Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #481
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Seen It... Done It... Survived It

Arrived at 12 noon today, after camped in the Snowy Range of the Medicine Bow Mountains, west of Laramie, Wyoming. Drove the 'paved" Highway 130 from Saratoga... on the way back to Castle Rock.

Medicine Bow Peak and Lake Marie were stunning at sunrise. Nancy and I found an Off the Grid campsite, .6 miles off of 130 and a few miles west of the very white Snowy Range peaks. Anyone who finds Yosemite beautiful... eliminate the crowds and see this area of South Central Wyoming. Plenty of campgrounds and roads with OtG sites. The Range View is longer than Yosemite with sparse visitors... to our liking!

The absolute worst portion of the two weeks on the road in Wyoming... driving from Fort Collins, Colorado thru Denver south. Grid Lock and not even rush hour.

I will be down loading my photographs on the Thread in the next day or two. IF, I can figure out how to become a Supporting Member...

Some of the photographs were after climbing granite out crops at Sawmill Creek with Traveluminum (Richard). Richard climbed it twice as I was looking over some Indian Sites on the way up. We were the only two willing to risk life and limb and overcome the vertical drop on most of the climb. The view of the campsite looked like shiny cans tossed off the side of the road...

As I think about it... we both had to be nuts.

We had SNOW, hail, rain, wind, heat, frost, cold, sunshine galore... and the dried mud and dust to prove it all true. Just an average two weeks for those experienced in Wyoming's High Country. The snow topped the highest peaks at Double Cabin.

It is much more difficult with a group, as no one would be surprised. Making quick decisions from the original Itinerary due to changing high country weather conditions was a fact of life. Actual 'voting' took place several times. One for departing the voracious winds at the cliff side views at Beaver Rim, and the 24 hour rain that began the second day at Double Cabin. For those who could not understand Wyoming Weather... it was a lesson learned.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #482
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Had a Wyonderful time in Wyoming . . .

A hearty and heartfelt Thank You! to Ray and Nancy for organizing this awesome 2016 Rockdocking Adventure and guiding the troops throughout our delightful Wyoming diagonal trip. The OtG campsites were spectacular and taught me the value of venturing down those National Forest Access two rut dirt roads in search of great campsites. My last night before arriving home was spent alone in a wooded campspot just off a two rut dirt road in the Roosevelt National Forest a tad north of Kings Canyon, CO on route 127. Cozy, cozy.

The company and companionship was warm and, after a few days without shaving, quite fuzzy. Flexibility was key as weather and occupied campsites caused necessary adjustments in travel plans, but we always ended up camped in beautiful locations. Although I have seen many photographs of the Grand Tetons, I was not prepared for their magnificence in person . . . absolutely stunning.

My takeaway lesson from this Adventure is the best campsites are often unmarked, waiting silently to be discovered as you round the corner on a narrow dirt road over the plains or through the woods. If it looks promising to camp over yonder, it pays to check it out, as the ethereal senses are oftentimes the most reliable guide to the hidden treasures in our physical world. Great beauty is found along roads less traveled.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #483
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Como Bluffs / Bone Cabin / Carbon County, Wyoming

Others took photos of Bone Cabin which is known for the use of local Dinosaur Bone to decorate the exteriors of the buildings. After the death of the original owner, the property has fallen into disrepair. Possibly someone will post those later on this Thread.

To the north is Como Bluffs where dinosaur bones were discovered by Union Pacific Railroad employees after 1867. The ranch to the north of Como Bluffs was owned by the clerk who found and sold bones under an alias. The site can also be driven to, but is on a private ranch who... discourages people from walking around.

Everyone fit onto the parking lot. As the trip progressed, members would drop off to seek further adventures...

(70% of Wyoming is Wind and the other 30% are Mountains)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4674.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	269968  
Old 08-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #484
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Medicine Bow, Wyoming: The Virginian Hotel

Traveling further west on US30 out of Laramie, Wyoming and not far from Bone Cabin is the Virginian Hotel. Author Owen Wister is associated with the town and the hotel writing The Virginian.

Considered haunted... if you hang around the original Bar too long. Several members had a beer and purchased shot glasses for... fresh water, no doubt.

The hotel is a meeting place for the Lincoln Highway celebrations, which doubles the population and traffic of many vintage automobiles. Too bad we were not there to celebrate. When I met the original owner in the early 1970's, he had two floor model antique slot machines in a shed. He wanted a coin operated player piano for these early 1900's slot machines. I had no player piano and do not know what happened to these two valuable slot machines. Had the wind blown too hard... the shed would have been in Nebraska...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4678.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	269970  
Old 08-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #485
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Beaver Rim / Beaver Divide, Wyoming (near Lander/Riverton)

The 70% of Wyoming which is wind was concentrated at this campsite. We all fit onto the Rim and the wind started up that afternoon and increased during the evening and the next morning.

One member left the group that morning. A knock on my trailer's door was thought to be our Blue Heelers wanting to return into the trailer. I got out of bed and when opening the door was a group of members... looking at me standing in the doorway in my underwear, not wearing a hat. I excused myself, put on a pair of pants and discovered that one member was leaving the group due to 'dog issues' which I was totally caught off guard... and under dressed for the occasion.

After the member thanked me for the opportunity, they were able to use the detailed map and itinerary to visit these same spots in the comfort of their own trailer. We all departed with no hard feelings, although next time I suspect anything at our trailer's door... I will be better prepared.

This was one of two early morning incidents where I was literally caught with my 'pants down', but the second time I had my western hat on my head.

The road you see was the Rock Springs to Lander Stage route.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4682.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	269972  
Old 08-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #486
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Sawmill Creek: west of Lander, Wyoming

No wind. No rain. No Forest Fire. Our favorite camping spot up to this point. No cost. Sawmill creek runs clear and if you have a dog or two... toss them in with the kids. No fish as the creek is rather narrow and shallow.

West of Lander and along the Popo Agie River, the Sinks, the large trout fishing hole when the river emerges from its underground route and at least three days can be spent in this area without becoming bored. More if you want to Base Camp this fantastic Off the Grid location.

Lots of switchbacks to gain elevation. You will see the campsite behind the #1 Wyoming fan on the Sherman Granite of Wyoming. Almost three billion years old. The granite... not the #1 Wyoming fan.

A group of members tried to locate a large log cabin used when there was lumber being removed from the area. Nancy and I saw what we saw and we are confident that you may see, what we saw, when we had found it ourselves... and you can quote that.

Climbing the granite for the adventurous. Exploring the number of lakes in the area. The Sinks has a nice rest area and facilities. You can actually follow the trail down to where the Popo Agie actually disappears underground into a limestone formation. It reappears as a Trout Pool further down the canyon.

Pocket some dog chow as the Trout will eat whatever you are willing to toss their way. Kids will be thrilled in the 6 to 80 year old bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4727.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	269989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4735.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	269990  

Name:	DSCN4721.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	269991   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4703.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	269992  

Old 08-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #487
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Double Cabin: north of DuBois, Wyoming

Double Cabin has had its share of Forest Fires. The latest from lightning and has scarred the entire valley. It is unfortunate that such a beautiful place will take fifty years to renew and lay flat the dead timber in the Wilderness area.

Frontier Creek and Emerald Creek flowing to become Wiggins Fork was running shallow this time. No action shots of members falling into a torrent and getting a cold bath in the process. Some times one cannot predict what to expect.

The campsite was large and the pit toilet clean and stocked with better toilet paper than discussed on several threads on this Forum. All at no cost. The toilet paper was so good that it was pad locked onto a multiple roll shaft on the concrete wall. Now... that is worth trying if you are in this area.

The first day was partly sunny. Everyone wanted to see Double Cabin, of which... there is only one log cabin, a saddle shed with no roof, a storage shed and an outhouse lacking the comforts of the campsite. Somehow the 'double' should be Single Cabin with an Outhouse... my new name for the site.

The rain began that afternoon. It was cold, wet and continued to rain. A group of Vigilantes gathered in front of my Airstream, this time I had clothes on and a western hat... we voted to attach trailers and since Thalweg and MasTierra managed to get up the first half mile... it was a 'let's get out of here before we have no choice! Everyone with 4x4 and 4x2 pulling trailers and 47WeeWind tossing mud with his camper truck. We left with pounds of mud attached to the exteriors of our tow vehicles and trailers.

This 'mud' became concrete by the time we went through Jackson, Wyoming. There could be a fortune made with the Single Cabin and an Out House mud...

The Vigilantes were photographed before the uprising in this one... rare photo.

Overall the experience at Double Cabin... sucked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4737.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	674.1 KB
ID:	270002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4743.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	270006  

Name:	DSCN4744.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	270007   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4740.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	270008  

Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #488
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Woman Bicycle Biker jumps Sawmill Creek....

A very rare photo of a Woman Bicycle Biker on Unifreck's fat tire lithium peddle option... whatchama bike. Unifreck had an Interstate full of electronic gizmos and magical devices that I can not describe... as they are so... well magical to me.

The WBB is actually Nancy wearing a crash helmet and attempting to jump Sawmill Creek when the opportunity presents itself.

The opportunity did not present itself... this time.

Everyone who wanted to test the Lithium Battery and people peddler went much faster than needed. I found this combination of tires, lithium battery and a more than bumpy road a test of my... well, you could hurt yourself if not careful.

Thank you Ed and Jan. We liked your toy box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4718.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	270019  
Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #489
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Grey's River: southeast of Alpine, Wyoming

This river is being renamed Gearheart River. With his own tied flies and a fly rod, treated the entire camp to a Trout Fry. After that... he went back and hauled in his trophy 12" or better from the same section of Gearheart's River.

Laura fried the trout. We did not eat them raw, although our two Blue Heelers would have like to eat what was not fired...raw or not. When your trout are fried in less than two hours after catching them... that is almost like eating them raw.

Uneventful. No Vigilante activity reported. One photo of the camp site we used prior to getting to Sheep Creek... our last chance if every site was taken. They were not and neither was Sheep Creek. Almost a nice river campsite along the road at your choice.

Since this site was uneventful, no one defected at night or early morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4746 (1).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	586.2 KB
ID:	270025  
Old 08-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #490
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Oregon Butte: Between Lander and Farson, Wyoming

Our campsite was on the rim, looking west towards the Oregon, Mormon, California, Lander Cutoff, Pony Express and possibly other trails unknown. A modern highway was six miles to the west, but it did not count as something to take notice.

Considering Oregon Buttes was several miles to the southeast of the ridge where we were camped... the remaining four, maybe five, living members had no clue where they were on the trail map. I kept pointing Go East Young Man... and only received silence among the remaining Unifreck, VeeVee, Nvestysly, 47WeeWind and yours truly.

Oregon Butte and Pacific Butte were totally ignored and I could have pointed at an ant hill as Oregon Buttes and there would have been no argument. I suspect it was the liberal sharing of the last full bottle of beer among members and dogs, alike.

Dogs do not like IPA beer as it is bitter... we learned. Unifreck's dog, Jack Rabbit, was thankful that VeeVee carried a plastic bag of chicken parts and pieces as dog treats.

Jan aka Unifreck let me do some dog juggling with Jack Rabbit and converted his obnoxious behavior into that of a Blue Heeler. Now... Jan. You better not let Jack Rabbit go back to those bad California habits. You know what to do. It worked well with Ed, so keep at it.

True Off the Grid survivors of Vigilante groups, one of two Up and Overs of the Lander Cutoff and avoided contact with two camps with full timers in the area. Other, less adaptable members due to being from Florida or other exotic locations of the USA or Canada snuck out when opportunity presented itself from the Mud Slinging at Single Cabinet with an Out House.

If anyone were to sum this entire adventure up in one word...

I can't. I cannot summarize, categorize, edit well or do anything in less than a paragraph or... a half page. Not my style. But with facial hair, slicked down hair and everyone sitting upwind from one another... the last four are the Last of the Mohicans on this Adventure and lived to tell you about what might have or could have happened behind the scenes... at Oregon Butte.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4751.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	270030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4752.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	270031  

Old 08-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Thanking the Map Makers....

Tmcguffy and Thalweg did everyone a service putting maps together.

Some did not need 'no stinking maps'. They never finished the trip either. With the dust and mud... and dog vomit by Lily on Lily&me's detailed directions, it was a miracle all found their way around.

All remain memories, some of which, I will consider treatment for in the near future.

With an original 21 signed up before being closed to those most likely to have completed this venture into the unknown... FIVE survived. Some found Jackson rough enough to explore and others... who knows what kind of tall fish stories will come from total fiction of MasTierra and those heading to the blank spaces on a map of western North Dakota and the over populated Black Hills.

We all should share our stories, even if you have to make it up. No one on this Forum would know the difference and I truly believe that Wyoming is better off today with our hard earned cash and our sucking, mostly dust, maybe some mud, for two weeks as a thank you. You would have lost your money from the holes in your own pockets in time, anyway.

So off we will all go into the recorded history of this Forum and if you remain silent... you will also remain unknown and lack any linguistic skills of combining nouns, verbs and adjectives into one complete sentence.

Ignorance and poor grammar are common skills, now taught at all colleges and university staff, today.

So from Prison to... well lacking the view of Oregon Butte... we were pioneers and Parted Ways along the Oregon Trail. Some of us followed the directions of the Donner party with an appetite for adventure, and others the maps of Tom and Brent. God bless their souls where ever they are hiding. The Vigilantes of this group are looking for you.... Single Cabin and Out House was a farce.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #492
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
sssshhhhh.....

What happens at Oregon Buttes stays at Oregon Buttes!

We may not have ventured to the "Buttes" but we did find some interesting 4WD trails near our campsite

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1472227060.348518.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	270050
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #493
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Rock Docking Thank You

We’re home. While we were enjoying cold nights and thunderstorms on Wyoming’s Roof-of-the-Continent, our home was extra hot and dry. We came home to a dried up landscape, our native Oregon Ash and Big Leaf Maples yellowing and shedding leaves. We have been struggling to catch up on chores and the Phoenix sits outside unwashed but not unloved.

A big thank you Ray and Nancy for organizing this Wyoming adventure. The country we visited was everything we imagined, the company exceptional. We had a great time and hope to meet our co-travelers in the future.

Ray deserves a nomination for Cat Herder of the Year. We were 11 strong at the Wyoming Territorial Prison, a manageable number of people and truck/trailers. The planned group size of 20 would have been unwieldy. As Ray mentioned, folks spun off to their own destinations, like space probes whirling around one planet to reach another. We too felt the pull and at the west-most point we achieved escape velocity, rocketing West back via the Pahsimeroi Valley and the Sawtooth Range of Idaho followed by the Blue Mountains of East Oregon.

We learned a few things. We popped our first rivits. The F350 was rock solid under all conditions. The refrigerator door kept opening and dumping contents. When you do 40 mph on gravel, the trailer is completely enveloped in dust, but the pick up’s ride is smoother.

Figgy misses the rockdocking routine and her canine friends. She recognized the bumps and squiggles of our final mile, became excited, literally jumped out the door, made a quick circle of the yard and house, but when we opened the trailer door where did she go? To her trailer watch-dog station. We watched her thru the kitchen window as she watched us thru the trailer door. It was like, “OK, house and yard still here, now let’s get going!! What are you doing in there, c’mon.”

Hoping we see you all down the road.

Dave, Susan, and Figgy

Photos of each rockdocking day coming in future posts. Here’s a couple from the trip home:

Finger Dusting:

Hey, How Come I Don’t Get to go to the Burger Joint?

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #494
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
You cannot imagine how much I am enjoying reading about your adventures. We were part of the "original 20", but life got in the way and I had to have a new hip instead. So I am one week post op and ready for an adventure of my own! Even though we've never met, I feel like I know most of you.
...and so it goes...!
Paula

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:03 AM   #495
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Thanks for taking us along! Enjoyed the photos.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #496
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
I second that, avionstream - enjoyed following this thread, and appreciate Ray's way with words and stories. Kudos to all the brave adventurers who ventured into beautiful Wyoming, which Ray aptly describes as being 70% composed of wind. Traveling there myself today, but unfortunately to a funeral rather than an AS adventure.

Enjoyed tagging along...
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #497
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
TWO Women are Masters of Boondock 'Backing Uppers'

I have heard of deceased husbands, leaving this world, somehow, at a too young of age, making comment that 'Women belong in the Kitchen and not behind the steering wheel of a tow vehicle with Airstream attached'.

Since my life is simple on these Boondocking adventures, it leaves me with time to watch and study various personalities and skills of individuals backing up their trailers. Also those who have found others with similar interests and pleasing personalities to make some future... RV Park trips together, as well.

As I have said and repeated many times to the hearing impaired, as myself... I am not a Tour Guide but a Facilitator of Boondocking. I point and say what is in that general direction... you need to find it. I have already been there once or maybe three times and it is up to you for your own entertainment and refreshments.

YOU are MY entertainment.

It does NOT give me goose bumps to see the five legged, two headed cow in western Kansas a fifth time. That is where the giant Prairie Dog made of concrete is located, as well. Although the original concrete giant prairie dog must have fallen over and replaced with one not as 'handsome'. (Between Hays, Kansas and Wakeeney, Kansas.)

Just follow me a minute so I can get to the purpose of this post. Well, even the purpose of this Thread, which is also beyond my simple expectations of nothing and finding a rock in a sand pit in the desert.

When anyone can back up a tow vehicle with an Airstream Trailer attached, that helps if it IS still attached... I am impressed. This group was especially keen on backing up... well, nearly everyone but we all did back up at one time or another.

VeeVee (Jan) and BurnsideBob (Susan) were on the top of the scale from 1 to 100. Obviously both are Farm Gals... one for sure, the other easily could be found rowing hay in a large field of dried cut hay for fun.

Having their names mentioned on this Forum will, of course, intimidate the rest of you, who prefer the drive in and out camping spots. That is OK with me. It keeps all of our insurance rates lower than we would expect.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #498
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hey guys, We bailed after Greys river because Laura wanted to take me into Yellowstone. We unhitched at the RV park in Alpine and went touring on Sunday AM. We saw the smoke from the fire that closed the south entrance the next day. Good timing EH? We drove all the way up to Mammoth hot springs where we saw 6 elk on the lawn in front of the hotel placidly lying on the grass and chewing their cud. The boss bull of the group had a rack on him as big as a 4-2 smart car. A return trip to Wyoming is definitely in the cards. Thanks Ray and Nancy for a great time. We did laundry on Monday and then headed east, stopping in Laramie to see Thea and in Cheyenne to get a replacement tire. We just got home today around 6 PM. A torrential downpour of rain between Benton Harbor Michigan and the Canadian border washed all of the accumulated Double Cabin mud off of the truck and trailer. The rig sits in the drive cleaner than it was when I left here 3 weeks ago.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #499
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Gearheart, glad to hear you made it home, had good fishing luck at Grey’s River, and finished with a clean rig. No rain here so mine’s still dirty!!

Here’s a few photos from the meet up day and the first travel day. Some of us arrived in time to take the 11AM prison tour.

Day 0—Meet Up at the Wyoming Territorial Prison parking lot.

11AM Tour Group.

Our group at the Prison parking Lot. Gearheart hasn’t pulled in yet.

University of Wyoming museum some of us visited after the prison tour.

Day 1—Wyoming Territorial Prison to Beaver Rim

A stop at the “Bone Cabin”.

Virginian Motel Bar—nvestysly reinforcing himself for the drive.

On the road to Rawlins.

Turning from pavement to adventure, Beaver Rim

Socializing on the Rim.

Social hour.

Going, going, going. . . .

Gearheart warming up the Beaver Rim crowd.

More to follow.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #500
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Burnside Bob,

Excellent pictures and captions! Look forward to seeing more.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote