Old 11-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have a 30' Classic and we have boondocked and camped in some crazy places. Because the wheels of the trailer are almost in the middle of the trailer, the trailer follows the TV quite well. The big thing is to go slow and watch for obstructions. Stay away from trees, yes I know first hand.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
We have a 25' FC FB, and there are very few places where we've taken the trailer that a 27' couldn't go. I like our trailer a lot, but a 27' with north-south bed would be even nicer!

Old 11-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #17
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I can't speak for the rest of the planet, but we do camp annually in southern Utah, where there are big boondocking sites in a lot of national forest and BLM lands. The Utahns seem to enjoy traveling in multiple family groups with big 5th wheels. Similarly, you could over-winter near or south of Quartzite, Arizona on BLM land, joining thousands of big rigs.

We find that there's boondocking and boondocking. A repeatedly used site will have lost a lot of its natural vegetation, and may even contain broken glass & human waste, if some slobs got there before you did. In contrast, a designated BLM campground can be in a remote area and have hardly anybody else there, and be maintained regularly. But these tend to be designed for smaller units or tent-camping.

The problem of roads has been mentioned. Dirt and even gravel roads can be in rough shape with rocks and deep ruts, so it's best to inquire ahead. If you have your eye on a particular locale you can phone the nearest BLM field office re: road conditions and good boondocking sites. And roads can be impassable due to gumbo-like mud during & after a rain storm, so just stock up on essentials if you have to wait it out.

We entertained the possibility of getting a longer AS but settled on the 19' Bambi as giving us the most flexibility. Most of the more primitive campgrounds have sites for longer units, but not many and these tend to fill up. We have camped in our 19-footer for 6 weeks at a pop, but usually alternate the more remote destinations with periodic RV park overnights to catch up on laundry, email (no Wi-Fi or even cell phone service in the desert boonies,) and supplies.

I don't know what your TV would be, but a truck with a topper (cap) over the back provides a lot of storage. That way you wouldn't need a longer unit just for storage.

This is us, boondocking in the North San Rafael Swell in Utah this past October.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi San Rafael.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	252919  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
BoldAdventure & Len & Jeanne:
Thanks for sharing the photos. I was interested in the replies to the great question jcrango asked as we're looking for an AS now with plans to use it remotely, and it'll be either a 25 or 27. My question: Could you describe the roads that lead to the sites in the photos? Thank you
Old 01-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
$hi++y bumpy washboard roads, sometimes up mountains, sometimes a lot of miles. But about 90% of the time, always WASHBOARD.

I've spent the past two months free camping, and plan to do as much boondocking as possible this year.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:30 PM   #20
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
This particular site was just off a gravel road that is usually graded and fine for RVs, but it really depends. You can get long stretches of road in the desert that are fine, and then suddenly there's a rocky stretch, or a wash-out, or serious ruts from idiots driving on the roads when they're wet. Bring a bucket and shovel in case you have to do some impromptu road repairs. (Some would add, a chain saw if you're in the mountains.)

Just drive really slowly over the rough stuff, and plan an escape route if you can't or don't wish to continue along a dubious dirt road. Our salesman at Can-Am suggested taking along a bicycle, which enables you to cover more ground than on foot for road-scouting purposes, but it's something we've never done. One good strategy if you've got the time is to camp off a paved or good graded gravel road or in a campground for a couple of nights in an area of interest, then go off scouting in your truck or SUV during the day for more remote sites with uncertain road access. You can cover a lot more ground that way, and have some confidence when you decide on your ultimate back-country boondocking destination that you're not going to have to back a mile down a wretched stretch of dirt road.

This site in our photo is north of I-70 and that looooong stretch (105 miles) with no services between Salina and Green River, UT, in an area called Buckhorn Draw. Another beautiful area to camp in the vicinity with a graded road is called the Wedge Overlook. These are in the Price, UT BLM field office district. There are some other cool sites in the area with great scenery , but we all have our comfort zones on how much punishment we want to inflict on our trailers with rougher roads.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
Thank you both for your reply!
Richard
Old 01-11-2016, 05:01 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
With our 30' we boondock a lot with no trouble. We have the twin 2000 Honda Gen. and have no problem. I am not sure why but setting out in a remote location alone makes us happy.

We were in Theodore Roosevelt Nat. park in North Dakota and the campgrounds there made you feel like you were boondocking.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Maybe Robert Service said it best:

"It’s the great, big, broad land ’way up yonder,
It’s the forests where silence has lease;
It’s the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It’s the stillness that fills me with peace."

(From The Spell of the Yukon)
Old 01-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
That's the size we have and we exclusively boondock and dry camp. I think it's a perfect size and we have yet to be thwarted by anything we've encountered.
Wow -- every last photo perfectly stunning -- thanks for the share!