Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
AC use when boondocking

OK, maybe it isn't really boondocking if you are using AC, but I didn't know how or where else to ask the question.

We live in Florida, and have done very little camping when we didn't need or at least really want to use the AC. Winter camping would be great without AC, but spots are hard to find unless you are willing to reserve 11 months in advance. As far as I can tell there are very few places we would go in the Southeast that don't at least have power.

I have a single Honda 2000i which would be useful to keep batteries charged and to run the microwave or coffee maker if we wanted to. For coffee we have a backup burr grinder and french press. For the microwave a dutch oven in the fire ring would suffice.

So my thoughts are that I probably would not get much use out of a second generator to run the AC.

Correct or not? What is your experience?

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I don't really understand your question. If you want to use your air conditioner you need another 2000 or a bigger generator. If you don't want a/c your current 2000 seems to work for you.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, you bring good points up, I bought 2 while I still have income so when the day comes that AC may be a necessity rather than a convenience, I can still get out in the woods.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sure could of used the AC in Key West the week before the state rally. But unfortunately I was dry camping and did not have a generator like all my neighbors. I am in the progress of fixing that with at least a 2400 watt generator. There were a couple of overcast days when the solar could not keep up with fans and basic lights.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So where there is a mod to the 2000 watt Honda that will start an AC. I believe they add a capacitor.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I don't really understand your question. If you want to use your air conditioner you need another 2000 or a bigger generator. If you don't want a/c your current 2000 seems to work for you.
I understand all that. I am trying to decide if I should buy another generator. What I am asking is for those who camp without access to electricity, do they find that they often want or need AC and do they carry enough generator and fuel to run an AC or wish they did?

A Honda EU2000i under full load will burn a gallon of gas in 4 hours. Actual consumption may be less because the AC unit may not be running all the time, but lets use 1/4 gallon per hour as a benchmark, assuming that one AC unit will be sufficient in the evening, and that one generator will carry it. As an aside, my EU2000i will run a 11,000 BTU Dometic unit.

So for a good 8 hours sleep I would need 2 gallons of gas or just over 3 gallons of propane. A 30 pound propane cylinder has about 7 gallons of propane. So operating a generator from propane would require a 30# tank about every two days, or a 6 gallon marine tank of gasoline hooked to the generator would last about 3 days. Either of these seems impractical, and these numbers would be cut in half if I had to run two generators.

I'm just looking for someone with experience to weigh in on the use of generators to power ACs when shore power is not available. Is it done much? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Living on the west coast I hardly ever use the AC. Having camped many places mostly west of the Rockies, I can count on one hand times I recall when I really wished I had an air conditioner. Of course most of my travel experience is in a popup without AC so maybe this doesnt count.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I go old school. Battery fans aimed at my head. I boondock a lot for work and the bambi can get crazy hot, but so far the fan has worked for me.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I understand all that. I am trying to decide if I should buy another generator. What I am asking is for those who camp without access to electricity, do they find that they often want or need AC and do they carry enough generator and fuel to run an AC or wish they did?
Nope. We move around a lot. But I haven't found myself wanting the A/C yet. And we are one year in now. I am actually probably going to remove the A/C in the next month or so.

If you venture to cooler climates or go with the weather it isn't an issue. But if you are stuck someplace hot, maybe it could be one.

For us though, we thought about this. We never bought a second. And just recently after the lithium upgrade I was debating the 3000 watt hybird with the wife. Becuase it would allow us to run the A/C with the generator.

But we just don't need 3000 watts. Out 600-watt inverter has worked for a year. And we haven't wanted the A/C once. So why go through the cost?

That's where we are at.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
So where there is a mod to the 2000 watt Honda that will start an AC. I believe they add a capacitor.
The addition of a capacitor (there are already 2 that are part of the engineered design) will not allow you to start the compressor unless it is one hell of a large capacitor!

I have many lithium battery based systems on the road now that use Magnum's MSH-3012M hybrid inverter/charger. Most of these folks carry a single 2000 watt generator that WILL start and run the single roof A/C flawlessly using the Magnum's load support feature.

I can tell you with certainty that while observing the ME-RC remote along with the Blue Sky battery monitor panels, the initial transient jolt that the compressor requires is in excess of 3000 watts. As this is a starting transient, the inverter is fully capable of handling this, as is a standard 20 amp 120VAC circuit or 3000 watt generator, but I would be hard pressed to find a capacitor with the same ability.

And not to mention that an additional capacitor will definitely put a huge strain on the compressor and WILL void the warranty of any new unit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I use my generator to run my air conditioner any time I don't have shore power and the trailer gets uncomfortably warm.

I used it today while temporarily camped out at a WalMart in the Texas panhandle. It made what would have been an uncomfortable nap super refreshing.

Why wouldn't I? I didn't buy a trailer to suffer the elements needlessly.

I use my generator on EVERY trip at some point or another, I don't leave home without it.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
We have two Honda 2000s. We bought the standard model 11 yrs ago, and bring it on every trip. We bought the companion three years ago, and have yet to use it to run the AC on a trip. I do bring both generators if we are heading into hot conditions, and am sure we will use both in the future, but haven't yet.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We usually found that the Fantastic Fan on high pulled enough air thru that sleep was comfortable unless the humidity was really high.

Closing windows but for the ones by the bed intensify the draw in those specific areas.

If you are going to be in elevations of any sort , humidity is usually low and nights are cool, making AC unnecessary.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
Kim & Roger

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ventura County , California
I think the more important question would be what how does your spouse handle the heat and humidity? There's that old saying "Happy wife, happy life".

We camp mostly in RV campgrounds in and around Paso Robles CA where we have 30 amp service and have used the A/C on more than 1 occasion where the temps can get over 100 degrees. We also made a trip out to the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque where we were dry camping and have 2 Honda Eu2000i generators for just such an occasion. With the generators I have a 6 gallon portable fuel container with dual feeds. Only had to use the generators on rare occasions during our time there. Never had to refuel the portable. I've also upgraded the deep cycle batteries to Lifeline AGM 6V's and have three solar panels mounted. 12v fans are also very helpful in circulating the air if not hooked up to shore power.

There is only one time where the single Dometic A/C was not capable of keeping up with the heat. Outside temp was 110+ and the wife parked herself right under the vent for the A/C and still was not being adequately cooled. We moved outside and used fans and a mister system on the awning to help keep cool during that time. The AS can get very warm inside.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.” - Mark Twain
Kimberlydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I've used mine exactly twice for AC and was glad to have them. Both times the weather was unseasonably warm. Both times a member of our group was feeling ill when we got to the camp spot and both times I didn't need them after the sun set and the air cooled. So... I would say: Plan to camp where and when you won't need to generate power for overnight AC but if you want to travel like a Boy Scout (be prepared) and take the sharp edges off the occasional unplanned rough spot of camping then get the second unit. For battery charging I alternate between the two Honda 2000s I bring along. That gives them both exercise and should extend the life of each. I also run only on LP which I believe is safer and which improves reliability.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
I have two Honda 2000 generators

I bought two Honda 2000 generators, just so that I can boondock in the desert in the summer. I always carry them on long trips. I have a nice trailer because I want all the creature comforts, Blu-ray, microwave, My wife wants/needs a large fan for background noise to sleep, I use a CPAP for my sleeping, and we need A/C when we camp in the desert SW USA. I live in MD and travel for a month or more each summer to AZ,NM,UT,CO,NV and/or TX. The first two days/nights of interstate travel, I drive for 10-12 hours until I have had enough, find a nice rest area or suitable spot for the night, hook up both Honda's and I have all the power I need. I have my routine so that I am up and running in 5-10 minutes. With the new ducted vents, one A/C will do unless it is over 100 degrees. Once I get out to the SW, I will find a campground with full hookups for a few nights to fill up on water, dump the tanks, get a little CATV, then spend a few nights out in the boonies with the Hondas, and then start again. So I find two generators suit my needs perfectly.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Gardnerville , Nevada
Generator and A/C

I have two Honda 2000's that I run in series connection, and they power our a/c very well. We dry camp in arid Nevada and California. I have never regretted the purchase of the second unit. Don't need it except when a/c is in use, but when needed, it helps create a welcome relief from the heat. Gas consumption is not a significant issue, as I carry a spare five gallon tank in my truck. Get a second unit with a series connector, and quit worrying about it.
rpm3129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
We live in deep south and often travel thru the southwest...it's often either hot and humid or hotter'n hell (100+) in the shade. The AS ac can at best lower daytime temps by 10 degrees on a hot sunny day in west TX, and even less on a hot and humid day when most of the 15000 BTU is just doing latent cooling that you can't even feel. RVing in a Bud Lite can in the deep south and southwest summer heat requires all the AC available. We carry a 6500 Honda.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The OP lives in (gulp) Florida. I fully understand the a/c question. Plus needing to reserve 11 months in advance - I get that too, big time, because it's the story of our lives. That same combination of factors is exactly why we got, and will stick with, the Airstream Interstate, when I initially wanted an Airstream trailer instead. Husband disagreed, husband won the argument, and I'm glad he did. We outfitted our Interstate with extra solar and can go to all those places in the winter months that we would never have been able to reserve due to access pressures. Accessibility is not nearly the insurmountable obstacle when one has off-grid stealth capability because one appears to be a large personal motor vehicle instead of a trailer.

So our solution to the a/c dilemma is to ride with the weather and skip the a/c pretty much altogether by skipping the summer months. I don't use a/c at all except when there is a quasi-emergency (like a late October heat wave, for instance). I have at times boondocked in the deep south in June, but most people wouldn't want to take that on. Conditions are harsh. Humidity around 100%, overnight lows about 77 degrees but that only lasts about five minutes before it's hotter all over again.

Our local camping season is now coming to an end just as the rest of the country is gearing up for theirs. My last camp-out was April 13 and I had intended to squeeze in a few more short trips, but the Texas floods hit on April 18 and Houston is expecting more flooding tomorrow, so this season got cut short.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
My apologies for digressing, but do you who use 2 2,000 w Honda generators to run your air conditioner run them in economy mode, so they speed up when under demand, or do you run them full speed all the time? I've noticed that one 2,000 w generator works well in economy mode for using the microwave, etc., but I'm not sure if that is true for two of them running the AC.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote