Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #541
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Between Laramie, Wyoming and Medicine Bow, Wyoming is... well, not a whole lot but wide open prairie and wind. Parking was never an issue. Even at the Bone Cabin pullout where Dinosaurs were first discovered along the Union Pacific Railroad during the 1860's at Como Bluff, near Rock River. We were there, folks! One shed was built of Dinosaur bones. The five foot tall femurs on both sides of the house front door were missing, since the last time I spoke with the owner, she was in her 80's living there forty years ago. The place is now in ruins, but we were free to wander around the yard at will.

Medicine Bow, Wyoming and home of the Virginian Hotel and... lots of open space. These are digging into what photographs I have left that may not have been previously posted.

As you get further north or south of I-80 to the west of the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, there are Off the Grid campsites for everyone's level of comfort. The locals are happy to see you visiting... but, to get along with the locals... drop the attitude and just enjoy yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4669.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	278063   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4673.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	278064  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4680.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	278065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4678.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	278066  

Old 01-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #542
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We should open a drop box account and share the password among the participants. Then we could all upload our individual photo collections to the account and share them with the group.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #543
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
Ray mentioned that double cabin was a big disappointment, but was actually one of my favorite campgrounds. The scenery made the long drive worth it, unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate. It is still in the running for an eclipse viewing campsite this August.
traveluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #544
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
As Richard says 'Double Cabin was one of his favorites'. Imagine how the area looked before the forest fires. Most on the roadless Wilderness areas.

The 2016 campsite had a car camper and the Camp Host in his trailer as the only others in this huge area.

Give it time... future generations will find the area restored back to its former glory. Although, less fog, sleet and rain would be a big plus.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #545
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
niceville , Florida
Hey we are interested, have the time to go, so where do my wife and I sigh up.

Kevin
kapt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #546
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
niceville , Florida
looking for Richard? Mas Tierra ?

Guys, looking for Mas Tierra Airstream handle guy, Richard perhaps? anyone have a good email?

Lost his phone number at the can opener rally!

Kevin
Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #547
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapt59 View Post
Guys, looking for Mas Tierra Airstream handle guy, Richard perhaps? anyone have a good email?

Lost his phone number at the can opener rally!

Kevin

Hey Kevin. Send me an email at rcwarren53@gmail.com. Richard & Karen Warren. Will exchange cell# etc
Mas Tierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #548
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
niceville , Florida
email?

did you get my email Richard? spam folder?

Kevin
Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #549
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hi guys we revisited Grey's River mid September. Trout fishing was a blast. Had to cut and run due to snow in the pipe. We are now on our way home.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #550
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Hi guys we revisited Grey's River mid September. Trout fishing was a blast. Had to cut and run due to snow in the pipe. We are now on our way home.

Same fishing hole as in 2016? I will beat you to it in 2018.

After cruising through Nevada, Idaho and Montana... I still find that Wyoming and Colorado have the finest fly fishing opportunities for those not hiring a guide. Utah, although might have some possibilities...

There may be more water flowing in the Yellowstone, Salmon, Snake and other large rivers in the Rockies... but none like those in Wyoming, where you can wear sandals and short pants in or out of the river.... or creek to the rest of you.

By the way... Gearheart fixes up some fine fresh trout. I still have two of his hand tied flies in the trailer. Been saving them for a 'special spot', now that you know where this favorite spot is located, I may have to go upstream a few miles.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #551
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Gotta say that there is fine fishing in Wyoming but the landowner laws make it a whole lot harder. In Wyoming the landowner owns to the bottom of the middle of the river and you're trespassing if you wade up stream from public access onto private property. In Montana, the public has access to within ten feet of the high-water line so there's a whole lot more river available to the non-guided yokels like me.

Echoing Gearheart, we were up on the upper Stillwater near the Beartooth -Absaroakee wilderness above Nye, MT on 9/15 and awoke to snow! That was 4 days after daytime temps in the lower 90's. Ain't nature grand?

Tight lines!
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #552
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Post #551, as anyone, in the know, like to catch Montana Trout versus a Wyoming Trout. I refer to them as being 'tame and mellow', but that is only my opinion.

Much like boat dock Carp, Bass or Blue Gill, Montana Trout are pimped out and hand fed at the Fish Hatcheries throughout the State. Those 25 cent Fish Food vending machines may even be provided outside of the Fish Hatcheries in the State along more popular fishing areas. So, carry a pocket full of quarters (no Canadian quarters as they are 100% nickel and could jam up the trout chow vender), when fly fishing in Montana.

Wyoming Trout, like those Gearheart stalks in the wilderness, feed on Montana Trout. You open up the gullet of a Wyoming Trout to find small animals and birds they have been feeding upon. Montana... gourmet French Snails and salads. Much thinner and healthier to eat, but too lean and small for Wyoming's shallow fast moving streams.

Anyone who fishes Wyoming Rivers that run over, four feet wide and knee deep, know. I believe there will be others that will support Gearheart's and my experiences in the Wilds of Wyoming. Even if... there could be a tiny bit of truth in either of these three posts.

Mas Tierra has bent a few flies in Wyoming... he has no reason to deny any of the above as exaggerations. Unless, his guided fishing trips turned up twigs and brush off the banks for the day's catch on the dangerous rivers flowing out of Wyoming in his yacht, ice chest full of beer, staff of fish consultants and wearing a clean shirt.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #553
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Ray may be onto something. A favorite fly in Montana is Cheetos tied on a #12 hook...
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #554
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming Adventure 2020

I can guarantee that most Airstream owners who would really like to Boondock... are a bit apprehensive to attempt such an Adventure. Myself attempting to go the the central Appalachians to dry camp... I would not have a clue. Zero idea of where to start. It would take several years just to get an idea of what to expect.

Wyoming is one of those States that offers so much accessible National Forest and Bureau of Land Management camp sites, it would take many volumes of tour guides just to list the easy campsites available. At least 75% would be unknown to the average 'peek a boo' camper. Venture just so far and then turn around.

There are more cattle in Wyoming than people.

There are more tourists at Yellowstone National Park during the summer months than citizens of Wyoming. Well, maybe more or less.

There are way more trout in Wyoming than Nevada, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico, combined. If not, tell me where in one of those States and I will be the judge.

Carp... Nevada at Lake Mead, Hoover Dam and New Mexico at Snow Lake in the Gila Wilderness area are HUGE.

Many think of Boondocking as a campground with a view like Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. Or the sandstone Arches at Moab, Utah. Or the Grand Canyon of Arizona. Or the Anasazi Ruins of New Mexico.

Just the sight of the Grand Teton coming from DuBois, Wyoming will satisfy your desire of something magnificent and almost all in Idaho. But Wyoming has the nicer side. OK?

The 2016 Wyoming Adventure had TEN distinct places to Boondock OTG. Trailers up to 30 feet made it. You can follow comments by some of those who did half or finished all ten OTG Campsites. Photos included.

These localities are described in this Thread. You can easily spend ten days, if not a week just fishing the Grey's River, southeast of Alpine, Wyoming and many pullouts for miles into the mountains to the headwaters. You must be an independent thinker. Have confidence and having the maps that Thalweg spent many hours to assemble to perfection. Although he and I knew where we were going before the detailed maps, it helps to have been there once or more often.

Wyoming is my Number One Boondocking State. Central New Mexico is Second.

Forget Nevada, no road access to most of the mountain ranges. Utah is Third.

Colorado is Fourth... not because there is not a lot to see, but there are so many people and mountain roads get crowded. Several highways offer Mountains Passes that will age you two years going UP, and six years going DOWN.

Entering Wyoming from the East border, a hundred miles into the Front Range of the Wyoming Rocky Mountains extend to Idaho. Excellent roads for access to remote areas. Not because they are remote, but most people are afraid of what they do not know. That is true. Although for sport... the Big Horns will give you an education of true mountain down hilling, not on skis, but your towing. Colorado, although has the best hair raising experiences, if you have... new brakes.

Once you follow this revived Thread, those that did attend will answer your questions. Just to make it half way through this Adventure took True Grit. To finish this Adventure took... well some determination and stamina that most Boondockers would faint with the thought of going UP or Down into... Double Cabin, for example.

Stop at the Wyoming tourist centers for maps and get the beautiful stickers each hand out that look like vintage art of a specific site in their area.

For fishermen... the streams stock under 15 inch trout. Most in the 12 to 15 inch. Licenses at times are a better deal for an Annual, which was $100 when I was there last. The Yellowstone River downstream from Yellowstone Park is wide, fish jumping in the middle of the river... but getting to them is another matter.

Plan your vacation. Even gasoline is cheaper in the State. If you do not like the weather on Tuesday. It will be different on Wednesday. Or Tuesday afternoon.

Learn from those who DID this Adventure. You can do yours at your pace. Happy Trails to You and buy a Western Hat in Cody, Wyoming.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #555
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Love Wyoming
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #556
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Ray, Boondocking 2020 now? Are you serious? When? We are going to the WBCCI rally in Loveland and have talked with Lucious and Danielle about revisiting Wyoming after the rally. Maybe checking out the hot spring that was smoked out in ‘16. We’d love to cross paths with you and Nancy again. Share a fire and some fishing stories, maybe some fish too.
G
Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #557
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2020 or 2012 or Bust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Ray, Boondocking 2020 now? Are you serious? When? We are going to the WBCCI rally in Loveland and have talked with Lucious and Danielle about revisiting Wyoming after the rally. Maybe checking out the hot spring that was smoked out in ‘16. We’d love to cross paths with you and Nancy again. Share a fire and some fishing stories, maybe some fish too.
G
I have had some feedback, much like opening a champagne bottle and getting hit in the eye with the cork. Caught me by surprise, since I do not like champagne.

Some push of 2021, maybe 2020, with some modifications. Like weather and climate change in the wilds of Wyoming. The 2016 Wyoming Adventure would be required reading and a new Thread opened up. If someone cannot pass the 2016 Wyoming Adventure route 'exam', you probably do not belong on a new Adventure. This is not for those afraid of the Dark, or catching a little Wyoming Attitude for wanting a hot shower every day and needing water every third day of the Adventure. This kind of travel needs some experience and being able to take on some responsibility.

If Nancy gets wind of this, she will kill me and feed me to the Blue Heelers to cover up the crime.

If there are changes to the route, 2021 most likely. Several of us may push into some other areas that are exceptional campsites, but keeping it under wraps if 2020 works for a couple of reliable Forum members... kind of thing.

There could be a required fishing quota and fry before deciding who can even attend. You would do the fish count since I have already seen your catches on the Grey's. Plus still have your two flies.

I sent Maggie some up to date information on the 'Hot Springs' site via email some time ago.

There will be a different, possible route, and those who have True Grit will have to take on some responsibilities. Fishing is your department. If I can get Thalweg involved with mapping that would be a big plus.

Snowy Range. Encampment. Inner tubing the North Platte headwaters. Soaking in a real hot springs that will sterilize any bacteria on your body. Things like that. I discovered that most did not enjoy the Wilderness aspect and Geology of 2016. Their eyes glazed over immediately. Less of that. Experience learned.

Jackson, WY was popular. Medicine Bow Hotel bar, as well. Not much at Oregon Buttes other than seeing the Oregon Trail heading west, although one of my favorites.

We will see. One requirement will be everyone needs to fly fish, or provide free meals for everyone when not near a creek, stream river or lake.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #558
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Mapping would be easy, though we might make it more challenging than last time. There have been no recent Sasquatch sittings near Lander, so he would no longer make a good landmark. Probably would have to resort to "turn left at the black cow, follow the centerline of the Hell Roaring River for 1.247 miles, traverse the boulder field on your right, climb the lodgepole pine, and you'll be able to see the campsite to your north-west".

I've got some ideas for a different area to explore, and I've got intentions of investigating those this summer if I can the wife to agree. Right now I'm keeping that location firmly ensconced under my hat. I would be nervous about taking a group into this area without checking it out first. Some of our lowland friends might need supplemental oxygen.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote