Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Cliff Creek Fire East of Granite Creek Hot Spring campsite

The Cliff Creek fire is on the East Side of Granite Creek. Our intended campsite is on the West side of Granite Creek, which is outside the fire perimeter. Go to www.TetonFires.com for the latest map. A total of 26,818 acres are in the burn area. The area is closed at the present. More as a precaution as I suspect the fire is moving away from the burnt timber. By the time we are at Laramie, we will have the latest information.

I am currently considering a 'Plan B for Granite Creek'. There is a National Forest pay campsite along the Snake River and Palisades Reservoir, just west of Alpine, Wyoming. It over looks the reservoir and trailer parking developed. No services, other than water, are expected. Probably rest rooms for the boaters, but I have not been there for many years and you can look it up and discover what the campsite offers.

Alpine, Wyoming is the gateway to the Greys River campsites and Cottonwood Creek, the gateway to the Up and Over to eventually Oregon Buttes.

Check your Wyoming Atlas. Although Palisades Reservoir entrance is in Idaho.

Thanks Thalweg for your constant reminder that having up to date information helps determine our route.

Boondockers must understand that the best drawn plans can change daily depending on conditions, if necessary.

I know of a wonderful Off the Grid campsite straight East of the Grand Teton, Jackson Hole and Jenny Lake, towering 800 feet or more above the valley. I doubt seriously anyone would want to attempt the one lane gravel road I towed our 23 footer. It is a steep grade to arrive at this camp site. There is another access road, but... I have not tried. This would be a Plan C and only if the other access road is much better, yet doubtful. I will leave this one to your imagination.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #402
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
I sure was looking forward to the Granite Creek site, with the hot springs and all. Heard very good things about it but didn't know where it was till Tom's maps.

Wasn't Fremont Lake, NE of Pinedale, on the original itinerary? That could be interesting, as that is near the central West side of the Wind River Range.

Susan and I were thinking of camping in the Snowy Range before dropping into Laramie. Any specially great camping places where Hwy 130 crests the range?

Ray, thanks for keeping an eye out on these potential trip disruptors.

TIA

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #403
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Steep grades on gravel roads sound a bit scary.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #404
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post

Susan and I were thinking of camping in the Snowy Range before dropping into Laramie. Any specially great camping places where Hwy 130 crests the range?

TIA
The Snowy Range has many single pullouts for National Forest campsites. Just drive from Laramie traveling Southwest on Hwy. 230 towards Woods Landing and then pick an area of interest....

OR

Hwy. 130 straight West of Laramie and do the same.

I would be tempted to camp the evening at a parking lot near Medicine Bow Peak.

If you bicycle, there is a bike path from an abandoned railroad grade near Foxpark that goes for miles. Find yourself a pull out to camp.

There is a gas station and 'RV Park' of some kind next to the station, at Woods Landing. Inquire there for some landmark(s) of interest.

Once there, get out a decent map and find a spot that looks interesting. You will find few campers and along the rivers some local fishermen. Quiet and peaceful.

Bring mosquito repellant. You may be on their menu.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #405
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
VOTE for Gros Ventre CG or hope Granite Creek is open...

It has been suggested, by an individual who will remain anonymous, another option for the Granite Creek Campsite. IF, the area still remains closed due to fire control, or the area has been degraded to the point that any other option is preferred.

-Gros Ventre Campground. It is 11.5 miles south of Moose, WY. This would be well positioned as a campsite as we pass Moose going to Granite Creek. This site is a fee area, but has electricity at some sites, dump station and First Come, First Serve. We are slightly off season, so even a group area will work.

I would not hesitate to substitute Gros Ventre for Granite Creek just for the fact that camped among a burnt forest is not exactly what any of us have in mind for a pleasant camp site.

Please read what you can about Gros Ventre Campground. Vote on this Thread or Email me at boondockingairstream@gmail.com. You must be on my short list of those meeting at Laramie.

I have never camped at Gros Ventre. With 300 individual sites... and 5 group sites, it could be a chance to visit Jackson, take a long shower, visit the dump station, top off your fresh water and be ready for more Off the Grid camping the following day.

And as a footnote... I would also be tempted to detach trailer and take anyone via your own tow vehicles to the best view of the Grand Teton area. We would go up my original steep route, when I pulled our 23 footer to the site, and then exit using the optional access.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #406
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gros Ventre sounds fine with me.

No, we don't want burnt out areas if we can avoid them.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #407
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Danielle and I will defer to your knowledge of the area and weather/fire conditions and things may change in the next week or so with weather/fire. Looking at the web site for Gros Ventre it certainly looks appealing. Danielle and I were already considering a side trip or backtracking to Grand Teton NP in order to spend more time in the area so overnighting there would be fine with us.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #408
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

I would be tempted to camp the evening at a parking lot near Medicine Bow Peak.

Bring mosquito repellant. You may be on their menu.

Sounds like a great plan--thanks for your advice.

We drove over Snowy Range Pass years ago, but only spent a few minutes reading the interpretive signs at a turn out near the pass. Always wanted to check the area out. So many lakes, too little time.

Your Teton-view site sounds interesting. The last time we stayed in a park with "cheek by jowl" campsites, the neighbor's monster 5th wheel had its water heater next to our bedroom. The water heater burner wasn't adjusted correctly so it sounded like a jet engine when it ran--which it did every so often all night long.

. . .oh give me a home where the buffalo roam, and the skies are not cloudy all day. . .

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #409
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
santa fe , New Mexico
alternate for Granite Creek

I prefer dispersed campsites to structured ones(like Gros Vente) primarily because they are so confining for my dog. There are several dispersed sites between Moran and Jackson that I have not been to but get good reviews on Campendium. They may require the group to split up for a couple of days. They are from north to south:

www.campendium.com/upper-teton-view 43.7638 -110.5538
There is also lower-teton view and appear to be pull outs further up FR 30310 6 miles south of Moran

www.campendium.com/shadow-mountain 43.7002 -110.6163 + more pullouts further up. 23.3 miles from Moran.

Note: Gros Vente gets good reviews on campendium too.

Tom
tmcguffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:41 PM   #410
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Shadow Mountain Off the Grid site

Tom is onto one of my earlier Threads somewhere on the Forum... posted with photographs. It caught his attention and it caught mine, eight years ago. One photograph was the Grand Teton outside one window view.

This is the site I mentioned this in Post #401, but with fewer details.

Shadow Mountain.

The south entrance is steep, narrow and you need to dodge the ruts on the way up... and down. Once on top of the south access is a pullout on the East side of the gravel/dirt road, that would hold four to five trailers in a row. You HAVE to access this pullout area on the north turnout as you will drag your bumper going in or out on the south turnout. There is a large fire pit on the south end that the locals come and live it up.

This was with our 23 foot Safari in tow.

You NEED four wheel drive, so not to lose traction to be safe. It can be done in trailers up to 23 feet, as we did it. On our way down after camped for the evening, a small Tour Bus with Japanese Tourists met us half way up this narrow road and I was able to back into a pullout, so they could pass.

Just north of this open area was a nice pullout among the pine trees. The first photo shows an open area... that is where we camped. A truck and horse trailer were camped at the spot within the pines, so did not investigate further.

If you look at your DeLorme Atlas, or map look for FR30340. I am curious if the north access is better... or worse.

Detach your trailer in the Parking Lot at the base of this climb and drive the tow vehicle to the top and proceed all the way down on the North access to check that side out.

This is not for the timid, unsure or those who have tried to avoid more difficult access campsites. Once on top the view is spectacular. The ride up and down... even more spectacular. Only, 2.5 miles of hoping no one is... coming down or up.

You will talk about this campsite in National Forest for years. I am sure more options will show up before we shove off into the wilds of Wyoming. This site... it will not be crowded with trailers!

"My original note in my Atlas: 2.5 miles from Visitor Center (gravel Parking Lot), turn off FR30344 after 0.7 miles, go East on FR30340D 2.5 miles."
Old 07-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #411
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ray, we very ordinary drivers, unskilled with very steep or otherwise treacherous roads, are going to be able to get to the sites you've chosen, aren't we?

I'm envisioning sitting some of these out...alone and untended by others in the wilderness...because fear will grip me and prevent me driving further.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #412
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Upper Teton View...

Have never been to the Upper Teton View. As Tom has indicated, there are many NFS sites to discover this time of year. These are two with coordinates!

Maybe damp and mosquito area, as is most of the Jackson Hole area.. for your information.

Everyone has some other sites to think about. Splitting up in this area around Jackson and Moran Junction with a 9AM designated meeting site for the following morning, could accommodate the 'wild bunch' among the group.

The surprise will be when we leave Double Cabin.

Another option with Granite Springs out... is to spend the extra time to Alpine and Grey's River to Sheep Creek area.

There are so many possibilities it becomes a matter of TIME versus WHERE to Off the Grid camp.

Tom and Anonymous have stepped forward... use your imagination. We are all in this together. This could be a repeat of the Green River Rendezvous near Daniel, Wyoming 1825. Bring some Beaver Pelts from Beaver Rim.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #413
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If that's an answer to my question, I'm not understanding it.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #414
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1829101

I'm envisioning sitting some of these out...alone and untended by others in the wilderness...because fear will grip me and prevent me driving further.

Maggie[/QUOTE]
Reply to Maggie's Post #411 and #413.

Maggie votes for the Jackson Hole Albertson's Parking Lot as an option. Open Monday to Sunday, 5AM to 11PM. (Their watermelons can be expensive and over ripe, so be careful.)

Bears are attracted to lone vehicles parked in Wyoming. So, you will have no choice but to follow 'any' Airstream in front of you. If our 25 foot International and tow vehicle can manage to over come Mother Nature... your 22 foot Interstate is a 'butterfly among tortoises'.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #415
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Some miscellaneous points to understand...

We are outfitting our trailer and by the end of this week will be 100% ready to roll.

Some members of this Adventure I know from previous trips. Many are new. It will take a day or two for new members to understand, that we move as a group and not independently... unless you have your own travel plan and your own hours. This accounts for the posts that describe some of the procedures found within previous posts. You could be experienced or inexperienced... there is no way to know until we are setting up campsites. So actual information is given out so you know what to expect.

When traveling upon two lane highways, it is best to leave enough space between yourself and the trailer in tow you are following. This makes it possible for passing vehicles, not in our group, to pass safely. Having everyone bunched up prevents others to pass, safely.

I am comfortable going the posted speed limit, even when with a group. If you prefer to travel slower, find a position in the caravan that prefers five or ten miles slower. You know the itinerary and it would be very difficult to not see a group of Airstreams camped along a Forest Service Road.

No. If the speed limit is 75 or 80mph... this is an exception.

No, I have not towed 1,000,000 miles as some on the Forum boast. Even a fool can get lucky, although may create dangerous situations, yet avoids being caught in their own messes. As we all know, no matter if you go the speed limit or faster... there are others who find you and your trailer in front of them in traffic as an obstacle, needing to pass you at any speed.

No. We will not be traveling upon dangerous roads, bear infested RV Parks, Pot Smoker Rallies in the forest, or a large number of other options that can be imagined. At any time if you feel threatened or uncomfortable, complete your Wyoming Adventure under your conditions.

If you want to know what the plan for the day or next travel plan... talk to me first and not someone, who may not have a clue, but professes to hold privileged information. Depending on last moment information, plans can and will change.

When Nancy and I travel solo... we make changes. It is more difficult with a group, as there is a comfort level knowing what to expect. So... be prepared to be flexible, not that anything will be altered.

This is an experiment if a group can work together where Solo Campers operate. It may not be possible to please everyone. That is not the purpose of this Adventure. This is to push your comfort level further into the unknown. After a couple days, you will be capable of making these trips on your own... and enjoy every moment!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #416
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Sorry I'm late to the dance as I was away at a Bluegrass festival for the weekend. Gros Ventre sounds just fine. A burnt out area holds no appeal to me. The options of showers and electricity would certainly appeal to my DW Laura.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #417
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Granite Creek is OFF the Itinerary....

Granite Creek is officially OFF the itinerary. The charred remains of forest will have an odor that will permeate your clothing, your trailer and will take a lot of effort and time to remove. No reason to take us into this area this year.

I have been studying over optional campsites. Any needed to pass... muster.

- Accessible to all.
- Convenient to proceed the next day's Off the Grid site(s) along Grey's River to Sheep Creek.
- Detour around large a huge burn area.

This will be an opportunity to explore anything between Moose, WY and Alpine, WY. Remember, we will have to all meet at a designated location, this will be the perfect town of Alpine, WY. Mark it onto your map. This is the where we will access Grey's River for August 21st for Off the Grid campsites and then the Up and Overs to Oregon Buttes.

Several options for campsites have been offered. The majority are playing it safe and... staying quiet. Especially if are not familiar with these areas!

Nancy and I have trailer camped these areas during 2006 and 2007 with our 23 foot Safari in tow. The following post will break down YOUR options... and what fits your comfort level for this one day.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #418
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Camping Options for August 21st... Palisades Reservoir, Idaho

tmcguffy has offered two Off the Grid sites. Shadow Mountain and Upper Teton View.

-Upper Teton View. Never been there, but great view of the Grand Teton, as well!

-Shadow Mountain is for very experienced navigators of steep and narrow access road to the campsite. I did it once and will not do the South Route as a casual campsite. Maybe explore the north access some day, but been there, done it. I am sure that Tom will find either Shadow Mountain or Upper Teton View to his liking. This would be for those who can hook up with Tom and really experience what your Airstream and 4x4 tow vehicle can do. You will be impressed, but I will have to pass on this option... this time.

Anonymous offered Gros Ventre Campground (307-543-3100). Almost a sure thing to find a campsite. It is flat, bushy, wet and bring bug spray. A very safe option for finding a campsite at $11 for Senior pass holders. This would suit 100% of those wanting an easy option. I need a little more than safe, but still this is a viable option for anyone.

Nancy and I like.... Idaho, this time. Palisades Reservoir, just west of Alpine, WY.
N43.19.562 W111.12.917 - 5,742 feet elevation, at Palisades Dam. We paid $12 in 2007 and no doubt with Senior Pass at that today. (877-444-6777) Reservations, or Pot Luck Chance It... We will chance finding an open site.

Calamity Point Campground (our 2007 site)
Riverside Park Campground (has dump station)
Palisades Creek Campground

This is where we will be hunting a campsite to stay overnight. Anyone is welcome to look over the various campgrounds, or find their own. When Highways 26 and 89 split, Highway 26 goes west to Idaho and towards Palisades Reservoir.

Our Designated Meeting Location will be along Highway 89 through the center Alpine, WY. Time will be between 9AM to 10AM. We will decide time to gather, once we arrive in area, from Double Cabin.

Get your map out, look it over. Check the internet descriptions of all of these sites. Find your comfort level. These sites along Palisades Reservoir and the Snake River are convenient and well developed.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #419
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Since I am not a part of this adventure, take it for what it's worth. First the Palisades campgrounds on the Idaho/Wyoming border are great. But considering that the fishing along Highway 26 on the Wind River both above and below Dubois is great, someone may wish to dawdle along there. Drys mornings and evenings and woolly buggers or prince nymphs are good in the shadows mid-day.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470159191.893800.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	268169

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #420
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Pack your rods ...