Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2020/2021 Wyoming Adventure

Mid July is the safest month, after experiencing the late August 2016 Adventure. Living in the Nevada Mohave Desert... July... is a great time to go to Wyoming. I can handle August, as well, but I am a bit crusty around the edge and do not mind.

Caught some High Country monsoons, sleet and cold. Some higher elevation rivers had low snow melt and the river was missing. This was at Double Cabin. A few weeks earlier may avoid some of this... but then, maybe not. I am not a weather man on the trip. I stick my head out the door... decide to lounge inside... or do a hike with the dogs running loose into the wilderness.

July is hot at lower elevations, but wonderful in the pines at elevation. Having an 80 high in DuBois and 48 low with low 70's at Double Cabin is not unreasonable.

I think Thalweg is willing to work on mapping being available at a cost. This is important.

Before even being considered, you must read the 2016 Wyoming Adventure and its ups and downs. Some thought I was kidding I would get you there and you needed to hike, bike, swim, fish, climb or sit on your bum and enjoy the peace and quiet of being OtG. Seriously. This is the mistake I made not insisting you must be a self starter and not afraid to step out of your comfort zone.

If the weather sucks one day... we keep on schedule, unless no improvement is expected. If the weather is nice... a group get together and what can be done to EVERYONE's approval.

Those on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure who managed to hang in up to Oregon Buttes earned my respect and can respond in the future, if interested. Jen is expected to show up and help, for sure. There are others, but you know who you are.

We are only restricted by convenience of camp site choices with the number attending. You cannot all be on top of one another, when there are fifty pullouts in three miles. At first there would be plenty of socializing, but OtG sites are not Clear Cut Campground pullouts. You actually figure our how to get your pop up camper or your 30 foot trailer into whatever is available.

Well... Nancy saw the email to Thalweg about this scandal in progress. Maybe 2020 and 2021. I inquired if Thalweg will be retired by then. That is a plus.

If both 2020 and a 2021, another thread will need to be posted and this one becomes just an introduction.

Probably work two different routes. One for 2020 and another for 2021. Anyone who signed up for 2016 and did not show up... please do not ask this time. Those who emailed that they could not make it... fine. The No Shows can do something on their own. Some nice folk were not able to attend, because of the initial limited number. This time... there is no minimum or maximum. Yet. I always expect 10% or so have something come up. The route will NOT be discussed on the Forum in detail. Just vague enough that everyone has a good idea, but not where we will be camped.

Like... We will be outside of Big Piney, kind of idea.

Any questions? Any comments? Any sarcasm is appreciated by those who did or did not like the 2016 Adventure and Why? I am old and can handle criticism. You just will be eating dust on one of these trips.

Plenty of time. Thalweg needs to fall in. A couple more experienced from 2016 that need to step up and help. Other than that, any discussion is fine. If things fall together, great. If not... we go out with or without anyone all of the time.

Expect inconvenience if a forest fire is in the area we plan to camp. Another will be found by plan, or more likely accident. Nancy and I do this ALL of the time. We are seasoned at discomfort, floods, avalanches, forest blow downs, trees across the road, wildlife entering the campsite, and other minor issues...
Old 12-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I'm in,...but sadly, I have about four more years before I can retire. I do, however, have lots of vacation time to burn.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Burkburnett , Texas
Ray my wife is getting ready to retire, if you will let me I will throw my hat in and see what happens.

Thanks Ken
paulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
As the interest rolls along... my first impression is to repeat the 2016 Wyoming Adventure with some changes, due to campground and camp site changes in 2020.

Survivors of 2020 and 2016 get first pick for spots in 2021, which Thalweg and I agree will be a totally unique OTG Boondocking experience. Maybe a survivor or two may want to hang on after the 2020 Adventure, as the 2021 camp sites need to be... relocated, GPS located, Thalweg gets his magic screens to work... and tie 2021.

Thalweg was mentioning needing to screen potential members to make sure they understand that this is no Glamping Trip... but you will find yourselves in environments that include mosquitos to bear. I agreed.

This is the general sense of looking ahead.

There could be a West to East and/or East to West 2020. Since Nancy and I are now free from anything needing computer and cell phone... boredom is worse for active 'trailer explorers'. But Glamping at a RV Park is not for anyone on these trips.

There is plenty of time to get interest, figure what can be the number of members are interested. Nancy and I are going, anyways. Thalweg has the vacation time... and we have our two Blue Heelers. ...and start from there and see what develops.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Ray. Sir Guinness wants to go and receive an update of his training and visit with the Blues. If we’re still on this side of the grass, we will join him. Thank you for wanting to do it again. This city dweller has learned a lot from you , Nancy and Brent. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Watch your step when Cow Pattie is in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
Ray. Sir Guinness wants to go and receive an update of his training and visit with the Blues. If we’re still on this side of the grass, we will join him. Thank you for wanting to do it again. This city dweller has learned a lot from you , Nancy and Brent. AEW
Only if you bring that electric bicycle.

Sir Guinness likes me. We held a vote of how the trip was going during the drizzle, sleet and mud at Double Cabin. All were negative except one with a small 'dog paw'. At first I believed it was Jan up to no good, or Ed making mischief, as usual. But I compared and it was not a forgery.

When you are on MY side of the grass, watch your step. Everyone lets there dogs run wild, like some of the women on these Adventures. Look for the 'Wild Women' photos in the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. One from Colorado. One from Texas.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I do not want anyone who was not on any Colorado or Wyoming Adventure to get the idea that anyone had any fun or had moments of excitement having an opportunity to reach an asphalt highway and... jump the border wall out of Wyoming, into Colorado or Utah. To escape. Smart folks, I say.

If Boondocking OTG to you is at a parking lot with lights... well, depends. In Laramie, Wyoming at Walmart does not count as anything. Camped in the parking lot in Kemmerer, Wyoming at the, now closed, Road Kill Cafe parking lot, eating some Road Kill... you would qualify to lead this pack of outlaws.

The rest of you, just lay back and when the bus closes its doors, too late to catch this one.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well Ray & Brent. We were unable to join the earlier expeditions that had you traipsing through the wilderness and mountains but are interested in this coming (2020) summer. The following year is out for us since we are joining the Airstream group caravan to Newfoundland so its this coming summer or another pass. Will work on shuffling some of the summer plans (none established firmly yet) around to make room for a July trip to the Wild West.

We are comfortable in the boondocking world of travel. Several summers ago we made a 3 month trek to Alaska with another couple roadside camping along the way. I'm good with fixing my own flat tires as needed and even had to make do with a reefer door that broke off along the way.

So, please consider us as an interested party. I will work to lock in the time when you are able to ink it into your calendars. Then we can begin to pray to the weather Gods to be with us

Now, next week we will be off on our next adventure to the warmth of the Florida Keys.
Yes, we will be in a campground with many available comforts BUT will be dry camping most of the time getting warmed up.

ThanX and Merry Christmas to all

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Looking forward to having you and Tourahn along for the trip Roger.

We're probably going to limit the 2020 trip to about five rigs, because we will be unable to nail down the logistics 100%. Ray is good at planning on the fly, I am not.

So right now we're sitting at four rigs: Ray Eklund, Thalweg, Unifreck, Polarlyse. One more and we're full. We'll probably add a couple of folks to an alternate list in case someone has to back out. First chances go to veterans of the 2016 Wyoming OTG Adventure. Second chances will go to U.S. military veterans. Third chances...people with an awesome attitude, personality, and a self starter. We're doing this because this will not be a trip for rookies. We need people who can adapt and overcome obstacles. Military vets have been trained to do just that.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My participation ended today. Thalweg can chose what he feels is comfortable.

I will no long participate on the Airforums.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I was just going to say I'm in, but it looks to be up in smoke :'(
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #12

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
My wife and would love to go on this, we have truly boondocked a number of times on our own, but 2020 is not possible. If this moves into 2021, it would be possible for us to go.

Thank you,
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote