Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #57
Usually lost

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
I'm slow to the party, but I emailed our info. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2017 Colorado is CLOSED FOR ANY ADDITIONAL TRAILERS

Cally... you are #20 and an official THIRD "Trailer in Waiting". If a third vacancy occurs, you are third in line to take their place.

I will attempt to locate FOUR Base Camp / Dispersed Campsite locations that will fit all 20 that indicated an interest in attending. Once the locations have been selected, I will post the most current information.

Confirmed for 2017:

#1 Ray Eklund
#2 Thalweg
#3 Maggie & Lily
#4 Tan Son Nhut
#5 Prickly Pear
#6 Pat & Murray (I do not have your handle)
#7 Unifreck
#8 Lumatic
#9 ColoradoLady
#10 SilverEagle6
#11 gghayes
#12 mrsretail6
#13 ArcticFox
#14 Silverlabs
#15 Softtouch
#16 Mas Tierra
#17 traveluminum

'Trailer in Waiting' Confirmed: In the event one of the above cannot attend, a Trailer in Waiting will take their place.

#18 TN Traveler
#19 Summitview
#20 Cally

Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Ray, "Goliath" is 24.5' in length. I am soooo looking forward to these adventures! I also like water and mountain views...lots to choose from here.

I'm currently O/N in a nice safe Texas safety rest stop... Drove 392 miles today. Plan to find an RV park tomorrow near Amarillo. And diesel up! Then , head toward home.

Ray, thank you so much for doing this for all of us. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Colorado High Country... indeed!

Fitting ColoradoLady, Maggie and Unifreck will be the easiest to accommodate. Now that you, Evelyn have passed the endurance driving test, next month comes the Boondocking for Greenhorns practice.

To make everyone aware... This is Colorado High Country Adventure... not the Colorado Great Plains Adventure.

From working on Base Camps and Dispersed Camping sites, at home... the elevations, those AT the campsites and not on the side of a 14er... I am getting a low of 9,400 feet elevation, 9,954 feet and a high of 10,200 feet. This is from three sites. Denver at the capital building is 5,280 feet up a few steps to round it to Mile High City. I live at about 6,500 feet elevation.

I note that many on this adventure live below 1,500 feet elevation... or even can see the ocean.

After spending five months at 2,507 feet elevation south of Las Vegas, Nevada this Winter... it took a week to understand that our red blood cells had... taken a break. It has taken four weeks to get back to normal at 6,500 feet elevation.

I had written a bit on Altitude Sickness on the Forums, somewhere. If you keep your physical activity 'less physical' for a couple days into the trip... you will adapt. If you exert yourself too much, you could get a good headache.

If you are coming in from elevations below 4,000 feet, spending a couple days adjusting to Colorado's Front Range elevations of 5,000 feet to 6,000 feet is not a bad idea. Colorado Springs is higher than Denver. Raton Pass on the Colorado / New Mexico border has a RV campsite to get a taste of elevation. As you get to western Kansas, you will even notice the wind blowing on your vehicle sounds different... trust me, you will. The thinner air has a different 'pop' to it.

I mention this so you are prepared. I have driven from 800 feet elevation in Missouri, to 11,000 feet Colorado tree line and had a mild case of altitude sickness. A light headache and feeling like I was ill. The next day, all was well.

Just from imagining the best route on this Adventure, we begin at 5,200 feet in Denver and first Base Camp is over 10,000 feet. Then 9,954 feet dropping to a Base Camp of 9,400 feet. There really are very few campsites that are in the 8,000 foot range as this is where you would find a town and the valley is all deeded property. Even then... that is high elevation to many living outside of Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada.

How to prepare. Check it out on the internet. Keep hydrated. Do not exert your self too much the day you arrive at the Mile High 'plus' city. Some of you will not notice, other than a shortness of breath. No... you are not coming down with a cold... it is the elevation. You inhale and it is like you are not inhaling DEEP enough. I am sure all of you know what I am trying to explain.

Already, and it is the beginning of the 2016 camping season for Nancy and myself... I want to get Colorado settled. I am leaning towards FOUR sites. Once these are checked for space and availability to ALL 20 interested, this can be sewn up with information about fishing, biking, historical sites and the possibility of panning $2 worth of fine Colorado gold for five hours of hard labor. Well, maybe $5 worth of gold if you are lucky and have help.

As I said before. Colorado is a difficult State for camping outside of a commercial RV Park setting. All of the lower elevations are deeded. You will survive. You can post your experience on the Airforum. You earned every experience... one breath at a time.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Thanks for the info. We were planning to arrive several days ahead of time to acclimate but had not thought through the process enough to think that WHERE we acclimate is as important as when. We are definitely flatlanders. In our younger days we always arrived in Denver the day before a ski excursion to acclimate, maybe now we need more. I was thinking that we could possibly stay in an RV park in Golden that is near Camping World. Is that high enough? Would Colorado Springs be better? I was planning to wait for the itinerary to develop before we solidified those plans but now my thought process is drifting elsewhere. That being said, we are really excited to see where this adventure leads us and excited to put a face to on a name of the other Airstreamers.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We might even coordinate next summer some pre-Adventure meet-ups, leading directly up to this, so we flatlanders can acclimate and adjust to the higher altitudes....so that we can then enjoy the Great Adventure.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #63

2016 25' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Thanks for the heads up Ray, and great idea Maggie!
A few years ago I flew from sea level to Tibet. Having access to the latest and greatest of medical literature, I did my best to be informed/prepared before going. All of us had subtle signs of oxygen deprivation, despite being aerobically fit and keeping activity level low. One of the group spent 3 - 4 days in bed recovering in time to leave.
We are fortunate to have Ray take us along and want to make the most of the outdoor living Colorado offers. So we will be driving to 5000' and then plan about 1000' per day before joining Ray. Bringing Diamox. My daughter says ginger candy is really popular in BC for altitude nausea, so that too.
Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Rocky Mountain High Elevations are coming...

Oh... this is going to be fun. Get onto Google and enter a town, state elevation. You will then get an idea of where are some great places on the way to Denver, CO to get some thin air exercise. I am trying very hard to keep the elevations of our camps BELOW 10,000 feet and will find 9,000', or less, a good comfortable elevation to enjoy.

Elevations:
Amarillo, TX 3500' to 3700'
Raton, NM 6,680'
Raton Pass, NM/CO 7,835'
Goodland, KS 3,681'
Albuquerque, NM 5,312'
Colorado Springs, CO 6,035'
Cheyenne, WY 6,063
Laramie, WY 7,165'
Castle Rock, CO 6,224'

Of course the elevations are 'in town'. Raton Pass has a RV Park where you can get all the thin air you can handle at 7,835' elevation. Up to this point, you are experiencing what most of us living in Colorado are 'normal Front Range' elevations.

Up to 6,000 feet, if you move briskly... your breathing will pick up and may notice that you are a bit out of breath. The better your physical conditioning... the easier. Pull out a lawn chair and taking it easy watching the scenery the first day at elevation... not a bad idea on OUR first day in August 2017. Casually move around and take in some of the fishing along the creeks/rivers to us here... Read up on how to notice Altitude Sickness before you get the headache and nausea side effects.

Sitting in your trailer will be comfortable and easy. Hiking from 9,000 feet to 10,000 feet elevation, maybe a test of will and when you begin to feel out of breath... sit, drink some water, eat some tasty snacks and just relax. You are not a porter carrying a hundred pounds of supplies up to Base Camp Mount Everest.

Get to, lets say, Laramie, Wyoming at 7,165'... you begin to get that Rocky Mountain High feeling... of thin air. Just take it easy and you will do fine. Deep breaths and you will get the hang of it for the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. This is one good reason to START Wyoming at the elevation we will be finding ourselves.

Colorado will be no different, but the first day will be a good climb for tow vehicle, trailer and passengers. It is not until you get outside and walk around you will notice the air actually 'feels different'.

Winter Park Ski Resort at 9,052'... welcome to thin air. Sunrise the sun warms everything quickly. Sunset it is like the air conditioning in the trailer is ON. It is that immediate for those not expecting the quick changes in temperatures. Keystone Ski Resort... 12,408 at the highest run and down to 9,280 when eating dinner at the resort.

Taking advantage of this Sunrise and Sunset will be taught at the Boondocking for Greenhorns. Simple tricks to make your life comfortable at... elevation.

Myself. I enjoy Wyoming with the 6,000 to 7,500 foot elevations. Colorado... those elevations are for the kids to play football in their short pants and tee shirts. No wonder why the Broncos have a little edge just at One mile above sea level. It takes a toll.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Ray, I am so excited about the Greenhorn Boondocking school in June. I arrived home today with "Goliath". I O/N last night at Amarillo, then deadheaded home from there. The prevailing winds in Texas panhandle, North west New Mexico, and southern Colofado beat the crap out of my shoulders and knees. "Goliath" is like a big wind sail....if we would have been at sea, who knows where we would be!

I hope we won't be traveling on the San Juan skyway. I had experience towing the Tab, three years ago. Not fun. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Ocala , Florida
Hey Ray. Have been way busy preparing for our 2016 Texas Big Bend Adventure (leaving in 4 days). Just saw this post and that Mas Tierra is confirmed for 2017 Colorado High Country Adventure. Now that is GOOD NEWS. Karen and I are delighted to be off the trailer in waiting list. Agree with Lilly & ME, and Arctic Fox......water is always good. Water brings wildlife and birds (our Texas trip is essentially a birding adventure). Fly fishing sounds great as well. Will try to google NFS sites to come up with a proposal just to learn how to do it. I am really pinched for time. Will see.
Thank you again "fearless leader" for all the time you devote to planning these adventures.
Mas Tierra (Richard & Karen, Ocala FL)
Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Springdale , Arkansas
Hi Ray, I wish we could attend your June 2016, Greenhorn boon-docking school. However, our AS is getting a little work done to her at this time. We are looking forward to the Colorado High Country trip in 2017, and we'll just learn on the fly. Thank you for the opportunity to be apart of the adventure.

Retail6 & Mrsretail6 (Rich & Kim Hamilton, Northwest Arkansas)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #68
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
I was looking for campsites, and remember camping in the high country west of Lake city, going toward Animas Forks. That was about fifteen years ago, and we were tent camping. I can't remember whether the roads were suitable for Airstreams, but don't think it would be an issue until you get closer to Animas Forks, where the roads are more suited to Jeeps. I keep thinking I want to check out that area again, so this may be a consideration. I was looking at a motor vehicle use map, and see there are several dispersed campsites shown, but looking at Google maps, it looks like there are a lot of downed trees, probably from beetle infestations. There are some great back roads to drive here once the Airstreams are set up. Not far from there, we camped near the Rio Grand in a national forest campground, and would like to return there as well.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Fishing License Fees for 2016 Colorado: FYI

cpw.state.co.us

Colorado Parks & Wildlife license costs for 2016 can prepare you for 2017.

License dates: April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017 (annual date of license)

Annual License: Resident $26.00 Nonresident $56.00
Colorado Seniors 64 and older: $1
Five Day Nonresident: $21.00
One Day Resident or Nonresident: $9.00

Depending on how much time you plan to spend in Colorado... do the math. One year in Wyoming it was cheaper to get a Nonresident annual as the daily rates would exceed the cost of an annual at the time.

Licenses can be purchased On Line and at places like WalMart in many places. Fly shops and outdoor supply centers.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We need a license...why?

Maggie