Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Good point to focus on changes that do not require major redesign, makes it much more likely we will see them.

Since we are on the "camping" end of the user spectrum and primarily stay in State and National Parks, if such a package were offered I would definitely add it to any future Airstream purchase. It would significantly increase the value of the rig in my mind, but I am less certain about it increasing the value to the average buyer.
Absolutely would increase the appeal and value for us too.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #16

Chevy Chase , Maryland
Yes! I would be interested in an FC 20, Boondock Edition! Great idea.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
boon docking AS

I have a 2004 25ft that I have added most of the features that were listed. Also 2 90watt solar panels that keep the 2 6 volt golf cart batteries charged. A three stage converter/charger that works great. I still have a 39 gal water tanks it would be nice to a larger tank but have gone 6 days easy without watching water use closely. I'm almost always ready to move on after 6 or 7 days anyway.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Great points

I thoroughly agree with your points, especially considering that I believe that more than 1/2 of Airstreamers DO boondock more often that staying somewhere with full hookups. I only stay in a campground if it is more convenient, like spending several days visiting a large city (museums, relatives, etc.), otherwise we try to get as far from civilization as possible, particularly when in the Western states.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
We would be attracted to a boondocking/off road/off grid/ in the tullies package also.

Our opinion doesn't really matter as we would likely never buy (afford) a newer model anyways.

We currently camp in our Vintage models and will continue to outfit them towards boondockers versus hookups.

That was one of our stipulations for buying our trailers. Keep one of them intact enough at all times so we can still camp. They are both water repellant and road safe.

Very nice tents.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
I used to boondock for extended periods when I was a contractor for the USFS.

The following would be nice:

12V television--wouldn't need inverter and its 24/7 drain

Multiband radio--CB/Short Wave/Television FM plus normal AM/FM--with appropriate roof-top antenna.

Thermal isolation of frame from interior skin. Aluminum is an excellent heat conductor and current Airsteam set up is a highly effective radiator (outer skin) thermally connected by that excellent heat conducting frame to the interior skin (collector). So the trailer is really cold at night and really warm if the sun shines.

Insulation below the floor and holding tanks.

Solar tracking mount for solar cell panels.

Some way to fill trailer water reservoir from 2 1/2 gallon water jug that is a closed system (to avoid contamination).

Better axles--3400 lb axles on a 7600 lb GVW trailer on rough terrain means overloading the axles repeatedly. Ditto tires.

Thanks for a great thread idroba. Pulled our 31' Sovereign thru Kooksia years ago.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Considering how much they over-charge for the pathetic solar they already install, no thank you. It was fairly cheap in comparison to prep my Airstream for boondocking. Some of you are just over thinking it.

Personally I would like to see improvements made in the R value of the trailers. That's the big issue holding back camping in some climates in my opinion.

To each their own though.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Gee, that almost sounds like the way my 87 Excella is set up! Fresh water is 55 gal, gray 35 gal waste 30 gal. I have 365 watts solar feeding into 2 4D-sized AGM batteries with a Xantrex FS3012 charger/inverter as well as a blue-flame heater. The shower head is Oxygenics, which gives the feel of a *real* shower. The older (1980's) AS layouts provided less open spaces and more storage/useful spaces, such as a shower with a sit-down bench and a built-in laundry hamper.

I find the only limited factor to be the waste tank - when it's full I need to find a dump station. I carry a couple of 5-gallon water jugs, which I fill whenever I find a water spigot, and then I transfer it to the fresh water tank.

Most of my boondocking is during the winters in AZ & NV.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Personally I would like to see improvements made in the R value of the trailers. That's the big issue holding back camping in some climates in my opinion.
Does the hivemind think that sprayed-in insulation would improve the R-Value? Just curious.

Thank you to the OP for this valuable thread. I've bookmarked it so I can keep track of what not to forget on my Streamline rebuild. We boondock 75% of the time.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
Does the hivemind think that sprayed-in insulation would improve the R-Value? Just curious.

Thank you to the OP for this valuable thread. I've bookmarked it so I can keep track of what not to forget on my Streamline rebuild. We boondock 75% of the time.
I don't think it's viable, especially if you boondock. All the spray in generally hardens, not all, but most. And then imagine it cracking after a few dirt roads.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The yellow fiberglass insulation used in the manufacture of stoves has a much higher R value than pink fiberglass. I had an acquaintance who manufactured pizza ovens and he used the denser yellow fiberglass.

I recall a contractor who made commercial equipment trailers for use in the far north (in the arctic where temperatures went as low as -50C), and they had a subcontractor who sprayed some kind of foam insulation which was shaved down to about4 or 5 inches thickness before the inner panels were installed. However, these trailers did not travel long distances over all kinds of roads like our AS trailers do.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
There are two types of spray foam insulation: open cell and closed cell. Open cell is soft and pliable, closed cell is hard and rigid.

So you can get around the issues with spray foam. The real issue is the magnificent conductive properties of aluminum - basically it is one of the worst possible choices for insulation. Sadly, a wood frame SOB would fare much better in a cold climate. Don't belive me, then tell me that time you all saw wood wires.

Let's face it, we love our Airstreams because they are so damn cool.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would like to see the Eddie Bauer 25/27 concept reworked as a traveler/boondocker edition, many of the items mentioned without the decorator influence. Just the goods. Call it the Airstream Traveler, designed for travel capability and comfort, not showroom bling.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Regarding #9....

A little extra PEX and a small circulation pump would permit the hot water to be a circuit rather than a bunch of home runs; this is what hotels do so you don't wait forever for hot water.
The best way to extend range of both fresh and gray water tanks is to use less; a true low flow shower head makes a huge difference.

- Bart
Like the return line idea. a smaller diameter line would work too. As for using less water you have not met my DW.