Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member
2014 23' International
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Palos Verdes , California
AC use when boondocking

We found our problem......we think!
We took off all 4 intake vents and the black foam filters were full of dust and ????
After we took them off and vented the tops of the generators, we were able to run 1 of the AC units for 15minutes. My husband thought of this after we left the 100 Central Valley.
We could feel an immediate cooling during that time.
We should have known to check those, because our home AC unit was compromised and not cooling because of the same issues.

The only reason we ran for 15 minutes is because we tried in front of our home which is on a curve with a 15% hill

BFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:03 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member
2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
OK, maybe it isn't really boondocking if you are using AC, but I didn't know how or where else to ask the question.

We live in Florida, and have done very little camping when we didn't need or at least really want to use the AC. Winter camping would be great without AC, but spots are hard to find unless you are willing to reserve 11 months in advance. As far as I can tell there are very few places we would go in the Southeast that don't at least have power.

I have a single Honda 2000i which would be useful to keep batteries charged and to run the microwave or coffee maker if we wanted to. For coffee we have a backup burr grinder and french press. For the microwave a dutch oven in the fire ring would suffice.

So my thoughts are that I probably would not get much use out of a second generator to run the AC.

Correct or not? What is your experience?

I have two so the option always exists to use the a/c.

VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:16 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member
2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We usually found that the Fantastic Fan on high pulled enough air thru that sleep was comfortable unless the humidity was really high.

Closing windows but for the ones by the bed intensify the draw in those specific areas.

If you are going to be in elevations of any sort , humidity is usually low and nights are cool, making AC unnecessary.

The discussion is centered on a/c. What about having the ability to run the convection microwave or new a cup of coffee with a coffee maker.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #74
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, sometimes the generators won't work, for whatever reason.

Offering tips on how to become reasonably comfortable, using just the Fantastic Fans, as sometimes that is all you have.

If your generator is working, your small appliances should run.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #75
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
AC use when boondocking

Your generator(s) should be producing WAY more power than is required to run the air conditioner, and WAY MORE power than is required to TRIP THE 20 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER that supplies your air conditioner.

Something is up.

A. You have a large unexplained current draw;

B. Your generator(s) are not producing the power they should.

Something is not as it should be.

Originally Posted by BFamily View Post
Thank you to those that replied!
We manually turned off the water heater and put the refrigerator on gas.
We made sure everything was off, but zone 2, and it turned on for 15 secs and then turned off with error code E7 :-(
I guess back to the dealer to check out the AC. We should be able to run one of the units with 2 of the Honda 2000i's in parallel .

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote