Old 10-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Lupe and I would like to go, if there's still room. Nancy too, if I can pry her out of the Wind River Mountains for long enough. I'll use this trip as an excuse to either drop her off or pick her up from one of her marathon solo backpacking trips.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 10-17-2015, 05:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Confirmed at this time:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Marshall
Dave and Lupe
Maggie and Lily

We need more dogs.

Maggie

Old 10-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
DuBois has Backpacking Trails too...

[QUOTE=McDave;1697936]Lupe and I would like to go, if there's still room. Nancy too, if I can pry her out of the Wind River Mountains for long enough. I'll use this trip as an excuse to either drop her off or pick her up from one of her marathon solo backpacking trips.

Backpacking from our campsite at DuBois all the way to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons is possible on horse/backpacking trails in the wilderness areas. Although you would have to figure the driver finds backpacker coordination successful. We often find groups making the trip as it takes a week or more (?) and at higher elevations than the towns of DuBois and Jackson, WY.

Our intent is to collect some nice silicified or opalized "petrified" wood that washes down this area. Never came back empty handed, although you have to carry out everything so have to be careful how heavy a load can one carry.

Fly fishing for smaller trout, under 14", could still be OK this late in the season. The higher up you go the smaller the trout... 4" to 6".

Those who enjoy the Wilderness will be base camping at a number of access points to Wilderness Areas and... will if you want, wander the Wind River Mountains, then camp for access to the Salt River Range, to Pinedale/Big Piney, to the Bridger Wilderness Area... refreshing on a casual hike or up into the Wilderness areas on decent horse/backpacker trails.

Our plan is to Base Camp and explore with 4x4 or two wheel drive for almost any access to well maintained all weather roads. Plans change with any weather changes, lack of Off the Grid campsites or we decided to make a detour at the last moment.

One common response about western Wyoming is that... no one will ever say again that "Wyoming is FLAT".
Old 10-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #32
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Subscribing in case of a change in plans for next summer.....
Old 10-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Finding Wyoming Rocks, Oh My!!

Susan and I have followed this thread since day 1 with great interest!!

We would love to attend, along with our pint sized woof woof 'Mrs Figg'. Hiking, fishing, rock hunting. Yeah!!

Just not sure how we will keep our garden, orchard, and yard alive if we take off that long in the hottest, driest part of year.

Boondocking Close to Home

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
My wife wrote a guidebook to the wind rivers some years ago, "Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming," and she has been working on adding new routes and updating old routes for the last several years aiming at a revised edition possibly coming out next year. While I seem to be getting older every year, she has evidently found the fountain of youth and still has no problem running up and down the continental divide at elevations of 11,000' plus for weeks on end. I'm happy to backpack together for a couple of weeks every year, so long as she promises me that we'll arrive at camp no later than 1:00 PM or 2 at the latest, and understands that my days of 3:00 AM starts to bag a peak are over. Most of the routes she wants to add to her guidebook are out of my league, and I would be happy to be close enough to pick her up at one trailhead and deliver her to another, letting her relax in the chateaux Flying Cloud for a few days in between if she wishes. Lupe and I like to see new places and day hike together. If we find a piece of petrified wood or catch a fish, so much the better!
Old 10-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming's mountains are full of... Rocks

McDave.... I see the title on a book site I had used to sell Geology books. All new 2010 printed copies in paperback.

She must know Kent S. of Casper, WY. He and I collected Badlands fossils while at the University of Wyoming and he spent plenty of time in the Wind Rivers after 1974. Small world. He also likes to climb steep rock faces to... relax.

Burnside Bob: If you go to Boondocking and can find the Wyoming Jade thread... I plan to stop in that area for a day. The best Jade finds were picked up in the 1930's. Today the easy pickings are gone, although it only takes a small piece showing to find it.

North of Jeffery City, WY are several Jade quarries of a more common grade Jade. The "Jade Slicks" SE of Lander, WY are high grade like British Columbia Jade. No one has figured out the source of the Wyoming Jade, but it probably had weathered out millions of years ago during the Rocky Mountain uplift. Maybe... we could find the source by accident? Think not, but if we do... there will be plenty of help! Probably west of Lander originally. (?) We can all dream.

Lupe will find a nice variety of Canis lupus among we Homo sapiens.

We will not run out of places to visit, but time is an important factor for some. The best part: everyone can work within THEIR schedule. Water, groceries, restaurant stops, fly shops... etc. are necessary visits while traveling on this trip before we go to any Base Camp and rest, if rest is possible.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Lusby , Maryland
Would love to come. I hope to work it out. We, my husband, dog Toby, (our chihuahua) and I would be traveling out from Maryland. We would probably be camping in our Suburban as our Argosy isn't quite road worthy at the moment and not sure it will be anytime soon. Working on getting the truck into shape.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Camping in your Suburban could be done for this without a problem, Decembergal, so don't let that stop you.

Sounds like Ray has a route planned that will mean easy access to supplies, so not having to carry everything needed for 7-10 days makes it simpler for all of us who are space challenged.

Keep us posted.

I am already planning to mentally plan my trip out, and whether to go to the west coast before or after this event.....I'm thinking before.

Maggie
Old 10-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #38
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
You should come visit me in Green Creek....that would be an adventure....
Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 Wyoming: West and East Base Camp meetings

I have had to give some consideration to those individuals coming from the WEST and EAST. Although it will take some prodding on my part for "guides", I have a proposal to help save driving time, for those who would be coming to Laramie, Wyoming from the West Coast.

My preliminary idea at this time is to have TWO Base Camps to gather the "troops".

Laramie, Wyoming: Wyoming Territorial Prison Parking Lot
Lander, Wyoming: Lander National Forest Service office in the SE part of town

The Laramie Base Camp will be departing the morning of August 14th, 9AM.
The Lander Base Camp will be departing August 14th, BUT taking a detour, as an option.

Since Wyoming IS bigger than Texas, if you flattened the State to 3,000 feet elevation... there are multiple options for those who find this idea to their liking on this Adventure.

Some of you should have a Wyoming Highway MAP. If it were not for those pesky Mountains in the way, this would be easy. But the Wind River Mountains are rugged and have no way to cross except at the "junctions, passes or gaps". You will understand when you see these mountains with your own eyes. A map does not do justice to this rugged corner of Wyoming.

Maggie (Lily&Me) and Brent (Thalweg) are keeping track while all of this... develops. We had felt that ten individual units would be enough and I pushed it out to include others. Fifteen units is more than enough, so myself making a "Custer Decision" am limiting the trip to fifteen units should work for everyone in a positive way. A "standby list" can be made in the event that some of the current 13, or possibly 15 by next year are expecting to attend... cannot. This is where my idea of splitting up began to develop.

Having trailers, RV Interstates and tent camper(s) is an excellent mix for the Off the Grid sites. At the present, Brent and Maggie are going to give me some feedback on my initial proposal to make this comfortable for everyone and their limited vacation time. The time in Wyoming is closer to ten days and for those who want an EXTRA day... there is a little slop... in the travel times.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Lander Option

I just returned from our annual Arkansas trip. Now to catch up with planning the next trips.

If there is interest in meeting in Lander as opposed to Laramie, we can certainly do that. If anyone would like to go with that option, please contact me and we'll discuss the pro's and con's. I don't think we need to decide right away though. We've got plenty of time, and I'm the kind of guy who likes to keep my options open until they need to not be open.

I'll pose an additional option to consider. Anyone who wants to come to Buffalo WY a day or two (or more) in advance can camp out at our place. Then we can caravan to Laramie or Lander. We've got room for 4-5 rigs, or more with the help of a neighbor. Buffalo is on I-90 and at the northern end of I-25.

This is totally unrelated, but I've got to include this picture of Connie and Porsha "playing the ponies" in Cambridge Nebraska a couple of days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-23-15 Phone Download 637.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	250889  
Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Off the Grid Airstream Lengths- Optimum to Risky

I hope that Connie is bringing her Pony to DuBois, Wyoming as there are many trails she and Porsha can follow. She can Bounce in the Saddle with the best of them.

There are some questions as to the suitability of various lengths of trailers on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. While tossing in my sleep... I thought it all out without any diversions of my attention, other than WHY? can't I just sleep with or without diversions.

Off the Grid Airstream Lengths: (Note- Airstreams...ONLY)

16 to 20 feet: Optimum Off the Grid travel with fewer resources within trailer
21 to 25 feet: Favorable Off the Grid travel and for longer periods of time
26 to 28 feet: Less than Favorable Off the Grid travel, but for longer periods of time
29 to 34 feet: Risky Off the Grid travel and the maximum period of time

The 16 to 20 foot Airstreams can extend their period of time Off the Grid, by merely having fresh water and solar/generator for battery recharge. This IS a big plus for these trailers.

The 21 to 25 foot Airstreams risk dragging their bumpers on roads with washes and dry creek crossings. It is the extra length beyond the axles that is always most at risk for dragging. Once your bumper is dragging, chances diminish to back up out of this dilemma. One will have to use leveling blocks to elevate the rear bumper to back OUT of the difficulty.

Any 26 to 28 foot Airstream can risk not only dragging the rear bumper, but ALSO the hitch and spare tire. Extra caution must be considered when traveling alone in an area Off the Grid with the possibility of pass through a dry wash or gravel bottomed creek bed.

Most with a 29 to 34 foot Airstream would have to be very careful. Even making sharp turns become nearly impossible to maneuver to turn around. Each additional foot of length brings in new caveats.

Remember: I have only traveled in a 23 and a 25 foot Airstream to make these comments. I fly fish better in my sleep as well, so let that be a warning to you.

The longer the Airstream, you must mitigate the possibility of dragging the rear bumper... FIRST. Remember, coming back the same way you change the angles once again and must mitigate the possibilities.

At first you might believe that it is impossible to go anywhere off the asphalt with a longer trailer. Some Off the Grid roads are totally harmless for 100 miles. It is that ONE dry creek bed crossing at mile marker 99 that can block you from going the last mile. Your fuel is down below a safe return from where you entered... and you have come to a situation only a few of us have encountered. Myself included. This is why for new OtG towing, it is safer with one or more others traveling untested territory.

None of the routes on this 2016 Wyoming have any risk of high centering your trailer, but the 28 to 34 footers need to make adjustments in your position in the road to make curves easy, which a 16 footer meanders around easily. It comes down to a "mental game" and you map your route using what road is available as you travel.

The majority of County and Forest Service main routes are well designed for all traffic... as Ranchers bring in 18 wheelers of cattle for grazing. But... these trailers have higher clearances compared to an Airstream and the length of "cattle hauler" is of little concern... unless finding a turn around that is convenient.

When... YOU are tossing in your sleep... put yourself in some awkward situation pulling your trailer and consider your options. Your dream will be much worse than reality, but it does help to expect the worse, and not experience it.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:45 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Rockdocking

Glad to see this thread back to life. So what you are saying is that we need our ball mounts on a hydraulic cylinder so we can raise and lower the hitch to wag the tail up or down?

Never been looking for rocks with anyone that knew what they were doing. Might actually find something this time.

I did buy a number of publications from an on-line dealer of geological publications, including a USGS survey of the Wind River Range. Think I gave that one to my daughter, who is the real rock collector of our tribe. IIRC, per this report, the Winds were kinda a bust for commercially viable mineral deposits, with only a little placer gold found to the SE of the range.

So I'm really looking forward to this trip. I think Figgie is too. Figgie on a cold hiking day:

Here's a little rock we found in the Winds a few years back:

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote