Old 11-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hey, Bob....should we add you and yours to the list of probable attendees?

If so, pm me your names, email address and cell phone numbers and that will make you official.

Ray has a 15 rig limit for this do, so throw your hat on in the ring if you think you will be able to join us.

I am certain it will be a great time.

Maggie

Old 11-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
There are some questions as to the suitability of various lengths of trailers
From my personal experience:
25 footer- Not too bad for making U turns with a little bit of pull out. Only bottomed out the rear end a few times

31 footer/ I have dragged my butt on my 31 quite a few times, even transitioning from driveways to the road. You have to plan your turns especially U turns. High centered once going over a bump over a culvert and tore off one of my stabilizer jscks.

34 footer 3 axle/ rear end is not cantilevered out much farther than a 31 because of the extra axle. Tight turns can be impossible. You may have to drive for miles to find a place to turn around.

As far as dragging your tail feathers you could run 16 inch tires, have axles with more down angle or lift the body a few inches.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Many advantages to being small.

Maggie
Old 11-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Gold Panning: Douglas Creek, Albany County, Wyoming

Burnside Bob... although there are few, if any, mineral or mining claims in the Wind Rivers... there are plenty of interesting rocks. Many too heavy to take home, though. Like your example.

For those who really, really want to find GOLD. There is Douglas Creek in the Snowy Mountain area west of Fox Park with Placer Gold. Anyone attending the 2016 Wyoming Adventure can crowd over my Wyoming Atlas and I will show you where. National Forest boondocking and the head waters of the North Platte River. We were camped in the area in August 2013 following an abandoned Railroad line, now a bicycle path, to recover some spikes for my "Railroad Spike and Track Collection".

There are some wonderful Off the Grid campsites in the area of Fox Park and if you get to Douglas Creek, there will be a number of tents, trailers and large RV's parked in an open area... recovering Gold Placer sand to pan out. My surprise was the number of campers, maybe 13 at this site... gold prospecting. Some prospectors with ten or more five gallon buckets of sand to run through a flume or pan out at the shallow "Douglas Creek". Obviously... someone is finding enough gold to make the hard work worth their time. Google... Douglas Creek Gold Placer, Albany County, Wyoming. It has been known since the 1860's.

Gold "prospectors" are a very tight group. Expect a cool reception and nobody giving out too much information. Just the nature of the business. If YOU find something... you will also be wise NOT to say what, where or show it off. Claim jumpers exist even today.

No... I did not stop, that time. There are a number of gold panning streams in the area. You can make it a detour if you have the minimum equipment required. Mostly... a strong back. It IS back breaking work even for those in prime health. Colorado offers similar opportunities. Hard Work = Low Pay.

I was in the general area prospecting for suitable gold panning in the early 1970's, but the mosquitos outnumbered the trees in the forest and we retreated back to Laramie, Wyoming. The history of this mining area is interesting. Just not much to develop commercially.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Hat in ring.

Hi Maggie:

I'm tossing my hat into the 2016 Wyoming Rockdocking Adventure ring. Neither of my vintage Airstreams will follow me as I will be soloing in my 1966 8' Alaskan camper on my 1992 Dodge W250 truck. The Alaskan is equipped with a 12 volt electric refrigerator powered by a Group 31M AGM battery that is fully recharged daily by two 100 watt solar panels. Propane powers the 3 burner stove top and catalytic heater, if needed. I will be rendezvousing at Laramie and will PM you my contact information pronto.

I'm looking forward to exploring more of Wyoming on this back country Rockdocking Adventure.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay!

Glad to have you join this great group.

Do you have a dog? It seems we're going to be short on dogs.

Confirmed at this time:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Marshall
Dave and Lupe
Fred
Maggie and Lily

Maggie
Old 11-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Not to worry, Maggie, we will likely be bringing three.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Oh, good.

Maggie
Old 11-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Up to 14 rigs!

Confirmed at this time:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Marshall
Dave and Lupe
Fred
David & Susan
Maggie and Lily

Maggie
Old 11-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Okay! Glad to have you join this great group. Do you have a dog? It seems we're going to be short on dogs.
Maggie
Hi Maggie:

No dog, but if I did it would have been a long one, so that should help counteract the shortage. Just bought a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer of Wyoming and will begin gazing at it.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Funny.

Me....I will just follow where Ray leads, and trust that it will be good.

Maggie
Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
What I refer to as the Snowy Mountains is found in the Wyoming DeLorme Atlas as the Medicine Bow Mountains and Medicine Bow National Forest.

The headwaters of the North Platte River is west of the Gold "diggings" and near some mining structures with tailings. The river is wide and about two feet deep up here. Great for tubing. Some take a "tubing trip" down to Saratoga, Wyoming and come out at the Hot Springs swimming pool. There the North Platte is about three feet deep and wide.

This area is also known for the trophy trout, but a catch and release area.

This could be added to someone's "things to do when I am bored" trip. It could be a Southwestern Wyoming adventure if you want to work through Northwestern Colorado and Southwestern Wyoming. Great areas to explore with Indian petroglyphs in Irish Canyon, Wyoming.

I see 47WeeWind from Denver is taking the plunge into the unknown. It also appears that Al and Missy will have some dogs to share with those of you who need a true friend when we cross a couple of cold mountains streams in 2016. All of our dogs will be smelling fresh after a few river crossings.

Maggie is collecting data and contact information as for New Mexico. Brent is offering a stopping point at Buffalo, Wyoming... the first flat spot when you leave the Bighorn Mountains. Nobody will be left out of the loop of information.

Since I get a bit wordy while typing... you will find that on the trip, I am more action and few on words.

Ask any questions to prepare yourself for the trip on this Thread. PM's and contact by email leave others out of good questions and information. Most of this "adventure" will prepare you for ANYTHING in the future. After a couple days of 2016 Wyoming, you might even want to come on your own in the future and spend time at one of the Boondocking sites we visit.

There will quiet times on this Thread at times, but as we get into the Summer 2016 everything that seems "murky" today... will be just "muddy" then.

Wyoming is known for several things. WIND and I forgot the others.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
East of Laramie, Wyoming BEFORE Territorial Prison meeting

Although many on this true adventure will meet at the Wyoming Territorial Prison parking lot in August 2016... those who arrive a day or three earlier have other options than twiddling their fingers in a parking lot along I-80.

To the east of Laramie are some areas you can explore on your own. You will most likely never been to any of these places, which is to your benefit. This is how you find wonderful Off the Grid and established campsites otherwise unknown to most.

Curt Gowdy State Park.
Granite Springs and Crystal Reservoirs (great fishing lakes also!)
Vedauwoo Rocks - Devil's Playground - Turtle Rock (great granite beginner climbing)

At the Vedauwoo Rocks I learned to climb using ropes that could be anchored on rings. You might find climbers repelling with ropes and running back and forth on these large granite faces.

Since I did not have a trailer at the time, you are on your own. That is the point. A chance to experiment and discover your undiscovered abilities of trying something new. I might even explore this area before meeting in Laramie just to relax.

There are signs along I-80 to exit to Vedauwoo Rocks, which is just to the north of the Interstate. It is an interesting area within the Medicine Bow National Forest. My DeLorme Atlas indicates four designated camp sites. I am sure there are more that are available for one or two trailers or tent campers.

Cheyenne is around 6200' elevation. Laramie is around 7200' elevation. Vedauwoo Rocks above 8,500' elevation. Breath the thin air, adjust to the altitude and you will be ready to explore the rest of Wyoming's camp sites all above 6800' and beyond.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Ray----You are too, too much. We wish it was sooner, waiting really is not "such sweet sorrow ". Looking forward to a fabulous time, just us no dog, but if it requires a 4wheel drive, we'll have to beg a ride. Really low clearance on these Interstates. AEW