Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #393
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
A copy of Thalweg's maps sounds like just the ticket! McGuffy's maps have been very helpful already and a larger version will help a guy like me that has difficultly reading small print. I'm putting a magnifier on the list of things to bring on this trip! This is going to be one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences and we are looking forward to it. Thanks to everyone who has participated in planning this adventure.

I entered McGuffy's coordinates on Google Earth and did a fly through of the route beginning at the Territorial Prison and ending at Oregon Buttes - wow, it's going to be interesting.

Thanks to Ray for the email containing beautiful pictures of the area we will be seeing. We hope to take some similar spectacular pictures with our camera - it will make a beautiful slide show.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #394
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Taos , New Mexico
We hope you all have an incredible time! We're beginning to get out there and savor summer in the mountains, but will really miss the group in WY...

Cheers!
Chris & Carla

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1469560249.189326.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	267747Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1469560282.872905.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	267748

Old 07-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #395
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And we will miss you.

Maggie
Old 07-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #396
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
santa fe , New Mexico
Book recommendations

First. Do we need to reserve a copy of Thalweg's maps? If so, I do.

Second. For those of us who don't know one rock from another, I am reading "Rising from the Plains" by john McPhee. This is an old book 1986 but still relevant. It is about the geology of Wyoming and a biography of David Love, the premier geologist of the Rocky Mountains. It is written for the layman. I got it used on Amazon for .01 + 3.99 shipping.

Tom
Old 07-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #397
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
A Wyoming State Map at Highway Patrol office...

David Love and Family had a cabin outside of... where else... DuBois, Wyoming.

Thalweg printed 15 sets of his large maps. They will all be taken to Laramie. Each leg of the trip will have the latest map posted, so everyone can access each phase of the trip. Those who want a physical set of maps, I will have them available.

Once I looked through Thalweg's maps taken from the information of my unintentional mapping camp site notes... there may be a great opportunity to provide similar maps of other Rocky Mountains campsites that otherwise would have not been possible. These may be a great 'beta test' for solo and group Adventures, for anyone.

Of Course, Brent and Tom, put in the time to put these maps together on their own time and expense. Brent went one step further and did this massive printing of his detailed routes at various scales, depending on the distances covered on those travel days. It beats paying for US Geological Survey quadrangles and section maps from Denver, Colorado as it would take a large number.

I have communicated with Thalweg that these kinds of maps are very handy for those wanting to camp Off the Grid, but do not know WHERE to go and HOW to get there. These make it much too easy, but technology today makes even the most obscure campsites accessible. With paper maps and hand held GPS units, even the most insecure Off the Grid solo camper has the information to travel up to their skill limitations.

I had been in the geological sciences Book Business for more than ten years. Technology now provides State and Federal publications available on the Internet... for FREE. The text is fine. Photographs and small illustrations can vary from excellent to fair. It is always the MAP(s) that cannot be reproduced as well, if at all. The software and size and complexity of each map can be considerable. Some day, even high quality maps will be available once hand held devices can support their technology.

I had called David Love maybe ten or more years ago, if he was interested in selling his library. Apparently his son was going to take his library.

Each State has their 'Geology Rock Stars'. Texas and Oklahoma have the largest number of publications due to the Petroleum Industry. Alaska is right up there with these two States. Information is available, but it is locating it is most difficult.

Most buyers now want publications with maps concerning Precious Metals, Paleontology and Mineral / Mining. A 75 to 150+ year old map is worthy of framing as art.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #398
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I will also be interested in a set of those maps.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #399
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will not need a set of maps, never planning to boondock by myself....I will be following those who have maps, and GPS.

Maggie
Old 07-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Be... prepared for warm days and cool evenings!

Google the temperatures of the towns we will be near for highs and lows. If those appear to be comfortable and something to look forward to by those coming from lower elevations, August evenings will be slightly cooler than your November highs, during the day.

Short pants are great for the day hikes. Wearing pants in the morning will get hot in an hour after sunrise. After a couple days, you will be adjusted to WHY people keep Wyoming's climate a secret this time of the year.

Lows in the upper 40's to lower 80's at DuBois... and we will be at elevation at our campsite near Double Cabin.

Nancy is outfitting our closet, pantry and the interior of our trailer... soon.

Bring... Summer and Fall clothing options. I often wear a tee shirt, a long sleeved shirt and a Levi jacket in the morning and begin to strip as the thermometer 'soars' to 81 degrees... almost air conditioning for some of us. I like tying the long sleeve shirt around my waist, so if a cloud moves through it is available as the temperature will drop.

I expect the evenings to be on the cool side of the scale, while the low humidity and 70's is absolutely delightful for those of you with high humidity and into the 90's+F.

Just expect cool evenings. We had frost most mornings at Taylor Reservoir, Colorado at 9300 feet. By sunrise... dry, clear and warm!

We will have a filling Moon on the Wyoming Adventure. That is always a bonus.

Bring well worn tennis shoes, sandals and 'broke in' hiking boots. Breaking in new boots on this trip will give you some blisters and sore feet. Often I wear sturdy sandals for all of this... but then, I never was normal.

Indians did fine for thousands of years in these areas without Vasque soles and boots.

Trek poles are fine in metro area hiking. I need to be able to bend over and look at any shiny or dull objects sticking out of the ground. One free hand is best. Having a sturdy walking stick from a Beaver Pond or something you whittled out of a log jam alongside a river... work very well. I carve our names on our walking sticks, so I can remember our names. After a week, you will not remember your Zip Code.

Shovel. A real shovel. Not the GI folded shovel which worked fine until you need it. You get stuck... without a shovel, you are stuck.

A sling bag to carry colorful rock finds is always handy.
Carrying snacks, water bottle and a pocket knife is a bonus. Watch a Mountain Trapper movie to understand. Gets you into the spirit and you will be set for an alternative life style.

A variety of beat up hats, caps and hiking socks are useful. Loose boots are blistered feet. Wet feet, ditto. Crossing Wiggins Fork at Double Cabin, sandals work fine for the crossing and dry out quickly. Tennis shoes... an extra pound.

Many of you may be experienced in this kind of terrain. Leaning the hard way is... easier for me, less so for you. Carry a quality spray can for mosquitos. There could be zero or more than one from one area to another.

There are countless miles of bicycle trails and roads to explore. Beats walking.

There is an old Log Cabin near Sawmill Creek, outside of Lander. I will point out the direction. It is up to you to figure out how to get there. Hike or bike... your choice. Or... drive. No... you cannot see it from the main road. Yes... once you get there, you will see it as that is where the road ends.

I am sorry if you were expecting rain, sleet and snow on this August trip. It might not happen, but you can hope and dream. Often... September can bring the area's first snow. October... you can be living in the high country for a few weeks waiting for the snow to melt down to being passible.

We are getting down to an easily managed group. This gives us more options to wander a bit, if it works out. Avoiding any areas that may still have active fires will be a... treat, as there are more campsites than campers this time of year.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Cliff Creek Fire East of Granite Creek Hot Spring campsite

The Cliff Creek fire is on the East Side of Granite Creek. Our intended campsite is on the West side of Granite Creek, which is outside the fire perimeter. Go to www.TetonFires.com for the latest map. A total of 26,818 acres are in the burn area. The area is closed at the present. More as a precaution as I suspect the fire is moving away from the burnt timber. By the time we are at Laramie, we will have the latest information.

I am currently considering a 'Plan B for Granite Creek'. There is a National Forest pay campsite along the Snake River and Palisades Reservoir, just west of Alpine, Wyoming. It over looks the reservoir and trailer parking developed. No services, other than water, are expected. Probably rest rooms for the boaters, but I have not been there for many years and you can look it up and discover what the campsite offers.

Alpine, Wyoming is the gateway to the Greys River campsites and Cottonwood Creek, the gateway to the Up and Over to eventually Oregon Buttes.

Check your Wyoming Atlas. Although Palisades Reservoir entrance is in Idaho.

Thanks Thalweg for your constant reminder that having up to date information helps determine our route.

Boondockers must understand that the best drawn plans can change daily depending on conditions, if necessary.

I know of a wonderful Off the Grid campsite straight East of the Grand Teton, Jackson Hole and Jenny Lake, towering 800 feet or more above the valley. I doubt seriously anyone would want to attempt the one lane gravel road I towed our 23 footer. It is a steep grade to arrive at this camp site. There is another access road, but... I have not tried. This would be a Plan C and only if the other access road is much better, yet doubtful. I will leave this one to your imagination.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #402
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
I sure was looking forward to the Granite Creek site, with the hot springs and all. Heard very good things about it but didn't know where it was till Tom's maps.

Wasn't Fremont Lake, NE of Pinedale, on the original itinerary? That could be interesting, as that is near the central West side of the Wind River Range.

Susan and I were thinking of camping in the Snowy Range before dropping into Laramie. Any specially great camping places where Hwy 130 crests the range?

Ray, thanks for keeping an eye out on these potential trip disruptors.

TIA

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #403
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Steep grades on gravel roads sound a bit scary.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #404
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post

Susan and I were thinking of camping in the Snowy Range before dropping into Laramie. Any specially great camping places where Hwy 130 crests the range?

TIA
The Snowy Range has many single pullouts for National Forest campsites. Just drive from Laramie traveling Southwest on Hwy. 230 towards Woods Landing and then pick an area of interest....

OR

Hwy. 130 straight West of Laramie and do the same.

I would be tempted to camp the evening at a parking lot near Medicine Bow Peak.

If you bicycle, there is a bike path from an abandoned railroad grade near Foxpark that goes for miles. Find yourself a pull out to camp.

There is a gas station and 'RV Park' of some kind next to the station, at Woods Landing. Inquire there for some landmark(s) of interest.

Once there, get out a decent map and find a spot that looks interesting. You will find few campers and along the rivers some local fishermen. Quiet and peaceful.

Bring mosquito repellant. You may be on their menu.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #405
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
VOTE for Gros Ventre CG or hope Granite Creek is open...

It has been suggested, by an individual who will remain anonymous, another option for the Granite Creek Campsite. IF, the area still remains closed due to fire control, or the area has been degraded to the point that any other option is preferred.

-Gros Ventre Campground. It is 11.5 miles south of Moose, WY. This would be well positioned as a campsite as we pass Moose going to Granite Creek. This site is a fee area, but has electricity at some sites, dump station and First Come, First Serve. We are slightly off season, so even a group area will work.

I would not hesitate to substitute Gros Ventre for Granite Creek just for the fact that camped among a burnt forest is not exactly what any of us have in mind for a pleasant camp site.

Please read what you can about Gros Ventre Campground. Vote on this Thread or Email me at boondockingairstream@gmail.com. You must be on my short list of those meeting at Laramie.

I have never camped at Gros Ventre. With 300 individual sites... and 5 group sites, it could be a chance to visit Jackson, take a long shower, visit the dump station, top off your fresh water and be ready for more Off the Grid camping the following day.

And as a footnote... I would also be tempted to detach trailer and take anyone via your own tow vehicles to the best view of the Grand Teton area. We would go up my original steep route, when I pulled our 23 footer to the site, and then exit using the optional access.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #406
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gros Ventre sounds fine with me.

No, we don't want burnt out areas if we can avoid them.

Maggie