Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Maggie and Lily

We haven't heard yet from quite everyone who did the New Mexico trip. I also think Ray was not as fixed on limiting to 10 as he was initially, but I will have to check with him.

Maggie

Old 10-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 Wyoming

Nancy and I have been in the Mohave Desert of Southern Nevada and Northwest Arizona, getting toughened up for the Colorado winter that is on its way. Also the Tucson, AZ Rock show coming in February 2016.

If anyone can handle 110F daily highs and lows in the upper 80's and low 90's.... even the humidity and heat of the Midwest during the Summer can be tamed.. toughest weather for Off the Grid Airstream camping. I am sorry I could not make the Mid Missouri Fall Boondocks Rally... My hats are too current.

You do sweat in this so called "dry heat". Water in... Sweat out.

I have had a number of emails concerned about Wyoming 2016 and that the State fell off the map. Wyoming is still there. Anyone from newbie to expert will learn something about themselves and their trailer or... tent... or whatever comfort level you are seeking.

Since these Wyoming off the grid camp sites have more space than the New Mexico location... there is more space available at these Wyoming sites. Nobody will be asked not to come. Although anyone can leave at any time to continue "their" camping trip. There is no cost to anyone, other than your own expenses. Contact information is so you know when, what and where.

This true adventure will happen, even if it is myself, Nancy and our two Blue Heelers. The last two years have had a surplus of precipitation that brings the insects and mud. One attacks those camping, the other attacks their trailer without any regard to condition or age. A "dry August" will be something to look forward, as the Spring in the high country have been WET.

Today, October 4th, a dusting of SNOW on the mountains to the south of I-70 in Utah, in the Richfield/Salina, Utah area! Daytime temperatures in the ... low 50's while driving past. No snow in Colorado high country, dry pavement on I-70.

I have been updated as to those interested. There are many Boondocking Threads on this Forum concerning Off the Grid camping. Check them out. Your questions will be answered if you ask a few questions, maybe appearing "newbie"... but it is among the newbies that the Forum thrives to serve. The well experienced are eager to help and learn more from your questions, forced to recall some information long forgotten.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Taos , New Mexico
Hey Ray - good to hear from you here again! We traveled some of the same roads last week thru Utah (hwy. 50 and I-70) and it was still warm then, had been 99 in Moab just last Monday, day before we stopped at Horse Thief CG for a night on our way home. Fall has arrived in the southern Rockies as of this weekend, but we had a 28 degree morning in Ketchum more than two weeks ago. I'd forgotten how to dress for frosty mornings!

Cheers!
Chris
Old 10-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
To clarify for anyone just looking at this thread, this event is scheduled for next August....2016.

We are set to meet in Laramie, WY, on August 14th, 2016.

Anyone interested, chime in, and send me a pm with your full names, private email and cell phone number.

Maggie
Old 10-04-2015, 11:45 PM   #19
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Confirmed at this time:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Marshall
Maggie and Lily

Maggie
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 Wyoming- August 14, 2016

When: August 14th, 2016
Where: Laramie, Wyoming Territorial Prison parking lot
Why: Only you know why you would want to attend

This will be a Wyoming ONLY adventure. A May/June 2016 Black Hills and Western Nebraska adventure is also coming and covering South Dakota and Nebraska found under Boondocking.

There is so much ground to cover that the Wyoming Adventure will be mostly the NW quarter of the State of Wyoming. Since I prefer to stay a day or more at each site we visit, there will be plenty of time to bicycle, inner tube float, hike, fish, rock hunt, lay back and sip beverages or just find time to forget the civilized world and read a good book.

August is usually a dry time of the year. Warm days and Cool evenings. Low humidity. The biting insects have had their day in the Spring and we wish them all well. The trout are biting about anything that looks appealing, since the hatches are long over. The local tackle shop can sell you a couple current flies for several dollars each.

As time permits, I will try to list some items that are necessary for this trip. Some sites offer well water. Some will have Forest Service restrooms. Some will have... absolutely nothing other than what nature has provided: fresh air, forest and mountains as far as you can see.

This is intended for the experienced to help the newbie Off the Grid trailer or tent camper get acquainted with smart away from civilization campsites. Yes, there will be bear, moose, elk, deer, mountain sheep, cattle, horses and smaller furry creatures. None will present an issue, IF you practice keeping your campsite clean and eatables stowed away.

There is no limit to those wanting to show up, stay or depart when their days on the road are limited. Almost like a Wyoming Buffet, but you chose what part of the menu is enough. I understand most of us do have to return home at some time. No problem.

The Adventure begins in the parking lot of the Wyoming State Territorial Prison that is open for tours. It is now a tourist attraction and Laramie, Wyoming is the home of the University of Wyoming. Get there early and visit the wonderful Geology Museum on Campus. The Museum is free and has their own dinosaur from Como Bluffs, Wyoming. We might have the option to actually get close to the Wyoming Dinosaur graveyard near Medicine Bow, Wyoming... but weather and time permitting. We will stop at the Virginian Hotel and stop for Breakfast or Lunch to prepare for the real journey to come.

I find that many from the 2015 New Mexico Adventure to the Gila Wilderness are willing to experience a much more challenging list of sites to visit. Some never learn. But we all enjoyed the remoteness found where no tourist would attempt.

There is a lot of time to prepare yourself for this trip. I toss around ten days as a good number of days to prevent driving the blacktop versus exploring. Maybe 14 days for those who want to find themselves pushing further into the Oregon Trail crossings and obscure sites that are just spots on a map... but what wonderful spots they are indeed!

I expect some interested to have things come up which prevent their from coming. This is not a problem, but it is worthwhile to say you might or intend to show up so early planning can fit everyone into various stops on the way to the premier location at DuBois, Wyoming.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Morrisville , Pennsylvania
Living the Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
When: August 14th, 2016
Where: Laramie, Wyoming Territorial Prison parking lot
Why: Only you know why you would want to attend

This will be a Wyoming ONLY adventure. A May/June 2016 Black Hills and Western Nebraska adventure is also coming and covering South Dakota and Nebraska found under Boondocking.

There is so much ground to cover that the Wyoming Adventure will be mostly the NW quarter of the State of Wyoming. Since I prefer to stay a day or more at each site we visit, there will be plenty of time to bicycle, inner tube float, hike, fish, rock hunt, lay back and sip beverages or just find time to forget the civilized world and read a good book.

August is usually a dry time of the year. Warm days and Cool evenings. Low humidity. The biting insects have had their day in the Spring and we wish them all well. The trout are biting about anything that looks appealing, since the hatches are long over. The local tackle shop can sell you a couple current flies for several dollars each.

As time permits, I will try to list some items that are necessary for this trip. Some sites offer well water. Some will have Forest Service restrooms. Some will have... absolutely nothing other than what nature has provided: fresh air, forest and mountains as far as you can see.

This is intended for the experienced to help the newbie Off the Grid trailer or tent camper get acquainted with smart away from civilization campsites. Yes, there will be bear, moose, elk, deer, mountain sheep, cattle, horses and smaller furry creatures. None will present an issue, IF you practice keeping your campsite clean and eatables stowed away.

There is no limit to those wanting to show up, stay or depart when their days on the road are limited. Almost like a Wyoming Buffet, but you chose what part of the menu is enough. I understand most of us do have to return home at some time. No problem.

The Adventure begins in the parking lot of the Wyoming State Territorial Prison that is open for tours. It is now a tourist attraction and Laramie, Wyoming is the home of the University of Wyoming. Get there early and visit the wonderful Geology Museum on Campus. The Museum is free and has their own dinosaur from Como Bluffs, Wyoming. We might have the option to actually get close to the Wyoming Dinosaur graveyard near Medicine Bow, Wyoming... but weather and time permitting. We will stop at the Virginian Hotel and stop for Breakfast or Lunch to prepare for the real journey to come.

I find that many from the 2015 New Mexico Adventure to the Gila Wilderness are willing to experience a much more challenging list of sites to visit. Some never learn. But we all enjoyed the remoteness found where no tourist would attempt.

There is a lot of time to prepare yourself for this trip. I toss around ten days as a good number of days to prevent driving the blacktop versus exploring. Maybe 14 days for those who want to find themselves pushing further into the Oregon Trail crossings and obscure sites that are just spots on a map... but what wonderful spots they are indeed!

I expect some interested to have things come up which prevent their from coming. This is not a problem, but it is worthwhile to say you might or intend to show up so early planning can fit everyone into various stops on the way to the premier location at DuBois, Wyoming.
WOW!, I don't even have an Airstream yet and I want to go! Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to join you someday.
Osprey!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 Wyoming- August 14, 2016

Speilma: WOW!, I don't even have an Airstream yet and I want to go! Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to join you someday.
Osprey!

Why wait? You provide the tent, which provides more than enough protection from the elements. You might even discover the length and vintage of Airstream or SOB that fits your needs.

Before a trailer, we had a tent, two folding chairs, propane cylinder cooking appliance, flashlight and whatever else you might fit into your vehicle. Traveling light gets you ready for the trailer experience.

I would rather have a tent on this trip than not go at all, myself. The tent cools down faster at night and warms up faster at sunrise than a trailer.

We would be happy to find you among the group. Camping sans trailer is really "Living the Life", not the other way around.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Human Bean,
That is a great idea! as long as you don't mind me joining your adventure as a tent camper. As I get older I want to continue enjoying the outdoors and sleeping on the ground is getting tougher on me. I was thinking an Airstream would give me little more comfort while still enjoying the outdoors. I will need to check my next year summer vacation plans. Thanks for invite keep you posted
Old 10-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Aluminum or Canvas... no matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielma View Post
Human Bean,
That is a great idea! as long as you don't mind me joining your adventure as a tent camper. As I get older I want to continue enjoying the outdoors and sleeping on the ground is getting tougher on me. I was thinking an Airstream would give me little more comfort while still enjoying the outdoors. I will need to check my next year summer vacation plans. Thanks for invite keep you posted
If it rains, you can find room in our trailer or under our awning... if you have a tent you can pick up and move when you are looking for a dry spot. Our awning is meant to keep a dry zone for our Blue Heelers.

Of course if you are sleeping in the trailer during a storm, the Heelers like to lick their victims until they decide to leave and camp outside.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
If it rains, you can find room in our trailer or under our awning... if you have a tent you can pick up and move when you are looking for a dry spot. Our awning is meant to keep a dry zone for our Blue Heelers.

I'm not sure what you mean, and what are Blue Heelers?
Old 10-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Blue Heelers are just like Red Heelers except a different color

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...sigt=10bfe1o0u
Old 10-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella