Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I've used mine exactly twice for AC and was glad to have them. Both times the weather was unseasonably warm. Both times a member of our group was feeling ill when we got to the camp spot and both times I didn't need them after the sun set and the air cooled. So... I would say: Plan to camp where and when you won't need to generate power for overnight AC but if you want to travel like a Boy Scout (be prepared) and take the sharp edges off the occasional unplanned rough spot of camping then get the second unit. For battery charging I alternate between the two Honda 2000s I bring along. That gives them both exercise and should extend the life of each. I also run only on LP which I believe is safer and which improves reliability.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
I have two Honda 2000 generators

I bought two Honda 2000 generators, just so that I can boondock in the desert in the summer. I always carry them on long trips. I have a nice trailer because I want all the creature comforts, Blu-ray, microwave, My wife wants/needs a large fan for background noise to sleep, I use a CPAP for my sleeping, and we need A/C when we camp in the desert SW USA. I live in MD and travel for a month or more each summer to AZ,NM,UT,CO,NV and/or TX. The first two days/nights of interstate travel, I drive for 10-12 hours until I have had enough, find a nice rest area or suitable spot for the night, hook up both Honda's and I have all the power I need. I have my routine so that I am up and running in 5-10 minutes. With the new ducted vents, one A/C will do unless it is over 100 degrees. Once I get out to the SW, I will find a campground with full hookups for a few nights to fill up on water, dump the tanks, get a little CATV, then spend a few nights out in the boonies with the Hondas, and then start again. So I find two generators suit my needs perfectly.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #17

2012 22' FB Sport
Gardnerville , Nevada
Generator and A/C

I have two Honda 2000's that I run in series connection, and they power our a/c very well. We dry camp in arid Nevada and California. I have never regretted the purchase of the second unit. Don't need it except when a/c is in use, but when needed, it helps create a welcome relief from the heat. Gas consumption is not a significant issue, as I carry a spare five gallon tank in my truck. Get a second unit with a series connector, and quit worrying about it.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
We live in deep south and often travel thru the southwest...it's often either hot and humid or hotter'n hell (100+) in the shade. The AS ac can at best lower daytime temps by 10 degrees on a hot sunny day in west TX, and even less on a hot and humid day when most of the 15000 BTU is just doing latent cooling that you can't even feel. RVing in a Bud Lite can in the deep south and southwest summer heat requires all the AC available. We carry a 6500 Honda.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The OP lives in (gulp) Florida. I fully understand the a/c question. Plus needing to reserve 11 months in advance - I get that too, big time, because it's the story of our lives. That same combination of factors is exactly why we got, and will stick with, the Airstream Interstate, when I initially wanted an Airstream trailer instead. Husband disagreed, husband won the argument, and I'm glad he did. We outfitted our Interstate with extra solar and can go to all those places in the winter months that we would never have been able to reserve due to access pressures. Accessibility is not nearly the insurmountable obstacle when one has off-grid stealth capability because one appears to be a large personal motor vehicle instead of a trailer.

So our solution to the a/c dilemma is to ride with the weather and skip the a/c pretty much altogether by skipping the summer months. I don't use a/c at all except when there is a quasi-emergency (like a late October heat wave, for instance). I have at times boondocked in the deep south in June, but most people wouldn't want to take that on. Conditions are harsh. Humidity around 100%, overnight lows about 77 degrees but that only lasts about five minutes before it's hotter all over again.

Our local camping season is now coming to an end just as the rest of the country is gearing up for theirs. My last camp-out was April 13 and I had intended to squeeze in a few more short trips, but the Texas floods hit on April 18 and Houston is expecting more flooding tomorrow, so this season got cut short.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
My apologies for digressing, but do you who use 2 2,000 w Honda generators to run your air conditioner run them in economy mode, so they speed up when under demand, or do you run them full speed all the time? I've noticed that one 2,000 w generator works well in economy mode for using the microwave, etc., but I'm not sure if that is true for two of them running the AC.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Well, this wasn't really a poll, but the results are 3 AC users, 4 who don't. It is closer than I thought it would be and has me thinking more about getting the second generator. I was mostly concerned with fuel consumption, thinking I wouln't be able to carry enough to make the AC useful for more than 2-3 nights.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:22 AM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I would just go out and see how bad you want it first. None of us are you two after all.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I was mostly concerned with fuel consumption, thinking I wouln't be able to carry enough to make the AC useful for more than 2-3 nights.
Al
To get longer run time, i Purchased one of these, they work great:
http://www.amazon.com/IPI-BERG-Dual-.../dp/B003BURT3C
Old 04-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Dunedin , Florida
Where can you boondocks in Key West. I've been staying at the state parks but can't in Bahia Honda. Wanted to go further south without the high fees at an RV resort Thanks
Old 04-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Don't think you can. Too many ordinances.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
Where can you boondocks in Key West. I've been staying at the state parks but can't in Bahia Honda. Wanted to go further south without the high fees at an RV resort Thanks

Are you retired Military or civil service? If so the Navy has two areas with dry camping available for $14 a night. No hookups but does have available swimming pool, clean showers, water and dump. 10 minute walk to all the action from one of the areas.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
We bought the twin to the 2000 and the work well for 1 air conditioner, I am told the will not run 2 even with all other users off.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryglarson View Post
We bought the twin to the 2000 and the work well for 1 air conditioner, I am told the will not run 2 even with all other users off.
Correct, the two 2000 will only run A/C.