Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #435
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Neill, thank you for real time photos of the Double Cabin area. Your seeing 'Beware of Bear' brings tears to my eyes, knowing these fuzz balls are actually getting enough to eat around the campsite.

The Elevation may be high, but the Grade is not too bad. For those members who had a group of photographs of Double Cabin, recently, the Arctic Fox in the photo is being taken on top of one the switch backs. I have seen 40 foot horse trailers take it with ease... well, carefully with ease.

It also helps if your windshield is clean...

Having 'horse sense' is a big plus in all of these areas.

The gravel road that the Quemado New Mexico members attended at Quemado Lake in 2015... is similar in Grade. The drop offs provide many photo opportunities when no traffic is on the road. Maybe a hundred feet, here and there.... of no trees marring the photo, as they are too short.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #436
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
[QUOTE=Ray Eklund;1831021]
The Elevation may be high, but the Grade is not too bad. For those members who had a group of photographs of Double Cabin, recently, the Arctic Fox in the photo is being taken on top of one the switch backs. I have seen 40 foot horse trailers take it with ease... well, carefully with ease.
QUOTE]

I passed two of those pulling out while I was going in. Completely loaded with horses. Not a problem and all drivers are very good about watching for oncoming traffic and cooperating on an area wide enough to pass.

BTW, the Shoshone Forest Service office has quite a display on Bears and other critters. Poignant is a Sow Grizzly and two cubs mounted. The dialog explains that she was captured twice raiding campsites in different places; She was caught at Double Cabin and moved 78 miles north, but returned for a third time the next year with the two cubs in tow. The Forest Service had no alternative but to put her and the two cubs down to protect the public (supposedly). Don't feed the bears.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #437
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
santa fe , New Mexico
Bears Bears Bears

Here in the Santa Fe area we probably don't have as many bears as Wyoming but we try to keep them gainfully employed. The local argument is whether they should make minimum wage.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/new...ef1dfd412.html

Enjoy,
Tom
Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #438
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcguffy View Post
Here in the Santa Fe area we probably don't have as many bears as Wyoming but we try to keep them gainfully employed. The local argument is whether they should make minimum wage.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/new...ef1dfd412.html

Enjoy,
Tom
Bears pressing for equal beach access rights, Lake Tahoe, CA.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/185032731-story

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #439
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
What questions remained unanswered?

The chance of anyone confronting a Bear on this Wyoming Adventure, would be like finding bruised fruit at Walmart. Nearly impossible.

Our trailer is being outfitted, truck loaded and I am running out of things I want to do at home, requiring a chainsaw and long handled tree clippers.

The next five days, maybe fewer, will be your last chance to ask any questions about anything... having to do with the Wyoming Adventure. If none, any questions afterwards, until Laramie, must be written on paper, rolled up, stuffed into a wine bottle, with cork and tossed in your back yard. Cause... by then it is too late to prepare before we begin.

I have enjoyed bantering and fine tuning, with a hammer, with everyone on this Thread. When you discover one or more campsites to your liking... notate the location on your map(s) and you will always have a place to visit while traveling through the area. This is the 'tip of the iceberg' for Rocky Mountain camping. It is, truly unlimited and so variable to everyone's personal preferences.

After these various Base Camps and Off the Grid sites, you will be forever changed, seeking more of these remote places next season. These places may be near your home or far away places to explore, that NEVER need reservations at all.

Few can break the bonds that requires distant planning, reservations and painful worry, months ahead of traveling. Being flexible is from experience, not a mistake.

This is a We CAN Do adventure, not an... Is it Possible?
Old 08-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #440
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I made a reservation at the Laramie KOA for Friday night....one final good shower, empty tanks, fill with freshwater, etc.

See y'all soon!

Maggie
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #441
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I'm inbound. Camping in desMoines tonight left Kitchener Sunday morning and spent last night in Benton Harbour Mi. Could be in Denver by Wednesday night at this rate. Have to be there by Friday night. My father's saying was "There's nothing wrong with early, late is another story. .
Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 AM   #442
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am poking along the North Platte River....if I could just find a fishing pullout, I would be really happy to spend a night on the banks.

Going to be into Laramie on Wednesday, I've decided, as there are things I need to do in preparation which are best done in "still" mode.

I still haven't bought bear spray, and that is on my shopping list...

Maggie
Old 08-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #443
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Cheyenne or Laramie, WY vicinity... Off the Grid site

If anyone will be in the Laramie or Cheyenne, Wyoming vicinity Friday afternoon, call Nancy at her cell number, Friday after Noon. West of Cheyenne and East of Laramie off of I-80.

Two of us are hoping to find an open Friday trailer pull through campsite along I-80, spend the evening and leave for the Wyoming Territorial Prison Saturday AM. If there are any campsites to be found once we are there, a quick look over of the area can be made to accommodate others, arriving early. Otherwise, the Territorial Prison is Option Number Two...

I do not want to say too soon, where... as Friday can be a busy day for locals, as well, to camp out the weekend. If there are open sites when we arrive, I can give directions and try to appear disgusting enough to prevent others from wanting to camp near me.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #444
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming Migration has begun

I had an inquiry if any posts will be made on the progress of the Wyoming Adventure, for those who would have liked to attend, but were unable.

Nancy and I have 'dumb phones'. I have a $10 a month cell phone and rarely use it. Neither can do much of anything.

Some on this trip have sophisticated cell phones and tablets. I encourage any that can, to explain what is happening and add a photo whcih is worth a hundred of my words, any day.

I heard from Ice Man, to tell Maggie, that Wiggins Fork, ten miles downstream flowing into the Wind River is at 54 degrees, Sunday. Some mountain rains were clouding up the Wind River... but as you near Riverton, Wyoming the 'badlands' wash into the river, adding lots of clay in suspension.

One member is hunting for a tire for their Tow Vehicle in Wichita, Kansas.

One member is coming by Castle Rock around noon. We are offering our washing machine and dryer, as well as dumping trash for our Thursday trash pick up.

One member is going to miss our departure from Castle Rock, Friday AM and will be parked along our cul de sac for a peaceful evening. Anyone else is welcome.

One member is catching up with us at DuBois.

So the migration begins to Laramie. Some members I have not heard one word, or two words.

The moon is filling on this trip. The forecast for next week looks great. Fuel will be cheaper, than in Colorado. Costco at $1.95 yesterday for unleaded. We will have a member with a telescope and I want to see Mars and Saturn before they are gone for the season.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #445
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Just met Burnside Bob, SDunkin and Mrs. Fig at Idaho Rest Stop and wanted to book mark thread as we too are heading to Medicine Bow.
Burnside Bob & SDuncan it was a pleasure meeting you....as discussed I'm sad to leave Oregon!
Safe travels,
FCloud9 ( Sharon & Nick )
Old 08-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #446
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ray, how about a current list of attendees?

Maggie
Old 08-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #447
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
12 more or less out of an original 21....

Traveluminum left here about an hour ago. MasTerra will be here tomorrow, PM. Tmcguffy will be here Friday PM. Maggie is on her way to Laramie. We will be leaving Castle Rock, Friday AM with MasTerra to catch traveluminum at a remote Off the Grid site for Friday evening and drop into Laramie Saturday AM to catch the Territorial Prison Tour.

IceMan is back in Tucson, AZ after scouting western Wyoming. Double Cabin was dry and brown. Tucson was wet and green. Figure that weather pattern out. Nita... see you in Tucson this February... get feeling better!

Out of 21 original date closed number of members, 11 for the entire two weeks.

I expect 11 and a 12th meeting at Double Cabin. There could be... more, there could be less.

FCloud9... you know where to find us. The same with anyone else that just... happened to be in the area.

I heard from Thalweg that Wyoming's gas is a dime or so higher than Colorado. There was a ten cent tax increase when gasoline bottomed out several years ago.

I am reading the Ford F350 manual on how everything works... this is going to be a On the Job process.

Traveluminum has 8 Michelin's on the ground... I am going to catch his opinion on how they are working out. Same for me. Anyone else? This Adventure will be a great test for tires, rivets and a few grey hairs in the process.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #448
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We all owe a big thank you to Neil Freeman/Ice Man, for his efforts on behalf of those of us attending this shindig....he doing a lot of scouting and checking out and looking into in advance of this trip that he and his wife cannot attend.

Thank you, Neil.

Maggie