Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #181
Rivet Master

Will you guys be wearing orange or stripes?! LOL!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Cowboy riding a Bronco on License Plates...

I already can tell that we all suffer from Cabin Fever.

I know a bookseller and husband who climb Devil's Tower and camp on top for the evening. There is no landing strip for Flying Saucers, just some grass and bushes on top. Might get Maggie and Evelyn to do the climb some day. That would be a wonderful exciting experience for all on some future Wyoming Adventure. NOT for us... for THEM.

Those who have been to Wyoming understand that the Cowboy riding the Bronco is on the State plate. Some have complained that this is not humane treatment of a horse. I say... it is not equine treatment of the Human Bean hanging on. It beats the squiggly blue line on the Missouri plate to represent the Missouri River, any day.

If you want to make a "plate complaint", do it at the Territorial Prison. We will be leaving at or before 9AM with or without you.

Gearheart is Prisoner #0008.
ColoradoLady is Free on Bail and not among the Prisoners on this Adventure
Old 03-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming Plate Numbers to remember

OK... some participating in this misAdventure need to understand that Wyoming is proud of not only Wyoming Frontier Days over the Calgary Stampede, but also the County Plate numbers are special to each citizen in Wyoming.

We will be going through these Wyoming Counties:

2- Laramie County
4- Sweetwater County
5- Albany County
6- Carbon County
10- Fremont County
22- Teton County
23- Sublette County

OK... match these Counties with: Jackson, Rawlins, Pinedale, Cheyenne, Lander, Laramie, Rock River, Farson. The last two are in the event there is a tie... but are within a county listed above. There is NO Time Limit. If you get this right after the Adventure... you will get what you deserve.

The first to figure this out, other than Thalweg as he is already wise on County #24 is to be the Wyoming Judge and Jurist. Whoever gets these correct... FIRST and posted on the Thread... will get to choose ONE premium camping spot on this Adventure, at a location of my choosing. You... will... not... be... disappointed.

I also know where the "worst spots to camp" are, as well. For those "special people" who deserve only the best.

See... learning can be fun. I am thinking of THREE different options for this "premium campsite". In County 4, 6 or 10. The "winner" picks the number and everyone will be envious of your camp site. Several have room for two trailers/RV's.

Wyoming Plates were numbered by the Population at the time the automobile replaced the horse and buggy. Since Cheyenne, Wyoming is the capital... what number does it have?
Old 03-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #184
Rivet Master

Ray, you, Thalweg, and Gearhart go on and climb that Devils Tower. Maggie and I will be happy to treat your psychological and physical injuries afterward.....if we can get off the ground from laughing so hard! (LOL!)
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
OK... some participating in this misAdventure need to understand that Wyoming is proud of not only Wyoming Frontier Days over the Calgary Stampede, but also the County Plate numbers are special to each citizen in Wyoming.

We will be going through these Wyoming Counties:

2- Laramie County
4- Sweetwater County
5- Albany County
6- Carbon County
10- Fremont County
22- Teton County
23- Sublette County

OK... match these Counties with: Jackson, Rawlins, Pinedale, Cheyenne, Lander, Laramie, Rock River, Farson. The last two are in the event there is a tie... but are within a county listed above. There is NO Time Limit. If you get this right after the Adventure... you will get what you deserve.

The first to figure this out, other than Thalweg as he is already wise on County #24 is to be the Wyoming Judge and Jurist. Whoever gets these correct... FIRST and posted on the Thread... will get to choose ONE premium camping spot on this Adventure, at a location of my choosing. You... will... not... be... disappointed.

I also know where the "worst spots to camp" are, as well. For those "special people" who deserve only the best.

See... learning can be fun. I am thinking of THREE different options for this "premium campsite". In County 4, 6 or 10. The "winner" picks the number and everyone will be envious of your camp site. Several have room for two trailers/RV's.

Wyoming Plates were numbered by the Population at the time the automobile replaced the horse and buggy. Since Cheyenne, Wyoming is the capital... what number does it have?
Okay, since Ray won't let me play his little game, here's a question just for him. What is the name of the horse on the license plate?

I'm sure I can come up with a special prize if he gets this.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #186
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Ocala , Florida
OKAY RAY here come the crackers from Ocali Country. Our cracker Cowboys raised them Wyoming Cowboys from pups.
#1 Laramie County Seat Cheyenne
#2 Sweetwater County contains Farson
#3 Albany County seat is Laramie and contains Rock River
#4 Carbon County Seat is Rawlins
#5 Fremont County Seat is Lander
#6 Teton County Seat is Jackson
#7 Sublette County Seat is Pinedale
Kindly submitted, Kabur and Picks
Mas Tierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Red Wing... the Real Wyoming Bronco

Thalweg: Okay, since Ray won't let me play his little game, here's a question just for him. What is the name of the horse on the license plate?

I cheat: http://trib.com/features/range/who-i...bdaba47d1.html

Depending on who you ask: Steamboat, Deadman or Red Wing on the 1936 Bronco Wyoming license plate.

In 1913 the Wyoming National Guard member, George N. Ostrom, drew a Bucking Bronco. It was Red Wing... a red sorrel with white socks, a white face and a silver mane and tail. This colt had jumped the fence at a horse race, joined its mother. It was purchased for $10.

The horse was first spotted at the Sheridan Rodeo in 1913... and the story goes on!

Read the story in the Casper Star Tribune thread. It is a wonderful story... even though with the magic of the internet... all of us can become a fountain of information.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Laramie Boomerang: Bill Nye and Boomerang

Sent to the Laramie Boomerang as a thank you for their hospitality.

Largest Gathering of Airstream Trailers and RV's in Laramie, WY

This is expected to be the largest gathering of Airstream Trailers and RV’s to ever visit Wyoming, as an organized group, and will occur on August 12 & 13, 2016 at Laramie, Wyoming. Local Laramie Airstream owners are encouraged to stop and visit, as I have already communicated.

Airstream Trailers from across the “Civilized States of America and Canada” are expected to gather at the Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site with the cooperation of the Superintendent Deborah Amend. The total number of Airstreams are expected to number between 12 to 20 trailers built between 1962 to 2015. The number will not be known until everyone arrives and the dust settles to begin the 2016 Wyoming Adventure, a Boondocking trip within the untamed wilds of central and northwest Wyoming. Or nothing less than living within the luxury of these beautiful bright aluminum trailers at a number of BLM and National Forest campsites for ten days, or more, visiting a long list of Wyoming’s finest towns and cities.

Airstream Trailers have been traveling the World since Wally Byam’s original idea of 1931. It was not until World War 2 that riveting aluminum sheets onto a frame of the production of Aircraft could be also adapted to a durable trailer. The Airstream was born within the factories of skilled Aircraft technology employees and remain true to these beginnings today. Built to the standards of a B52, but depending upon modern axles and wheels to travel long distances.

This Wyoming Adventure is to test the durability of these modern trailers and the endurance of their owners who are risking their prized riveted aluminum “bombers without wings" this Summer. These owners are to demonstrate that Airstream trailers can travel not only upon concrete Interstates, but most gravel Forest Service roads within the Rocky Mountain Region, with the confidence of a Moose and the endurance of a herd of Antelope crossing the prairies. It will be a test of men, women, Blue Heelers and trailers this August.

Laramie to Medicine Bow, to Rawlins, to Lander, to DuBois, to Jackson, to Alpine, to Pinedale and ending at an Oregon Trail landmark as a final salute to the Citizens of Wyoming for keeping their State as America should be remembered, a true Gem within the Western Prairies and Rocky Mountain Region. Much like Boomerang and Bill Nye… you cannot help but return to Wyoming once you have traveled within its borders. Anyone who spends time in Wyoming will return more independent in their personal lives and continue to follow the hooves of Boomerang to return again…and again. You just cannot get rid of these stubborn visitors that keep returning for more, that the citizens of Wyoming take for granted.

An Airstream Thread exists at www.airforums.com under the Boondocking Forum titled: West- 2016 Wyoming Rockdocking Adventures.

The term “Rockdocking” is a new term to describe an alternative use of an Airstream Trailer within an environment where few services are provided, other than those contained within the Airstream. A modern “sheepherder’s wagon”, but endowed with all of the modern technology and riveted construction, making travel within an Airstream a pleasure to visit Wyoming and its citizens this August.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:47 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummm.....wasn't there a large Airstream gathering in Gillette, WY, just a few years back?

Maggie
Old 03-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #190
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Thalweg: Okay, since Ray won't let me play his little game, here's a question just for him. What is the name of the horse on the license plate?

I cheat: http://trib.com/features/range/who-i...bdaba47d1.html

Depending on who you ask: Steamboat, Deadman or Red Wing on the 1936 Bronco Wyoming license plate.

In 1913 the Wyoming National Guard member, George N. Ostrom, drew a Bucking Bronco. It was Red Wing... a red sorrel with white socks, a white face and a silver mane and tail. This colt had jumped the fence at a horse race, joined its mother. It was purchased for $10.

The horse was first spotted at the Sheridan Rodeo in 1913... and the story goes on!

Read the story in the Casper Star Tribune thread. It is a wonderful story... even though with the magic of the internet... all of us can become a fountain of information.
Okay, you win. I'll see if I can find a Kewpee doll or something for your prize. I had always heard that the horse was modeled after a horse called Old Steamboat that apparently couldn't be ridden.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Ummm.....wasn't there a large Airstream gathering in Gillette, WY, just a few years back?
Maggie

Thalweg also recalled several WBCCI events in the past:
"There is one error. This will be far from the largest gathering of Airstreams to ever visit Wyoming. The WBCCI has their International Rallies in Wyoming on a rotating schedule. I think it's ever 3-4 years. It was in Gillette two years ago. They used to do it in Laramie back when the WBCCI was actually a big thing. I remember driving through Laramie during the rally sometime in the late '80s. There was a field on the edge of town where there had to be thousands of Airstreams. There is a sticker on the inside of the door of my camper from the 1964 rally in Laramie."

OK... the "largest Airstream Boondocking" event.

I asked if the Laramie Boomerang was interested in this, if they could go through their archives and discuss the 1964 Rally in Laramie.

Gillette, Wyoming... not on my list of places to go, but plenty of open space.

Laramie, Wyoming would have been a wonderful area for a Rally. It would have been a sight to see acres of Airstream trailers all packed into one area... then I would have been on my way.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Instant Winner....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Tierra View Post
OKAY RAY here come the crackers from Ocali Country. Our cracker Cowboys raised them Wyoming Cowboys from pups.
#1 Laramie County Seat Cheyenne
#2 Sweetwater County contains Farson
#3 Albany County seat is Laramie and contains Rock River
#4 Carbon County Seat is Rawlins
#5 Fremont County Seat is Lander
#6 Teton County Seat is Jackson
#7 Sublette County Seat is Pinedale
Kindly submitted, Kabur and Picks

Pick a number: County 4, 6 or 10.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #193
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Salve for Cabin Fever:

Internet Surfing! Today's finds:

Museums in Dubois, Riverton, and Lander: http://fremontcountymuseums.com/dubois/

Efforts to find archaeological sites in Absaroka Range: http://www.yellowstonegate.com/2012/...n-12000-years/

Expose on different types of fossil hunters. The author seems familiar right down to his copy of Delorme's Wyoming Atlas. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index....and-abilities/

A salve, not a cure. Post if you find something that truly works.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #194
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
FossilForum discovers Airforum relic from the past

Burnside... the Fossil Forum... remember it well.

The one photograph shows me following map contours of my DeLorme Atlas for more discoveries in our 2006 23 foot Safari. ... and what do you do when you find the "posterior" of a dinosaur washing out that would require a year to uncover and then be jailed for possessing it... absolutely nothing.

... and maybe some might want to split shale in western Utah and eastern Nevada for trilobites. You never know.

The Bighorn Medicine Wheel near Sheridan, Wyoming is also a real treat to visit. It is at 9,642 feet in elevation in an area that was a destination and not a place to casually visit even 500 to 800 years ago for "religious purposes". There are hundreds of tee pee rings south of "Spanish Diggings", near Lusk, Wyoming. Ancient Indians, as well pre historic groups quarried a durable chert from this site and chips are found across the entire Rocky Mountain region!

There is so many interesting things to see, do and discover... if you have the ambition to get off of the sofa and do something that you have not attempted, out of the fear that it is new and outside your comfort zone. That is what mentors are willing to step forward and .... ease someone into a comfort zone that was always there, but not ready to push out of the safety of the cocoon and become a butterfly.

I had stepped into the Evolution of Mammals or some other topic on the fossilforum and upset some that did not follow the concept of Charles Darwin and the Origin of Species, etc, etc and etc. I was given a warning that Evolution was not something to discuss on a Fossil Forum.

Much like being asked on the Airforums, not to discuss Airstream Trailers.

So, the horse's posterior that I can be... I packed up my trowels, rock picks and found myself other ways to make a pest of myself. And successful at that, as you can tell on the airforums.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #195
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Ray, you are truly a renaissance man!!

I started this mornings surf to see if the 2013 North Point (Double Cabin) Archaeological Assessment turned up any evidence of aboriginal people in the Double Cabin area. Couldn't find any results positive or negative although you'd think someone would have talked if they had found great stuff.

Best to all.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #196
2 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
Reply to #192
Picks picks six (6)😛
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Reply to #192
Picks picks six (6)��

Bad choice. But I will see what I can do.

Oh... County 6 is Carbon County. This is a cliff hanger at Beaver Rim. I could get my 23 footer in easily and it should fit your 27 foot. You will get to look at this spot, and then decide if you want Thalweg or Maggie to squeeze onto this one.

Nancy and I loved it. You can see for 100 miles... and that is the vertical drop from the mesa. Naw... you will love the spot. I think.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post

I started this mornings surf to see if the 2013 North Point (Double Cabin) Archaeological Assessment turned up any evidence of aboriginal people in the Double Cabin area. Couldn't find any results positive or negative although you'd think someone would have talked if they had found great stuff.

Best to all.
This was not an area where seasonal migrations took place for generations. There were better routes for them to get to Yellowstone and beyond. It is most likely a post 1600AD to 18th century hunting camps in the high country for elk. You are not going to find any sign of Paleo Indians... but there sure will be many signs of "bow and arrow" sites just above the flood plain. Just my thoughts from what I noticed for the area.

Anyone interested in seeing what we are discussing... it would be a short hike and a river crossing to see all these small chips that were removed from stone blanks in the process of making an arrowhead, knife or other tools needed while "on the road". (My brother is an expert "flint knapper" and to watch something useful made from a chunk of flint, obsidian or agate is a real art.)

Recently it has come up that the Little ICE AGE of Europe also affected North America at the same time. Something that might be on the internet somewhere. Then you can tell us all about it.

While fishing I have seen lots of small pressure flakes of obsidian and fine quality agates used for points and tools washing out of the soil along the river. This is way out of the way for even Indians. The obsidian is most likely from Yellowstone and the agates... are so nice, I would like to find that source myself!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #199
2 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
Burnside Bob/Ray Eklund
Karen and I are not knowledgeable about rocks, fossils, dinosaurs, or aboriginal tool making. Can you suggest a "riveting" book that would be both entertaining and informative. Our heads are usually raised skywards looking for birds but we can work on that. Our only real knowledge of Wyoming comes from watching Longmire on Net Flicks. LOL
Thanks, RCW KBW
Old 03-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Our only real knowledge of Wyoming comes from watching Longmire on Net Flicks. LOL
Thanks, RCW KBW
Ohhhh Deeeaaar Noooooo

If you're in the area in early July, come to Buffalo for Longmire Days. Personally, I'll be hiding. Too crowded for me.

http://buffalowyo.com/longmire.html