Old 11-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I hope that Connie is bringing her Pony to DuBois, Wyoming as there are many trails she and Porsha can follow. She can Bounce in the Saddle with the best of them.

There are some questions as to the suitability of various lengths of trailers on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. While tossing in my sleep... I thought it all out without any diversions of my attention, other than WHY? can't I just sleep with or without diversions.

Off the Grid Airstream Lengths: (Note- Airstreams...ONLY)

16 to 20 feet: Optimum Off the Grid travel with fewer resources within trailer
21 to 25 feet: Favorable Off the Grid travel and for longer periods of time
26 to 28 feet: Less than Favorable Off the Grid travel, but for longer periods of time
29 to 34 feet: Risky Off the Grid travel and the maximum period of time

The 16 to 20 foot Airstreams can extend their period of time Off the Grid, by merely having fresh water and solar/generator for battery recharge. This IS a big plus for these trailers.

The 21 to 25 foot Airstreams risk dragging their bumpers on roads with washes and dry creek crossings. It is the extra length beyond the axles that is always most at risk for dragging. Once your bumper is dragging, chances diminish to back up out of this dilemma. One will have to use leveling blocks to elevate the rear bumper to back OUT of the difficulty.

Any 26 to 28 foot Airstream can risk not only dragging the rear bumper, but ALSO the hitch and spare tire. Extra caution must be considered when traveling alone in an area Off the Grid with the possibility of pass through a dry wash or gravel bottomed creek bed.

Most with a 29 to 34 foot Airstream would have to be very careful. Even making sharp turns become nearly impossible to maneuver to turn around. Each additional foot of length brings in new caveats.

Remember: I have only traveled in a 23 and a 25 foot Airstream to make these comments. I fly fish better in my sleep as well, so let that be a warning to you.

The longer the Airstream, you must mitigate the possibility of dragging the rear bumper... FIRST. Remember, coming back the same way you change the angles once again and must mitigate the possibilities.

At first you might believe that it is impossible to go anywhere off the asphalt with a longer trailer. Some Off the Grid roads are totally harmless for 100 miles. It is that ONE dry creek bed crossing at mile marker 99 that can block you from going the last mile. Your fuel is down below a safe return from where you entered... and you have come to a situation only a few of us have encountered. Myself included. This is why for new OtG towing, it is safer with one or more others traveling untested territory.

None of the routes on this 2016 Wyoming have any risk of high centering your trailer, but the 28 to 34 footers need to make adjustments in your position in the road to make curves easy, which a 16 footer meanders around easily. It comes down to a "mental game" and you map your route using what road is available as you travel.

The majority of County and Forest Service main routes are well designed for all traffic... as Ranchers bring in 18 wheelers of cattle for grazing. But... these trailers have higher clearances compared to an Airstream and the length of "cattle hauler" is of little concern... unless finding a turn around that is convenient.

When... YOU are tossing in your sleep... put yourself in some awkward situation pulling your trailer and consider your options. Your dream will be much worse than reality, but it does help to expect the worse, and not experience it.
Good analysis, Ray. All I would add is that most of the 21-25 footers are also twin axles...a huge plus for OtG. Our AS experience is limited to the 20 and 25 lengths, but LOTS of experience with SOBs.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Another Wyoming Side Trip

Ray's suggestions for side trips before (or after) the main adventure in Wyoming gives me an opportunity to suggest a new option for Airstreamers in Wyoming. The BLM, Buffalo Field Office has had a campground about 25 miles south-west of Kaycee (60-ish miles SW of Buffalo) for many years. It's called the Outlaw Cave Campground, in the Middle Fork (of the Powder River) Recreation Area. However, the road getting to it was very bad. It required a real 4x4. Not a Subaru like 4x4, but a truck. In fact, I'm not sure I would have tried it in our Jeep Cherokee. This fall, the BLM built a new road that bypasses the worst parts of the road that greatly improved the access. It still isn't an interstate highway, but it's much better. There are some areas with big dips across drainages that would be a problem for longer trailers. And there is one very sharp turn around a pine tree that could give long trailers problems as well. Also, there is an spot that has a bunch of willows very close to the road that could scratch the trailer, although, I was thinking about going out there with some pruners and cutting them back. I think I could make it with my 24-footer, and I'll probably try it in the Spring. The area is closed from around the first of December to the first of May because it is an elk wintering area.

This area is exceptionally beautiful, and gets little use, except during hunting season. It's very close to the Hole-in-the-Wall of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid fame. The campground is at the top of a canyon above the Middle Fork of the Powder River that is reported to have exceptional trout fishing. Most of you folks would consider the river more of a creek, or crik in these here parts. There are few other camping options in the area because most of the land is privately owned, and the road is mostly on private land. There are lots of no trespassing signs, and you actually almost pass through one ranches front yard. Just stay on the road and drive slow and everyone is happy. This is a great opportunity that I strongly encourage the more adventurous of you to explore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1030151426.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	251752   Click image for larger version

Name:	1030151429.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	251753  

Old 11-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #59
Cris

2013 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Smile Wyoming - 2016

Having followed the New Mexico trip thread, we want to add our names to the list of definite participants -- if space is available. I know we're responding late, but please add 2 more to the list. We traveled through Wyoming this last summer, and committed to seeing more in 2016. Can't think of a better way to do that than as part of the 2016 Wyoming Rockdocking Adventure....

Cris & Elane
Old 11-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #60
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have 4x4 and soon new axles... Hope...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , Colorado
Wyoming Snows will bring us August Flowers

Cris911... PM Maggie and she will get you on the list. If you have a dog, Maggie is keeping track of them as well. Nancy and I have started exploring Nevada and there are numerous areas worth visiting. We can talk about Nevada if you are able to attend Wyoming 2016.

You can also arrange to join up at a site after Laramie, Wyoming, if you find it saving you some time off of I-80. I expect to top off gas tanks at Rawlins on our way towards Lander on the first day.

As we get into May and June 2016, you and anyone else can determine what fits their schedule best to connect. Some areas do not have cell phone service. Jeffery City is one of those places on the way to Lander.
Primary Objective:

This is to make starting points flexible to all arriving and cut down driving time if necessary for those coming from the West Coast States. Maggie, Brent and Myself understand the sacrifice(s) you are making to come these long distances on a... suggestion that there is actually something at the end of this Rainbow.

Well, there is something at the other end of this Rainbow.

Starting at your end and then finding yourself camped at the other in Wyoming! If I were to say everything will go smoothly as it did at Quemado, New Mexico 2015, it would have to be discovered after we all depart our last camp. No matter, you will find yourselves among good company and a multitude of dogs... says Maggie.

Anyone who has not had second or third thoughts about such an adventure... you DO have to give it serious thought. I do not expect everyone who is interested at this moment to follow through to arrive in person... but with their thoughts of following the posts of those who did. The only Cold Feet some of us will experience is crossing several streams to catch the hiking trail for petrified wood. If something prevents you from attending, let Maggie or myself know at your earliest convenience.

Early 2016 I will, rather my wife will provide the check list we use on all of our OtG trips. Some might be new to your baggage, most of it the usual. Not all is necessary, but we follow it down to the last item to be considered on any particular trip. A Nevada camping trip requires items that Nebraska would not, etc.. You will need a shovel. You will need at least one flashlight. I carry enough tools to open a hardware store!

The New Mexico survivors will be anxious to help anyone new to OtG while on the road.

I am still amazed that people will take time out of their lives to experience something that many consider...out of their possible options with their Airstream. Which it just might be. But, what a wonderful way to discover what you believed were your limits to camping... and now nothing is off your "bucket list".

There are so many great OtG campsites in Utah and Nevada to consider for future exploration it is difficult to resist bringing them up. We can all dream, can't we?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #62
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris911 View Post
Having followed the New Mexico trip thread, we want to add our names to the list of definite participants -- if space is available. I know we're responding late, but please add 2 more to the list. We traveled through Wyoming this last summer, and committed to seeing more in 2016. Can't think of a better way to do that than as part of the 2016 Wyoming Rockdocking Adventure....

Cris & Elane
Great! Glad to have you join us!

Please pm me with your full names, cell phone #'s and email address, and that will make you official and in the loop for emails as we get closer.

Now at 15 rigs, Ray's limit for this trip, anyone else interested will go onto a waiting list.

Up to 14 rigs!

Confirmed at this time....15 and holding:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Marshall
Dave and Lupe
Fred
David & Susan
Cris & Elaine
Maggie and Lily

Maggie
Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
I'll be sending Maggie our dogs' call names (although two are terriers, so calling is a fruitless effort if there's a ground squirrel near). But you post on lengths has us thinking. Should we also send her trailer lengths so that those of us in the 27' range can team up on some of the locations?
Old 11-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #64
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm not really keeping a dog tally....but there will be lots.

I can keep track of trailer lengths, if need be.....will leave that up to Captain Eklund.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Trailer lengths are important information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
I'll be sending Maggie our dogs' call names (although two are terriers, so calling is a fruitless effort if there's a ground squirrel near). But you post on lengths has us thinking. Should we also send her trailer lengths so that those of us in the 27' range can team up on some of the locations?

I do not "think" that we will find ourselves limiting anyone participating with trailers over 25 feet. That is the only length I am familiar with and have experience traveling into these areas. The feedback onto the original thread AFTER the trip will not only entertain but assure others that anything is possible if you want to explore away from the security of asphalt and wide roads. Most of the upgrades to the main roads are by road graders which are probably over 30 feet long but with 30 inches of clearance.

My off hand idea is to have the shorter trailers in the lead and the longest in the rear to watch others as they pull off the State/County/Forest Service roads. Observation will be your best guide to how you will approach a turn. I will, of course be the lead guinea pig, of sorts to show my technique(s). Thus the shovel and possible brush clippers available to those who might need them.

Everyone's driving ability is different. There will be plenty of help when needed to navigate the "beasts of the Airstream family" into a cozy location.

My intent mentioning differences in trailer lengths was to make everyone aware it does affect how you need to consider an approach to the OtG sites. None of these sites are of much concern for a 28 footer, as I vision them from some years ago. Some are "improved" two ruts and others bull dozed at one time with loose gravel applied. Some with just natural boulders and gravels for all weather travel.

It is a good idea to have a Wyoming DeLorme Atlas in the event you need to come in from the other direction. That happens when one access point is angled too sharply and you need to go ahead, find a turn around and safely enter. Even making a right turn on a narrow gravel road takes some planning with a longer trailer. Or... you can back into the OtG site, which is another technique when the turnout is impossible otherwise. Done it. Been there and you will need a competent pair of eyes watching for obstacles and giving you directions...

There are no washes that I recall from traveling to any of these sites. The bumper draggers. It has been three to five years or more traveling these areas and some roads might have even improved since then. This adds the "adventure" aspect to the trip.

If anyone feels a bit nervous about an area, it can be walked off the main road and watch others making their moves. No one has a natural instinct for this and it is learned by trial and avoid the error by being patient.

If anyone else have questions, ask now. The curious or planning on going. It will be a bit late when the sun is setting and everyone is squeezing into a beautiful sunset after the first day wondering what the ruckus was all about in trailer lengths.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #66
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wait list:

Kathy & Brian

Confirmed at this time....15 and holding:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Marshall
Dave and Lupe
Fred
David & Susan
Cris & Elaine
Maggie and Lily

Maggie
Old 11-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
2015 Wyoming Non Resident Fishing License

Non Resident Daily: $14.00 does not require Conservation Stamp
Non Resident Annual: $92.00
Non Resident Youth: $15.00 annual requires Conservation Stamp
... and a Conservation Stamp cost of $12.50 for the year
These prices are for 2015 and added for the 2016 Wyoming Adventure in August 2016 for anyone having an interest in fly fishing.

If you fish a lot... and plan to spend extra time, the annual might figure out to be a better deal. I am thinking three to five days at best. The photographs of big trout are usually from flat boat guides and floating down stream and fishing the side banks... so expect 6" to 14" trout. The big ones are in the big lakes and big rivers... not where we will be going.

For those getting daily licenses, I usually have mine become effective the following day, so I get my full day's worth of fishing. When you arrive at the camp site I walk the current stream channels and look for the deep pools. Then get out early and catch the trout before they figure out what is happening....

The areas we would be fishing are with dry or wet flies. I use pretty much anything that happens to be laying around in my tackle box. The proper flies would be picked up at DuBois, WY for that part of the trip, OR at Alpine, WY for that part of the trip. Anyone interested in Fly Fishing can speak up early so we make the stop at the local permit fishing at a Fly Shop. So if you are not sure, bring your pole(s) and you have the option.

The possible rivers we will be camped are the Greys River, Wiggins Fork/Fish Creek and Granite Creek depending on time and weather conditions, making future predictions a bit too early. Even when we are on the road, conditions can vary from hot, warm, cool or indifferent... This is Wyoming, the land of many climates all in one day.

August is expected to be warm days and cool evenings. Humidity during the day will be low. Rivers, or creeks in most cases, run low and the deep pools further from the easy campsite fishermen can be good producers of fish worth taking out to eat. Otherwise, many are a catch and release size that by the time you remove the head and tail... you haven't much fish left to fillet. Mostly "friers".

The Wyoming Game and Fish website might have more information as far as stocking various rivers and time schedule. Also what area has hatches for flies and anything else you might have an interest.

My expertise. If one fly is not getting any strikes... I just look around to see what is flying around and find something in my gear to try next. That is it.

The last big, maybe two pounder, I caught in a deep pool at DuBois in August. When I cleaned it, I actually felt bad for the... fish. So I have become more of a catch and release fisherman. My relatives on the Flat Head Lake in Montana would be disappointed in me... but their Lake Trout can be 20 pounders and feed the family. We are talking different fish. One is for sport, the other is for the freezer.

So... stop at the Fly Shop. Get your license. See the list on the chalk board with rivers and artificial flies to fit the hatch... or the last hatch... and buy a couple. Eventually you will have a collection of flies and the hatchery fish will go after about anything.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #68
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Photo for Ray.....Dubois, WY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	251860  
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #69