Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Trailer in Waiting #14

Welcome silverlabs- Chuck & Jana. You are #14 and fourth Trailer in Waiting.

I will do my best to open this up to as many individuals as possible. Once I have an idea of interest for this Colorado Adventure in 2017, there could be several 'Split Base Camps' options in some areas, if necessary, to accommodate those who are willing to go into the unknown... coming their way.

Again, like 2016 Wyoming... this is Boondocking using a flashlight and assorted maps and Atlas's as our reliable source of where we may be from one day to the next. This adventure could present unique situations to encounter while traveling.

If anyone changes their mind in the future, please email me at: boondockingairstream@gmail.com
Old 04-01-2016, 07:00 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
We have sent our information for the August 2017 trip. Sounds like fun!!
SoftTouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
August 14 to 23, 2017 High Country Colorado Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftTouch View Post
We have sent our information for the August 2017 trip. Sounds like fun!!
Welcome Softtouch- Geren & Blanche. You are #15 and 5th Trailer in Waiting.

I will accept THREE more wanting to be added to the 'Trailer in Waiting' and will Close this Adventure.

As it gets closer to August 2017, if any are unable to make these dates and cancel their attending this trip, an opening will be posted.

The scouting of Base Camp and Dispersed Campsites will attempt to fit everyone on the current list.

Please... those who discover they cannot attend this Adventure next year, email me. Someone else is waiting and you will have an opportunity in the future for something else that is put together.

To be fair, anyone who does not show and did not cancel in advance, will NEVER be considered for any of MY Adventures. This will apply to any 2016 Adventures, as well. Considering there is no cost to you and plenty of work for myself and deny someone else wanting to attend, we all have this understanding covered.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
CURRENT List of 2017 Colorado High Country

This is the Official List of those I have registered on this Adventure:

#1 Ray Eklund
#2 Thalweg
#3 Maggie & Lily
#4 Tan Son Nhut
#5 Prickly Pear
#6 Pat & Murray (I do not have your handle)
#7 Unifreck
#8 Lumatic
#9 ColoradoLady
#10 SilverEagle6
#11 gghayes
#12 mrsretail6
#13 ArcticFox
#14 Silverlabs
#15 Softtouch
#16 Mas Tierra
#17 traveluminum

If you are are NOT on this list of 17... you are not on my list. The above 17 are expected to meet at a designated Base Camp, to be determined. It is important that if you cannot attend, let me know so someone can in your place.

The intent is to make plans to include ALL 17 who have been so patient. The last three will be Trailers in Waiting and as individuals notify me that they are unable to attend, I will go to #18, #19 and #20 to fill that vacancy.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Cool - thanks Ray for keeping everyone in the loop!

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
First Trailer in Waiting #18 has arrived...

TN Traveler... you are #18 and an official FIRST "Trailer in Waiting". If a vacancy occurs, you are first in line to take their place.

There are two more Trailer in Waiting slots open for 2017.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Thank you! We are excited to embark on this most excellent adventure! Now, I just have to learn how to fly fish.....
Thanks,
Jana
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
TN Traveler... you are #18 and an official FIRST "Trailer in Waiting". If a vacancy occurs, you are first in line to take their place.

There are two more Trailer in Waiting slots open for 2017.
Thanks ever so much, Ray. We were a little slow on the trigger, and late to the party. While not wishing anyone bad luck, we'd love to be part of the group.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
ONE 'Trailer in Waiting' space left for 2017

Summitview... you are #19 and an official SECOND "Trailer in Waiting". If a second vacancy occurs, you are second in line to take their place.

Confirmed for 2017:
#1 Ray Eklund
#2 Thalweg
#3 Maggie & Lily
#4 Tan Son Nhut
#5 Prickly Pear
#7 Unifreck
#8 Lumatic
#9 ColoradoLady
#10 SilverEagle6
#11 gghayes
#12 mrsretail6
#13 ArcticFox
#14 Silverlabs
#15 Softtouch
#16 Mas Tierra
#17 traveluminum

'Trailer in Waiting' Confirmed: In the event one of the above cannot attend, a Trailer in Waiting will take their place.

#18 TN Traveler
#19 Summitview
Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #50

2016 25' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
We got with the times- #6 Pat and Murray now known as 'Silver Maple'. Excited! Thanks Ray!
Silver Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2017 Colorado is on the 'Drawing Board'

This afternoon I have been pulling from my Geology Library: United States Geological Survey papers and old maps, National Forest Service maps and putting them into a carton for this Adventure. This is for the 2017 Colorado High Country Adventure to locate potential Base Camp and Dispersed Campsites in interesting areas.

Nancy and I will be driving along the bases of many of the lower 48 States highest 14,000' plus mountains to reach various destinations for large enough open areas and access to camp this Summer 2016. IF we find it worthy... you will as well. Our 25' will be the 'test trailer'.

Access is upon improved Forest Service roads and none that require 'unusual' preparation to travel upon. As a group, any access point needing to be modified by shovel and bucket will be a group effort. The possibility of requiring leveling blocks is always possible, so be prepared to help in those events. Each party are responsible to provide sweat equity in an unusual circumstance, not that any are expected. Trailers will be arranged with the possible 3-27', 2-28' and 1-30' mixed in the middle. If the 25' trailers can make it, then the 27' and so on... each watching the other to make clearance as we get closer to campsite(s).

I do not recommend any Airstream longer than 30'. Not that it would not be possible, but... do you want to be the '34' test trailer'? Probably not.

Nancy and I will be checking a number of possible areas this year. It is possible that some area(s) may provide some 'gold panning' opportunities. Advice will be given as to anything to bring to make this possible by making a screen to eliminate coarse materials and your providing your own plastic/steel to pan your sand concentrates. One possible area, there will be a 100% Opportunity to recover black magnetite sand and fine gold, IF this one area in mind will fit everyone as a Base Camp, it is not far from this Gold Placer Area with tow vehicle access.

The skill level of Boondocking will be quickly learned. It is up to you to WATCH the trailer in front of you and how they manage to proceed. Nobody will be stranded to fend for themselves. This is a 100% group effort. At any time, you can decide if you want to continue when traveling from one camp to the next. I do not expect this to happen, but I only know some on this Adventure. This is not for everyone, but once you finish ten days on this Adventure... your camping options just opened up to millions of acres of the most beautiful campsites that cost you a minimal Forest Service fee or the cost is just your smile once you have arrived.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:34 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Easthampton , Massachusetts
Ray
We've sent our request to join your group!
summitview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Colorado Camping Planning

I am looking for TWO MORE Base Camp or Dispersed Campsites among several National Forests. There are plenty of Commercial Sites in the $20 to $40 a day, as you will soon discover.

www.fs.usda.gov

The general areas being searched are:

Rio Grande National Forest
San Isabel National Forest
White River National Forest
Pike National Forest

Search: Google- Dispersed Camping-US Forest Service (within an individual National Forest above).

I am being optimistic and consider our group as needing 20 trailer/rv/tent camp sites.

I already have ONE site decided. I have ONE other that I camped many years ago having great potential and will be checking this Summer for dispersed campsites and comfortable access for 20 trailers.

Colorado is so popular that many campsites are Commercial and privately owned.

I try to avoid Commercial sites and favor USFS dispersed and base campsites. For cost and more open space to explore at will and not having to drive far from camp. Many USFS sites have a reasonable daily charge if facilities are available. For those carrying a Senior Pass a 50% discount for the daily charge!

YOUR mission is to explore and search for TWO National Forest Service sites.

With access in the area for 20 trailers and more.
With access for trailers UP TO 30 feet. (Most are up to 22 feet.)

Having water and a restroom facility is a big plus, but not necessary. As the area expands for the search, Ouray and Silverton, Uncompahgre and San Juan National Forests begin to fall outside this tighter area... but still not out of the question. I am familiar with one dispersed campsite in the Ouray area, but will not consider that area unless necessary.

This will give you an idea that there are many options available at your fingertips. It is just finding those that fit your and in this case, our needs as a group.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Vote for the next TWO Base Camp sites?

Although August 2017 is a long time from now, I am having an interesting experience locating NFS campsites to check out this Summer, already.

I do understand that many may not care one way or the other WHERE we camp, but there are many options that may be of interest to everyone.

Two campsites are already on 'my' radar and will be checked out to fit up to 20 trailers, with room to spare. These are more remote locations. The next two choices would have more amenities.

With the information on post #53 are ten or more boondockers on this Adventure interested on voting on a few options for the final two campsites? These two will be established NFS Base Camp sites that are maintained by a NFS camp host. The majority of posters on this Thread who vote is the count to be used. Not until the first campsite will anyone, but myself, know which two locations are to be on the Adventure. (There always has to be a bit of mystique... you know.)

Otherwise... I am more than happy to pick them myself by actually visiting the site this Summer and make it a total mystery to everyone, until we set camp at the first stop on this Adventure and get the... list.

This is what I propose:

I will submit my choices and those sent to me and by others and send this information to- boondockingairstream@gmail.com.

Each member on this Adventure will receive the exact location and information about sites of interest to your email address. Each campsite selected by those members interested, will be given a number to identify the site so the group can vote. When posting an opinion on this Thread, use the Site NUMBER and not give out the location to those not on this Adventure. Vote on your favorite TWO.

If this drops dead in a week... I have already found one NFS site that I will check out myself. It also fits into a part of Colorado area of interest on this Adventure to keep driving distances reasonable. I will then find several others and then decide among visiting them and keep our driving distances to a minimum.

My 'deadline' would be June 10th, 2016, THIS YEAR, for suggestions. You would email me the information so I can plot my route to check the sites out. I can then personally verify that trailers longer than 22' have room to navigate, as many of the more remote sites limit their sites to 'up to 22 feet'.

I do have one area in mind not far from Ouray, Colorado that we pulled out and camped along a stream eight years ago. I am confident that 20 trailers will fit at this dispersed campsite and keeping in mind that others could possibly be in the area as well. This would be an 'optional' LAST stop after the ten day Adventure is finished. Anyone wanting to visit Ouray would find this ... very interesting. It is less than a hour drive to get to Ouray but worth it. You are already in Colorado, so why not for those interested. We will all discuss this on the last couple days of the Adventure and see... what happens.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:49 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like water, Ray, and glorious mountain views.

Not terribly picky, here, and I will trust you to pick sites that are lovely and safe, interesting geologically and/or archaeologically....doing what you do best.

Maggie
Old 04-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I'm with Maggie. Water is always good as I would like to do some Fly Fishing if possible. Other than that the important thing to me is not to hurt my trailer in anyway trying to get it into any of these places.

Ray I'm sure you will go a wonderful job picking what you feel is best for everyone.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #57
Usually lost

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
I'm slow to the party, but I emailed our info. Maybe we'll get lucky.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2017 Colorado is CLOSED FOR ANY ADDITIONAL TRAILERS

Cally... you are #20 and an official THIRD "Trailer in Waiting". If a third vacancy occurs, you are third in line to take their place.

I will attempt to locate FOUR Base Camp / Dispersed Campsite locations that will fit all 20 that indicated an interest in attending. Once the locations have been selected, I will post the most current information.

Confirmed for 2017:

#1 Ray Eklund
#2 Thalweg
#3 Maggie & Lily
#4 Tan Son Nhut
#5 Prickly Pear
#7 Unifreck
#8 Lumatic
#9 ColoradoLady
#10 SilverEagle6
#11 gghayes
#12 mrsretail6
#13 ArcticFox
#14 Silverlabs
#15 Softtouch
#16 Mas Tierra
#17 traveluminum

'Trailer in Waiting' Confirmed: In the event one of the above cannot attend, a Trailer in Waiting will take their place.

#18 TN Traveler
#19 Summitview
#20 Cally
Old 04-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Ray, "Goliath" is 24.5' in length. I am soooo looking forward to these adventures! I also like water and mountain views...lots to choose from here.

I'm currently O/N in a nice safe Texas safety rest stop... Drove 392 miles today. Plan to find an RV park tomorrow near Amarillo. And diesel up! Then , head toward home.

Ray, thank you so much for doing this for all of us. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Colorado High Country... indeed!

Fitting ColoradoLady, Maggie and Unifreck will be the easiest to accommodate. Now that you, Evelyn have passed the endurance driving test, next month comes the Boondocking for Greenhorns practice.

To make everyone aware... This is Colorado High Country Adventure... not the Colorado Great Plains Adventure.

From working on Base Camps and Dispersed Camping sites, at home... the elevations, those AT the campsites and not on the side of a 14er... I am getting a low of 9,400 feet elevation, 9,954 feet and a high of 10,200 feet. This is from three sites. Denver at the capital building is 5,280 feet up a few steps to round it to Mile High City. I live at about 6,500 feet elevation.

I note that many on this adventure live below 1,500 feet elevation... or even can see the ocean.

After spending five months at 2,507 feet elevation south of Las Vegas, Nevada this Winter... it took a week to understand that our red blood cells had... taken a break. It has taken four weeks to get back to normal at 6,500 feet elevation.

I had written a bit on Altitude Sickness on the Forums, somewhere. If you keep your physical activity 'less physical' for a couple days into the trip... you will adapt. If you exert yourself too much, you could get a good headache.

If you are coming in from elevations below 4,000 feet, spending a couple days adjusting to Colorado's Front Range elevations of 5,000 feet to 6,000 feet is not a bad idea. Colorado Springs is higher than Denver. Raton Pass on the Colorado / New Mexico border has a RV campsite to get a taste of elevation. As you get to western Kansas, you will even notice the wind blowing on your vehicle sounds different... trust me, you will. The thinner air has a different 'pop' to it.

I mention this so you are prepared. I have driven from 800 feet elevation in Missouri, to 11,000 feet Colorado tree line and had a mild case of altitude sickness. A light headache and feeling like I was ill. The next day, all was well.

Just from imagining the best route on this Adventure, we begin at 5,200 feet in Denver and first Base Camp is over 10,000 feet. Then 9,954 feet dropping to a Base Camp of 9,400 feet. There really are very few campsites that are in the 8,000 foot range as this is where you would find a town and the valley is all deeded property. Even then... that is high elevation to many living outside of Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada.

How to prepare. Check it out on the internet. Keep hydrated. Do not exert your self too much the day you arrive at the Mile High 'plus' city. Some of you will not notice, other than a shortness of breath. No... you are not coming down with a cold... it is the elevation. You inhale and it is like you are not inhaling DEEP enough. I am sure all of you know what I am trying to explain.

Already, and it is the beginning of the 2016 camping season for Nancy and myself... I want to get Colorado settled. I am leaning towards FOUR sites. Once these are checked for space and availability to ALL 20 interested, this can be sewn up with information about fishing, biking, historical sites and the possibility of panning $2 worth of fine Colorado gold for five hours of hard labor. Well, maybe $5 worth of gold if you are lucky and have help.

As I said before. Colorado is a difficult State for camping outside of a commercial RV Park setting. All of the lower elevations are deeded. You will survive. You can post your experience on the Airforum. You earned every experience... one breath at a time.