Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
A 'Real Boondocking Site'?

“Real Boondocking Site?”

I read a comment on another Thread about: “I’d like to find a site (meaning website other than the AirForum) that’s helpful and in favor of Boondocking, instead of the old red vs blue debate.”

I happen to be ‘clear’ like the air and water where I camp. Good sites are by discovery and hard work planning and often find disappointment.

I found it best not to make comment. This individual may have never offered one sentence to further Boondocking or their experiences as a Thread or a Post, anywhere. Not one. I am too lazy to investigate and really, do not care.

The AirForum has a Boondocking Forum. There are, currently, 751 independent threads. On the current screen, 43 showing. These 43 Threads get the majority of attention. The true Gems are found by digging through pages of Threads.

Boondocking to many is a RV Park with facilities. Convenient to a National Park or popular landmark… but empty, so they can come anytime they want to visit. This is not Boondocking to me, but this is well covered on the Forum and a popular interpretation. These sites are booked a year in advance and you pay well for the opportunity.

Boondocking 'Off the Grid’ is more to my liking. I have run this through the Forum so many times, that even I am tired of explaining. I am sure you are, as well.

What some individuals want is for everyone ELSE to offer where to camp and provide information how to: Get there, scan a map with an X, facilities, best time of the year, things to do, road conditions, can you have a pit fire, restroom facilities, are there bugs, drinking water, the best places to fish, is there a town nearby with recreation for children, is there a hospital in the area… and on.

The AirForum is an excellent source of information. So much information, it could be the source for any brand of trailer owner.

For those who have no clue what they are asking, nor any idea of which end of a hand pump the water comes out, I can be a bit blunt by nature.

There are no Boondocking sites in Brooklyn. Again, none on top of Pikes Peak. No… none in downtown Boulder, Colorado. Boondocking is an IDEA, not a well documented place that everyone is aware and goes, often. You discover these sites. Look at the 2016 Wyoming Boondocking Thread. It gives you a long list of some of the best Boondocking sites in western Wyoming. If the location is in a book, magazine, camping guide… I will not be in the area.

As Thalweg, Snow and Mojo and so many others have tried to explain… find your own place, that fits your needs and time frame. Boondocking has a different meaning to each individual. Find your own ‘Real Boondocking Site’. Many would not like MY Off the Grid camping, but those who do… it is a world of its own. Let those who prefer to explore the RV Park Boondocking with facilities experience and you will do fine. There are thousands in a multitude of websites and magazines.

Before complaining that no one has offered up a wonderful secret location far off the beaten path, explain in a Thread of your own what you are looking for and why. Do not be too surprised... if many Forum Members respond. We love to share, but like to keep some places... just to ourselves.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
works for me
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Well said Ray. The fact remains that there are hundreds of square miles in the West to boondock. That is if you're content to just pull off the road, sit outside and stare off into oblivion.

Oh, but you want a list of the best FREE places to camp that have great mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, fishing, and other activities as well? That is another topic within itself. There are quite a few of these spots, many of them already documented on blogs and forums. But do not be surprised to find that you will not be alone and/or maybe shut-out because of the crowd already there.

Many of us are willing to share advice and relate great camping locations on these forums. That is until we are criticized for our beliefs, activities, or camping "style". The best part of traveling with our covered wagons in tow is not knowing what is around the next corner in the road, exploring new territory and spending hours pouring over maps to find what might be a neat spot to visit.

If you want to boondock, just stop in at any forest service/public lands office along the road and ask. Stop and ask the locals. You might be surprised how welcoming people can be if you ask first.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we boondocked at Wal-Mart a few times. We also stopped at a few camp grounds that had no connections what-so-ever. We didn't plan these stops, they just happened on our way to destinations.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I just got off of another group where they were looking for free camp sites in south Florida. Ain't no such thing is not the answer they were looking for. lol
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Our experience may be more limited than some of the Old Timers, but we will happily share what information we have on good boondocking sites, notably in central and southern Utah. (We're picking up on the Mojave desert south of Death Valley, as well.)

Also, for easterners or western city folks who want a more back-country desert experience but who would like to set up a site prior to making those back-of-beyond reconnaissance excursions, we would recommend "primitive" campsites maintained by the Bureau of Land Management. I would suggest checking with the local BLM field office first, as some of them do not have any or many sites for longer trailers. But a lot of them are on graded roads and your supremely wild experience will be diminished principally by having a picnic table and a fire ring at your site, plus pit toilets. We've often camped at such places with zero other campers: it depends where they are. (Typically no water or sani-dump on site.) The advantage is, again, a decent road and the probability that someone will check the site periodically in case you have a problem.

From a campsite you know you can get in and out of, you're then in a good position to go off on an adventure in just your TV scouting out something more secluded.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
“Real Boondocking Site?”

I read a comment on another Thread about: “I’d like to find a site (meaning website other than the AirForum) that’s helpful and in favor of Boondocking, instead of the old red vs blue debate.”

Before complaining that no one has offered up a wonderful secret location far off the beaten path, explain in a Thread of your own what you are looking for and why. Do not be too surprised... if many Forum Members respond. We love to share, but like to keep some places... just to ourselves.
I have to laugh at this post! Mine not yours! Just about done on my renovation and have started thinking about next spring summer full time on the road travels.

So I hit the search bar looking for a "Real Boondocking" site. And guess what I found it...Thanks! I am now gleaning stuff for next year.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hi folks, seen most of you on the forums for a while, as this is one of our favorite topics going to follow/jump in. A quickie from this past August (2020)... sitting in our new apartment in Lakewood, CO, searched for "dispersed camping" near Denver (which I've done many times), looked at one of the first results and said "huh, I know where that is). Said to my wife let's pack some snacks and drinks and the dog, we can be there in 45 minutes or less, let's go check it out. We did. The specific place we were looking for we found and liked but the road in was quite poor for my likes. Nevertheless, there were 5th wheels and horse trailers and others in there. I don't know if I could go slow enough ('68 Overlander, 6 months after finish of reno.) Buuuut, right across the beautiful, scenic road was an older, primitive FS campground. 15 spots, newer fault toilets (sparkling clean), hand water pump, stunning view and no one there. No electric, no dump, no cell signal, we loved it. Went back the following week for 5 nights and it was great.
Just got to get out, go and do it. Admittedly, easier to do here in Colorado than some other places.
Safe travels... Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote