Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A boondocking Airstream

I have often thought that new Airstreams were generally made to look pretty and nice on the showroom floor but were/are not designed for those of us who camp without hookups the majority of time. For me that was 47 nights this season.

I think Airstream should make a Boondock version for those of us who use them that way. Here are my thoughts on what it would have. No priority on order, this is just a list to begin with. Add to it as you feel appropriate.

1. Much larger than normal water and holding tanks. 50 gal for water, 30 to 35 each for gray and black water, even on smaller (say 20’) rigs. You don’t use less water just because your trailer is shorter.

2. Much more robust 12 volt electrical system with at least two 6 volt golf cart batteries, or other battery options. A quality designed solar system as standard, minimum of 200 watts or more.

3. A converter/charger which is 3 stage (for all Airstreams).

4. A quality inverter, with a very low idle draw when not in use (vs. the almost 2 amp draw of the one they supply now).

5. A true Use/Store switch which shuts off all 12 volt battery electrical power to everything, so you could properly store your AS without having to physically disconnect the batteries. The current Use/Store switch is a joke as it leaves some items on.

5. An optional (not standard) radio/DVD/television package. I virtually never use mine and think others are similar. I don’t go out camping to watch television.

6. An easy to clean smooth vinyl floor. The one on my 2014 FC 20 has little simulated wood grooves in it which are almost impossible to clean easily.

7. An option for clear windows. If I am out camping under the trees, the damn dark windows make it gloomy and often require lights to be on even on bright days. The dark pano front window with dark protector cover makes it so almost no light comes through. My old ’74 Argosy is great with it’s clear front pano windows and clear side windows.

8. A good low flow shower which shuts off totally, and does not dribble water when the hand button is pressed to off.

9. Locate the water heater close to the kitchen and bathroom so less water is wasted to get hot water to the faucets.

10. Winterizing drain valves which actually have a chance of draining things, not the pretend ones AS supplies.

11. Enclosed and heated black and gray water dump valves. One stupid design on my 20’ FC is heated tanks but totally exposed dump valves so the water remains liquid in the tanks, but can and will freeze between the tank and the valve.

12. An optional slightly higher clearance (2 or 3 inches) for those who travel in rough country.

13. Decent tires as standard, not ST’s.

I am sure you can come up with additional ideas.

However, I doubt that anyone at Airstream is listening.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Love this concept, and totally agree. Great list of features, but here are a couple of additional ideas:

> much better insulation
> optional AGM or Lithium batteries
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Brilliant, I want my new 26U (still dreaming) to have all those suggestions except #5.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink First.......

........lets give them another 80yrs before starting something new.

Bob
Old 10-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ad #14
Composite floors, baffles me that Airstream still uses plywood after continuing issues of leaks and rot.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Regarding #9....

A little extra PEX and a small circulation pump would permit the hot water to be a circuit rather than a bunch of home runs; this is what hotels do so you don't wait forever for hot water. Pump could run for one minute out of every five the water heater is on, and you'd have instant hot water. This would save prob. 1/3 gallon of water in our Airstream...

The best way to extend range of both fresh and gray water tanks is to use less; a true low flow shower head makes a huge difference.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Great ideas. But considering the difficulty AS has pulling off their normal models, yeah 80 years!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Brilliant, I want my new 26U (still dreaming) to have all those suggestions except #5.
Ha Ha. Which one?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
For #8 install one of these between the hose and head. Works fine for me.

http://www.wayfair.com/Danco-Shower-...FQ8WHwodh08PdQ
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Ha Ha. Which one?

Good catch, #5B I like my tunes and movies on rainy days.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I want an air bag suspension to allow additional ground clearance with the flip of a switch.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
I have thought about this too and I agree. I would add either raising the dump valves up for more clearance or a skid plate to protect them.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
What I think would sell (if Airstream needed more sales) is an Airstream, not too heavily modified or optioned, which was more specifically tuned for boondocking, not Glamping. The suggestions I made in the original post are my thoughts on what might be easily done without a total re design of the trailers to make them more boondock friendly.

Sure, things like better floors would be nice, but they don't improve the boondocking situation. Better insulation would require thicker walls, and that is not going to happen either. What I would like is an optional boondocking package or some options which would improve the boondocking capabilities straight from the factory, not having to be added on after purchase as I have done with many of the boondocking electrical suggestions mentioned in my original post. Also, things like larger tank capacity is almost impossible to add after purchase, but easy to do in the original design and building. Same with non freezing tank valves.

Just wondering, if a boondocking package or version of an Airstream were offered, would you consider it if you were buying a new Airstream? Would it increase or decrease the value of the rig in your mind?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Good point to focus on changes that do not require major redesign, makes it much more likely we will see them.

Since we are on the "camping" end of the user spectrum and primarily stay in State and National Parks, if such a package were offered I would definitely add it to any future Airstream purchase. It would significantly increase the value of the rig in my mind, but I am less certain about it increasing the value to the average buyer.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Good point to focus on changes that do not require major redesign, makes it much more likely we will see them.

Since we are on the "camping" end of the user spectrum and primarily stay in State and National Parks, if such a package were offered I would definitely add it to any future Airstream purchase. It would significantly increase the value of the rig in my mind, but I am less certain about it increasing the value to the average buyer.
Absolutely would increase the appeal and value for us too.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #16

Chevy Chase , Maryland
Yes! I would be interested in an FC 20, Boondock Edition! Great idea.
prelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
boon docking AS

I have a 2004 25ft that I have added most of the features that were listed. Also 2 90watt solar panels that keep the 2 6 volt golf cart batteries charged. A three stage converter/charger that works great. I still have a 39 gal water tanks it would be nice to a larger tank but have gone 6 days easy without watching water use closely. I'm almost always ready to move on after 6 or 7 days anyway.
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Great points

I thoroughly agree with your points, especially considering that I believe that more than 1/2 of Airstreamers DO boondock more often that staying somewhere with full hookups. I only stay in a campground if it is more convenient, like spending several days visiting a large city (museums, relatives, etc.), otherwise we try to get as far from civilization as possible, particularly when in the Western states.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We would be attracted to a boondocking/off road/off grid/ in the tullies package also.

Our opinion doesn't really matter as we would likely never buy (afford) a newer model anyways.

We currently camp in our Vintage models and will continue to outfit them towards boondockers versus hookups.

That was one of our stipulations for buying our trailers. Keep one of them intact enough at all times so we can still camp. They are both water repellant and road safe.

Very nice tents.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
I used to boondock for extended periods when I was a contractor for the USFS.

The following would be nice:

12V television--wouldn't need inverter and its 24/7 drain

Multiband radio--CB/Short Wave/Television FM plus normal AM/FM--with appropriate roof-top antenna.

Thermal isolation of frame from interior skin. Aluminum is an excellent heat conductor and current Airsteam set up is a highly effective radiator (outer skin) thermally connected by that excellent heat conducting frame to the interior skin (collector). So the trailer is really cold at night and really warm if the sun shines.

Insulation below the floor and holding tanks.

Solar tracking mount for solar cell panels.

Some way to fill trailer water reservoir from 2 1/2 gallon water jug that is a closed system (to avoid contamination).

Better axles--3400 lb axles on a 7600 lb GVW trailer on rough terrain means overloading the axles repeatedly. Ditto tires.

Thanks for a great thread idroba. Pulled our 31' Sovereign thru Kooksia years ago.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote