Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
2017 Greenhorn Fly Fishing Boondocking

Piggy Bank of Kansas City, Missouri made an inquiry that did add a new dimension to Greenhorn activities.

Greenhorn Fly Fishing.

There are many trailer owners who might be interested in camping Off the Grid and getting some Fly Fishing experience. It would not hurt me, as well.

Colorado Seniors get an annual Fishing License for $1.00. Bought one last week and located my fishing equipment, rods and reels with some renewed inspiration.

I believe it is Fly Fishing 'rods' and Spinning reels and poles. There is a difference, but terminology escapes me.

I am not a Fishing Guide, but am familiar enough to make you think I am. This is all shallow water fly fishing with the cheapest rod and reel you can pickup from a garage sale or family member. You may not have fished in your entire life. It does not matter. The kind of fly fishing I find myself is not along the Miracle Mile on the North Platte, south of Saratoga, Wyoming... but have fished it and caught trout.

Wives can try it as well, or keep busy doing what they like to do when Boondocking. My wife will fly fish, IF I moan and groan enough, but it is not worth it if she is not enjoying smelling like a fresh Brook, Rainbow or Brown trout.

Try the Yellowstone River at the Park. Big trout. Lots of fishermen. Nobody catching anything. Even though these big trout are swimming back and forth within your grasp... it seems.

No Dory Boat fishing, no waders needed. We would be after the 8" to 18" trout. This is pure 'bush whacking' trout along the river banks and holes along the large boulders in the streams.

The scenery is breath taking and you get to fish at sunrise and in the late afternoon. The rest of the time you can make up new stories, actually lies, about the big one that got away.

Wyoming. Colorado. Costco... You pick and choose IF this has anyone willing to buy a ten day license, browse the Fly Shops in each area we visit... and make it Catch and Release or have a fish fry that evening. Fish Fry... could be one Fish or multiple Fish. Not fishes...

Is there any interest for a future date of 2017? 2016 is much too crowded at this moment.

Piggy Bank gets the #1 position... since it was his accidental discovery of a slight spoofing to catch a few unsuspecting Fishermen and women in the OFF TOPIC section.

.... and since all fishermen tend to be generous with their lack of fishing ability when being a Greenhorn Fly Fisherman as a requirement... it is OK if you have done this your entire lifetime.

I will have to relearn my knots and buy a new pair of fingernail clippers.

If the pond does not freeze to the bottom, or the river is not Orange with the EPA heavy metals... we are in... cahoots.

Greenhorn Fly Fishing Boondocking. It may smell fishy... but why not?

I will add that to the Greenhorn Boondocking Adventure options for this year for this group already set up for 2016.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Ray, I am very interested in "relearning" how to fish, as it has been many decades since I fished the last time. I have never fly fished, only spin reel.....but, willing to learn. I have a lot of new gear....not terribly expensive...and am eager to learn how to use it...hopefully, successfully.

Evelyn & Mikki,(chihuahua) or Nikko (Pomeranian mix) Near Denver, Colorado
TV: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
2015 BAMBI 16' Sport
Prior: 2013 & '14 LG T@B
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
I think this could be fun. Posting to follow this thread, and as information comes out on the plans would be interested in committing.
txtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Ray - Please put us on your list for this trip. We are in! Only possible summer conflict for us would be International Rally in Escanaba.
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Huntington Beach , California
Fly Fishing Great!!!
Jerry Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Ray, Linda and I are part of this year's Gunnison Greenhorns and I am looking forward to some flyfishing on it. I am all in for a 2017 flyfishing boondocking trip anyplace, anytime.
Longboard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Interesting. Do you have any idea on dates. Not exact, just ball park
Doug & Sharon

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
1968 24' Tradewind
Buellton , California
Now his I can plan

Put me back on the list. Wasn't having time this year, but maybe planning ahead this will work and I'll have more camping experience! Thanks!
dpaul.syv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Can't tell what the future holds for us but I'd love to try this. I'm in.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
We are interested for late summer or early fall 2017 if timing is right. Are there any proposed dates yet?
Jere & Margaret Freeman
WBCCI #1520
2015 FC 25FB w/ Hensley
2015 GMC 2500 6.0L
blufishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
I would like to go too.
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
1970 31' Sovereign
chandler , Arizona
Not sure if our restoration will be in progress or completed by that date but if so, I've always wanted to learn and am sure my husband would be eager as well for this adventure.

KC in Chandler, AZ
azgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Ray, Poles are long and do not have reels. Usually they are cane, although there are also fibreglass ones specially made for crappie fishing. They are used without reels, mostly for dipping a worm and bobber or a small jig into a likely looking hole.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Wyoming or Colorado...?

Returning from Boondocking in New Mexico... I was surprised at the Fly Fishing Boondocking interest.

I like fishing the low water marks... in August. July is possible, but August will prevent several drownings in Wyoming or Colorado. I can leave the waders at home and only need a pair of comfortable sandals, a fish net and something to haul extra flies.

This and the 2017 Colorado High Country are being held hostage until I get a grasp on the number of individuals interested up front and then within several weeks drop out for medical problems or conflicts of timing. There is a lot of work involved when more than four trailers are involved.

After the next two Boondocking events and survivors are counted from the beginning to end, I will make a definite decision. And when made... we will make the date of 'going fishing instead of wishing'. (A KC, Missouri fishing television program in the late 1960's, early 1970's.)

For suggestions give a time and area you would find interesting... with fishing possibilities. Wyoming has plenty of good fishing streams with room for fishermen and women.

Colorado has plenty of fishermen at good fishing streams. Camping spots are a bigger concern in some of these Colorado areas as more people are expected to be making the best of the dry August fishing season.

I am bringing my fly fishing equipment to the Greenhorn Boondocking School in June 2016. I can think of three major rivers worth losing some fly fishing equipment in these shallow rivers in central Colorado. More in Wyoming. The primary interest is the camping Off the Grid doing Base Camping near several rivers... creeks to those not in the Rockies already. This is not intended as a RV Park experience, although.... if lucky, a Forest Service camping experience... but we take what we can get.

If interest is there and serious enough to get a great sunburn from reflected sunlight off the stream surface... maybe this is possible.

If my 'tar and feathers' weather through the Winter... it looks good to me. But do not dream of the Pay to Play fishing farms and resorts. This is more like going to a raffle and lucky to catch the guy standing in the water next to you... kind of fishing.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote