Dubois is already my favorite.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Thank you Maggie. If Lily can handle it, we will take anyone across the Wiggins Fork, which splits into Frontier Creek and Emerald Creek at 8,022+ feet elevation and get a photograph with everyone in the valley... waving.

As you hike to higher ground, the "good petrified wood" areas become available. As you get higher up these canyons, the fish get smaller and the streams easier to cross.

The South Pass photo shows our 23 footer parked on the edge in the distance. The road... that is the Lander Stage Coach road. We are camped where the stage would camp for evenings and the old cans are scattered around the flat areas on top. We were prospecting for agates and jade in this area.

The Lander photo may require some shoveling to remove the road grader "improvements" that causes a slight dirt ridge. A 25 foot Arctic Fox is on the left and we in our 23 footer to the right under a juniper. You can bicycle trails in this area at will. There is an old wagon trail we can hike down that has not been used for a very... long... time. Not far away is a fresh water spring flowing with cold clear drinkable water. This is if we can get access by hiking. This is actually on the Continental Divide, for those who are from the West Coast.

All of these photos you will see that if we could get into there... anyone with a 25 foot or shorter trailer can by being careful. Interstates included. These are not groomed for those not paying attention. This is like skiing ungroomed powder at Arapahoe Basin ski area in Colorado.

Just some photos to get those attending a reason to... well, be prepared.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily will follow wherever I go, and I love to walk in cold creeks.

She has only ever swum by accident, never intentionally, tho if other dogs were swimming to follow their people she would probably join in.

She just doesn't really know she can.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Photo for Ray.....Dubois, WY
Is that photo up around Double Cabin area? Beautiful !!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Greene View Post
Is that photo up around Double Cabin area? Beautiful !!
Not AT.... Double Cabin... but only a short hike and a possible swim or successful river crossing to actually get there. I had some other photographs of this area on the Forum, but not sure where... Wyoming Fishing or DuBois? It does exist.

Where the campsite is located, the road ends unless you have a 4x4 with very high clearance and you can travel to the East at several crossings... if you feel lucky that day.

The snow you see was in August after they had record snowfall and the creeks were RIVERS at the time. During the day they ran high. The cold mountain air in the evening would freeze the melt and you could cross the "creek" in the morning. By late afternoon it was a "river" again... so you had to hike upstream and decide how wet you wanted to be after crossing. Sometime you will come across a tree that had fallen across the "river" and entertain those watching.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Ray's Wyoming Fly Fishing Thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ing-39193.html

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
DuBois photos on Wyoming Fly Fishing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post

Thank you. Wyoming Fly Fishing.... post #19.

Maybe on this Thread I also have the photograph of a couple from one trip learning to cross a stream. Her expression is one to remember... as in August 2016 we will obviously have some others posted to record "first time crossing a cold, fast moving mountain stream". At the time it is not entertaining to the victim, and the photos are not flattering... but we all have to pay our dues now or later.

She crossed several times later that day and probably will not use the first photograph on their Facebook page. Remember. Be the FIRST to cross and take the photographs. Otherwise... you may be in an action shot, while getting a "Wyoming Fish Bath" and hanging your clothes on a bush to dry out. Or, at least, some clothing.

I recommend that those fly fishing or crossing a stream not to wear jewelry, do wear glasses attached by a string around your neck, do carry light tennis shoes to wear when crossing, a wallet is not recommended on a first attempt and wear a waterproof watch. Other than that... and among others that escape me, we all have taken a dunk at one time or another. It is how we all can sit around a campfire and discuss the blow by blow events of the day and you are the Star.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

She crossed several times later that day and probably will not use the first photograph on their Facebook page. Remember. Be the FIRST to cross and take the photographs. Otherwise... you may be in an action shot, while getting a "Wyoming Fish Bath" and hanging your clothes on a bush to dry out. Or, at least, some clothing.

I recommend that those fly fishing or crossing a stream not to wear jewelry, do wear glasses attached by a string around your neck, do carry light tennis shoes to wear when crossing, a wallet is not recommended on a first attempt and wear a waterproof watch. Other than that... and among others that escape me, we all have taken a dunk at one time or another. It is how we all can sit around a campfire and discuss the blow by blow events of the day and you are the Star.
I call dibbs on crossing first!!
Old 12-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Proposed Route for 10 Days of Camping

A route you can find on the map. There are several "starting points" that are optional depending from which direction you are coming from. By then we will have cell phone numbers and be in contact... when there is service.

Day 1:
Laramie, WY
Rawlins, WY
Jeffery City, WY
(Any of the above towns to Camp 1 towards Sand Draw/Lander area)
also known as Beaver Rim (south of Riverton and Lander)

Day 2:
Sand Draw to Lander, WY
Lander towards Granite Peak

Day 3, 4, 5 and leave on the 6th day AM:
Granite Peak meadow to Lander, WY
Lander to DuBois to Double Cabin

Day 6:
DuBois to Moran Junction to Jackson to Hoback Junction to
Granite Creek

Day 7:
Granite Creek to Hoback Junction to Alpine, WY to
Greys River camp

Day 8:
Greys River camp to Daniel to Pinedale, WY to
Fremont Lake camp

Day 9:
Fremont Lake camp to Pinedale to Farson to
Oregon Buttes south of Atlantic City and South Pass City mining towns

Day 10: Anyone... remaining at Oregon Buttes camp completes the circle and open to whatever anyone wants to do next. Nancy and I have a flexible schedule.

The schedule is flexible depending on weather and available days anyone wants to be out on the road or one spot is so desirable an extra day camped. Oregon Buttes is listed as South Pass, WY on the photograph in post #71 and is optional to those with time to spare. From South Pass you can go to Rock Springs or to Rawlins and find dump stations at the truck stops.

At any time you can return to Jackson, WY and head north to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone Park... This is YOUR vacation, make the best of it.

Any questions, post them so everyone can follow the conversation. There are some side of the road stops as well... so not making this some kind of driving tour, but a true experience.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I can't wait.

I am also all for this not being a driving tour.

We need time to experience....also to visit with each other, perhaps have some campfires.

Maggie
Old 12-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Have I got it straight? Depart Laramie @09:00 on 14 Aug. so be there Sat. or early Sun.?
Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Depart Laramie, 9AM, August 14, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Have I got it straight? Depart Laramie @09:00 on 14 Aug. so be there Sat. or early Sun.?
We will leave Laramie, WY at 9:00AM, Sunday. I will be in the area on Saturday.

I might try to find a camping spot at Vedauwoo Campground area or catch the meeting place in Laramie late Saturday afternoon to park overnight in the lot. Saturday at an established campground could be difficult to find an open space. Maybe one of the reservoirs to the east might do... but I make adjustments according to the situations. Have to be flexible... as you will also discover the "adventure" aspect soon enough!

Anyone arriving too late will need to call when there is cell service... to find out where we are at that time. It will not be difficult to miss this group of trailers when in town, or on the move.

If everyone expected is ready to depart earlier at Laramie, we will not be burning any daylight and leave earlier. There are several optional stops (Como Bluff Bone Cabin aka dinosaur house & Medicine Bow- Virginian Hotel) on the way to the first campsite will get us there with time to explore.

Those finding Rawlins (for topping off fuel) or Jeffery City (no services) convenient can time our arrival departing from Laramie. Jeffery City has minimal cell service, but the highway runs though what is left of the Uranium mining town.

If you miss us at these places, you can catch everyone at Lander (topping off fuel), once we are close enough for cell phone service. The Forest Service office in the Southeast part of town is our gathering spot. After that... you probably need to work something out. You need to determine where and when you need to dump black or gray water. Rawlings and Laramie would be top places on your list. Other than that... everyone has to find themselves a RV Park or Truck Stop, as ten days for Nancy and I Off the Grid will have minimal black and close to zero gray water storage. (Imagine tent camping, but in luxury.)

Gathering information on trailer length and a cell phone number while on the road will be needed next year. This way everyone can communicate to one another in the event someone has a mechanical difficulty and needs assistance. Maggie might already have this information from some and did such an awesome list during the New Mexico Adventure.

I am considering having an Interstate in the middle and one at the end of the Caravan. So nobody will be stranded. Once we are gathered at Site #1, I will give the scoop on how to travel on gravel roads and not eat dust. Unless someone wants to have to read another long post... I am more than happy to "educate" everyone in advance, as it is not something Airstream owners have had to consider.

Once everyone has reached their comfort level the Interstates will fall in whatever order they find themselves.

If you want to post on this Thread the amount of time you have available to you, departing times can be extended. As it is at this moment, TEN DAYS.

Since this is a fairly tight loop for Wyoming standards, you can easily return to any of these camp sites afterwards. Take a GPS location, mark an X on the map and go back for a week. Some of these sites I have not returned for seven or eight years. These are ones I indicated on my maps as worth going back if I were in the area. The best in this area and other spots can be found by Base Camping at another time to improve your options.

There are plenty of places I do not want to go back.