am I?

I'll post a link for some pics, when I get my act together.

thanks again!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambn
I'm not crazy wanting to boondock vs. go to a campground, am I.
Nope, It means your sane.

So you have to go 5 m.p.h. So what?

Bees are drawn to water. If you're not leaking or seeping they'll leave you alone. They are also drawn to bright clothes so if you see bees don't wear Hawiian shirts.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Bees are drawn to water. If you're not leaking or seeping they'll leave you alone. They are also drawn to bright clothes so if you see bees don't wear Hawiian shirts.
And the yellow in firefighting clothing.

One big difference I notice between my Safari and my vintage GT is that the newer trailers have less ground clearance. You really need to be aware of where your waste plumbing/valve is in relation to the rock you are traversing.
As Milo (Goingcamping) says, get out there. Just be careful.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Tried Anza-Borrego?

Not too far from El Centro, the vast Anza-Borrego Desert SP will provide you years-worth of easy-to-access, seriously secluded, boondocking bliss

Want more info? Google "anza borrego desert campground". Seriously.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I trust these are not "killer bees". You are lucky if you find bees. They are becoming very hard to find in the US and farmers are getting worried. Without bees to pollinate the crops, we will be in a lot of trouble. Enjoy your peace and quiet and don't hurt the bees. They are our friends.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Easy does it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambn
One boondocking spot I'm considering is only about a half to three-quarter mile down the washboarded road, but it's pretty bad. I would have to go literally 5 MPH or so.
So, at 5mph it'll only take you 6-9 minutes to get there! What's the problem?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Yes, bees are sadly dissappearing and no one knows why. I would just hate to see my dog get stung. It happened once on his face, and was so sad. I always keep some allergy meds around for him.

The boondocking location that I'm looking at is in the Anza-Borrego SP. With all the desert around I can't really see the point in paying for a campground, although they do have one out on Highway S2 (near Hwy 78). The desert is wonderful and certainly does have ample room for seclusion while camping. However, many of the roads are of coure, soft sand and rocky. I do worry about the ground clearance of the pipes and stuff.

Having a 2WD TV (it's a 5.7L 07 Tundra) I'm not quite so confident. I usually like to do a little recon first, either in truck w/o trailer, or on foot or bike.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Rambn,

We had a wigged out wash-board road experience last year with our 19'er.

A couple of more suggestions: As mentioned above, go real slow, also allows for more time to miss things in the road up ahead.

Carry a spare tire. If you have it, you won't need it.

Using duct tape, tape the fridge, all cabinet doors, anything that you think could open during the ride.

Speaking of the fridge, make sure that there is nothing REAL heavy in the door shelves. I had to replace one of those after the six pack of bottled beer and carton of milk broke the bracket on the shelf. No big deal, right? Wrong, the stupid shelf cost close to $40.00 from Dometic!!!

I went around with a few screw drivers and made sure every visible, and some not so visible screws was tightened. Go from front to back. This includes checking the screws that attach hinges to doors/cabinets.

On our trip, the converter thing worked itself loose and was almost completely out of it's mounting under the closet. Check the screws that hold that in place. They are really dinky and someday I am going to replace mine with a screw/nut combination. I'd also place a board, 2x4 that wedges between the converter front to the otherside of the AS, just to make sure it stays in one place.

Pad anything breakable in the overheads, or better yet, place them in bins on the floor.

Drive in a lower gear too. You should be fine.

Jonathan
Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Bees may be attracted to the odorant in propane, so if you get them around your propane tanks, check for leaks.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Still Crazy after all these years

I'll probably get hackecd up pretty hard on this one...

When we have a doubt as to how the twink will fare, we stop and I get in the twink while Donna does whatever we're concerned about. After riding in it on a relatively smooth surface for 10 minutes, comparing it to some rough road is pretty straight forward.

We've taken the twink on some pretty nasty forest roads without obvious ill effects.

I'm with Goin Camping... enjoy - that's what we have 'em for

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
You all have inspired me with your suggestions.

crazylev: what converter is that?

It has been so long since I've been out in the Bambi. It really makes me sad.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
I'll probably get hackecd up pretty hard on this one...

When we have a doubt as to how the twink will fare, we stop and I get in the twink while Donna does whatever we're concerned about. After riding in it on a relatively smooth surface for 10 minutes, comparing it to some rough road is pretty straight forward.

We've taken the twink on some pretty nasty forest roads without obvious ill effects.

I'm with Goin Camping... enjoy - that's what we have 'em for
If I can talk wifey into that, I think that would be a good idea. She actually rode in the back one time at a campground. Said she couldn't believe the amount of vibration and movement back there.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Rambn,

It is the unit that is just under the tall closet. It has the circuit breakers and fuses in it. Between vanity and oven.

J
Old 03-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Welcom rambn!
You've gottin some sage advise from experienced streamers.

I too drag around my 28 footer into the back woods.
Yes it get scratched. Yes it can be upsetting, but only momentarely

Just take it nice and easy, and enjoy!

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravan-Club_1600Ebay.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	745.3 KB
ID:	55590  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Hey Rambn,

A group of us from CA. & AZ. are going boondocking at Quartzsite March 14,15,16. Let me know if you want to join in. It'll only be a couple of miles of maintained dirt road.

If when you enter your 19 ft There is a big wood door that opens to your pantry on your immediate left. Check those screws! Airstream uses the dinkiest screws for that rather heavy door. You don't want to know how I learned this.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Had the same problem with my 76 Sovereign doors going down the hall. They used the little pivot hinges and we have replaced them twice. These doors are too heavy for me to move alone, so I know what I'm talking about. We just gave up on the tiny pivot hinges and went with 4 cabinet hinges to keep the doors hanging where they belong. I'll tell you how we learned this. Bob ran over a curb towing this 31ft trailer home from Michigan. He was use to the 24ft and misjudged the turn.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote