Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Glad I could lead to inspiration. I wish I had the time to attend, but must regretfully decline the invitation.

Still have to work for 15 or so years. So vacation time is limited, and pretty much booked up for this year.

I may see what limited knowledge I can pick up here and there in the mean time, and think that probably I will see what gear I can scrounge up at garage and estate sales.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida

Since we had to drop out of 2016 Wyoming, please put us down for 2017 Greenhorn Fly Fishing. I've done mostly saltwater flats fly fishing and haven't done any in a couple of years, so I can easily qualify as a greenhorn.

Being retired, timing is generally not an issue this far in advance, but we do have a couple of exclusions. The weekend after Memorial Day and most of October and early November we are in NC. Living in Florida, we would obviously prefer something closer, but Wyoming would not be out of the question. We want to do a west tour, and that would be a good start (or middle, or end).

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Caveats to 2017 Greenhorn Fly Fishing Boondocking

I made a post #22 on the 2016 Quemado, NM Adventure thread yesterday, while having internet service and some insights that MAY affect planning for any future 2017 Adventures in the Rocky Mountains.

There seemed to be an excessive number of cancellations for Quemado to attend, before being able to offer openings to others that may have wanted to attend, but new additions were closed.

These trips are at elevations above 6,000 feet and you need to be able to be find a comfort zone for expected activity levels. Much of these Adventures require activities that may not be to your liking. Imagine back packing and carrying everything you need for a week as one extreme and doing the same in your Airstream trailer. You still need to be aware that we are in remote areas, headwaters to many River Systems in difficult areas and need to be able to adjust to high activity over a short period of time.

Road travel may be more than you want to have your tow vehicle and trailer to endure. Wood screws, unscrew. Stuff shakes out of cabinets if not prepared for smooth or some washboard Forest Service roads. Big mammals may want to explore our campsites in the mountains. Fishermen on horse back is not unusual in these areas. Meteorites could damage your pride and joy polished trailer...

These are my caveats. Only you know your limitations. You need not participate in all events possible, but be aware that others will be on an entirely different level of activity. Myself included. If anyone can manage to cover more ground in one day than myself... great!

Fly Fishing is as active an activity you can discover very... work intensive. Just the motions of fly fishing will make your upper body... sore. Getting to that point of fishing... will make you sore. Anyone is likely to know more about technical Fly Fishing than myself. I do it for the challenge of being... disappointed. It is being there that counts.

Depending on the future interest(s), anyone who is interested must be able to adjust to a schedule that begins before sunrise and at sunset. This is not a RV Park experience.

Your Black Tank may fill up and YOU need to figure it out. Ours will not be. Nor our Grey Water Tank.

I am just preparing anyone interested in attending that this is not a Sunday picnic at the Park. You are in the middle of the Park that might be a hundred square miles to take under consideration. You must also be prepared on your own by putting out some effort to know the area(s) we will be camped Off the Grid.

If this makes you change your mind... you have good judgment. I do this as a regular event each and every year. Some day I may have to admit that I am over my head and my body will not cooperate. When that time arrives... it will be too late as I am stubborn and prefer to push my limited human abilities if told I should NOT do something that strenuous at... my age.

IF you find this offensive. Good. You need not go any further. If you find this to your liking... you are among the small number of Off the Gridders on the Forum. If all of this makes you yawn and take this with the intent understood... this will be one of the best experiences for no cost outside your own expenses.
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Since the Good Lord never counts a day fishing against your allotted total, we're signing on for for the 2017 foray. We need all the days we can get.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Just subscribing for now...
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Fishing Regulations are on line...

2016 Colorado Fishing Season: April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017

Coming to Colorado to Fish? or call for a copy at 303-297-1192

Colorado has a 38 page online booklet, or one in print at all Walmarts, or where licenses are sold. There are two full color pages of various fish species that are covered under specific catch limits. Maybe you may want to cut some fish species out of the booklet and tape them onto your trailer's front door window for reference.

Colorado is primarily a 'catch and release' State. There are more fishermen in the warm months than fish. Due to private property along most rivers, Public Fishing is along designated areas that are very well posted. Do Not Trespass signs are also easy to see.

I have been reading the Rules and Regulations. Most areas are catch and release. There are rules that you can keep, in some areas, fish under 8 inches or over 44 inches. Other areas have specific rules for bait, flies and lures.

Myself... I am a catch and release fisherman. I doubt this is as common in Alaska or Canada since the fish do out number those standing side by side along some river banks...

My next task is to pick up a copy of the Wyoming Fishing Regulation booklet while on the Wyoming Boondocking Adventure.

The rules and regulations are quite specific. Even if you may not agree with them... you need to as there are reasons why. Mostly that the intense fishing pressure will reduce the breeding population and eliminate fishing opportunities if there are, well... no fish to catch and release.
Human Bean
Old 05-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Ray - We're still in for 2017 and understand the caveats. Looking forward to the experience and read your explanations of the conditions as music to our ears. We have no contribution to location and will trust whatever is chosen. Timing is very open as well as long as it's before September.
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I'm catch and release too.

I can name a few places I've fished in Colorado, mainly with my Dad years ago.

Taylor River north of Gunnison.
Gunnision River north of Gunnison.
South Fork Rio Grande near South Fork, CO. We were camping at Fun Valley Resort.
Roaring Fork River near Aspen, Co
Delores River north of Delores (fishless)
Grand Mesa lakes ( mosquitos chased us out )
San Juan River below Navaho reservoir just south of Durango in New Mexico.

Gallatin River northwest of YNP.
Firehole in YNP
Grey's River south of Jackson Hole

All these experiences were over 30 years ago so I'm sure things have changed. Mom and Dad always like forest settings for camping so it was rivers and creeks along these forest service campsites.

I've always wondered about the Conejos River in southwest Colorado.

Wyoming seems have fly fishing spread out more than Colorado. Their is the YNP and Grand Teton area, Wind River area, Laramie River, North Platte below reservoir dams.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Officially Cancelling the 2017 Greenhorn Fly Fishing Adventure

I am officially cancelling the 2017 Greenhorn Fly Fishing Boondocking Adventure.

It is with deep regrets that my heart is no longer in promoting Boondocking on the Airforums. This has been troubling me for some time and there comes a time when a decision must be made. Many do not understand my posts and threads, so obviously I am outside my area of experience.

Thank you for your interest. You are among a small minority. I must quit typing before I say anything that causes someone to criticize common sense and optional uses for their Airstream.
Human Bean
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 20
Lusby , Maryland
Ray, I have seen where you are pulling out of the adventures planned for 2017. I just wanted to let you know that I am saddened by the fact that there will not be opportunities for me to join any trips next year when hopefully my transportation and other difficulties would allow for me to join some of the adventures.
I have found your posts interesting and informative and quite frankly a breath of fresh air compared to some of the other threads on here. Thank you for being willing to take on a bunch of strangers and teach them stuff beyond their comfort zone.
I pray God blesses you and your wife with safe travels and beautiful vistas. I hope you decide to take on the challenge of teaching boondocking and rockdocking to us hardheads again someday. I am so sorry that I am missing that chance this year.

God bless and safe travels.

Decembergal is offline   Reply With Quote