Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #361
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Open Fire Cooking Anyone??

I'm interested in open fire cooking. I'm a novice but have access to some interesting woods and herbs. I'm just beginning to experiment and am hoping you all are cooking fire experts.

So, if anyone is interested, I can bring fruitwoods--apple, pear, cherry, plum plus herbs. Maybe at double cabin we could experiment plus those of you with the cast iron can break it out!!?

I've noticed tending the fire takes time, and provides a great interlude for conversation and careful beverage quality assessment.

Here's some photos from the Burnside Bob Self Taught School of Hobo Cookery to pique your interest:

Notice the ultra quality hobo cook gear--metal fence post and piece of expanded metal. NOT available at Nordies or Williams Sonoma.

Twigs of green oregano provide smoke. If dried the herb sticks are soaked in water first, but these were green from the garden.
[/url]

Finished product.

Bundles of oregano hung to dry.

Oregano doesn't seem to be used much, but I have a lot of it, and last night's results were tasty. More frequently used are Tarragon, Lemon Thyme, and Rosemary, with basil used less frequently. I may have enough Rosemary, Thai Basil, and Italian Basil to flavor a fire, but Oregano is the herb I have a lot of.

If you fellow Wyoming Boondockers are interested I'll throw more fruit wood and herbs into the truck. And you can always bring your local specialty--Hickory, Pecan, ????

Here's smoke in your eye!! (Herb smoke reputedly good insect repellant)

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #362
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That looks interesting, Bob!

I don't know what kind of access we will have to fire pits, but I do know that a number of us are rather avid fire cookers and carry some basic equipment with us.

One of the best and most avid isn't able to come, but we will muddle thru without him.

We'll have to see what we can come up with.

Maggie
Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #363
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Most of Wyoming is currently under fire restrictions as fire conditions are extreme. I'm not sure about Fremont County or Shoshone National Forest, but I suspect that fires will only be allowed in designated campground fire rings. You may need to improvise.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #364
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Most of Wyoming is currently under fire restrictions as fire conditions are extreme. I'm not sure about Fremont County or Shoshone National Forest, but I suspect that fires will only be allowed in designated campground fire rings. You may need to improvise.
Drat!! If that don't rain on my BBQ.

If fires are still permitted in official campgrounds, perhaps we can get a site in the Double Cabin campground?

Thanks for the heads up Thalweg, I'll check fire weather prior to loading the truck. More room for rocks, I suppose.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #365
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
So, if anyone is interested, I can bring fruitwoods--apple, pear, cherry, plum plus herbs.
Never, ever transport firewood from one area to another!! There is always a chance it will spread a pest or disease,
Old 07-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #366
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
Drat!! If that don't rain on my BBQ.

If fires are still permitted in official campgrounds, perhaps we can get a site in the Double Cabin campground?

Thanks for the heads up Thalweg, I'll check fire weather prior to loading the truck. More room for rocks, I suppose.
Check here before you head out. Currently, it doesn't look like Shoshone NF has any restrictions. But that could change in the next month.
http://www.wy.blm.gov/wy_fire_restrictions/

It looks like things may not as bad in other parts of the state as I previously said. We're having fires pop up nearly every day in our neck of the woods. But apparently other areas may be better off. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #367
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
santa fe , New Mexico
Map Correction

I made a typo on the Map Titled "Hwy 189 to Granite Creek Road". The waypoint for the Granite Creek Road turnoff should be 43.2830, -110.5332. See you soon.

Tom
tmcguffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #368
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Never, ever transport firewood from one area to another!! There is always a chance it will spread a pest or disease,
Good observation. Many national park camp grounds and national forests have rules against bringing in firewood from other areas. They usually sell it at the camp stores or at the camp host station.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #369
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
What about fire on a raised steel platform a la dutch oven work bench?
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #370
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
What about fire on a raised steel platform a la dutch oven work bench?
For the most part, every jurisdiction, whether it be the county or the land management agency, sets the fire standards according to the severity of the hazard. Sometimes it isn't too big of an inconvenience. However, a few years ago, they were very restrictive. As I recall, you couldn't even use a propane stove outside, except in designated campsites. I think they even banned smoking outdoors in some of the forests. It shouldn't be that bad this year. We got good spring moisture, but it's been pretty dry in most of the state for the last month or so. In most years, if they were going to have highly restrictive fire standards, we'd already be in them by mid July. That's not the case right now. So, I'd bet there will be fire restrictions everywhere the Wyoming Adventure is going, but it may not be too bad.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #371
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Double Cabin and other places out in nowhere...

Good News... and then again, Good News.

There is an established campground at Double Cabin with fire pits. This is the Good News.

You cannot pull an Airstream into it as it was designed for tent campers back when tent camping was the best one could do.

The other Good News is that there are well used fire pits where we will be camped. Some times the outfitters will invite everyone over to their camp and socialize with everyone after a long excursion between Double Cabin to the Tetons or Yellowstone. Always an interesting bunch. You will know how many weeks they were out as your nose will sense it in the air...

The Camp Host is camped, usually, on the LEFT side as you enter this large open area.

There are several dumpsters for the Camp Site where you pay. There is water available in the same area. If I use either, I stick $5/$10 in an envelope to thank them for the service. We are outside the pay area, although I am always generous to support the site's wonderful amenities.

There is a modern Pit House for his and her restrooms at the site we will be parked. Concrete with the large vent which makes it a good option to your trailer.

There are Bear in this area and other large and small furry mammals. Watch for posted signs/notices on the Pit House and some trees if there is a Problem Bear in the area. Often it is just a reminder not to do stupid things to attract hungry carnivores. You, your pet and your neighbor depend on your smart Off the Grid camping routines.

Nancy and/or I do carry a side arms when on the hiking trails. A sturdy walking stick is a very good option if you are fire arm sensitive. You need to protect yourself, if ever necessary. There are NO employed people at any of these sites to protect you. It is a 'you are on your own' camping trip.

Considering this area is clear of most pine at the campsite, the Camp Host will be the first to inquire about campfires. Even though you see others with a fire... it does not mean they asked or know any more than you. There are regular Forest Service vehicles that get a count on how many campers are in the area and can be asked about anything, unusual... going on in the area.

At this area if there are pack horses and mules, you will have to restrain your dogs. Otherwise, our experience is like other Off the Grid sites and just keep your dogs under some form of control. The other sites are totally Off the Grid and the people must be restrained and let their dogs run loose.

If you want to watch a horse or mule discourage a dog nipping at its hind quarters... measure the distance in tens of feet or more before 'fido' lands on a firm ground. These are not the mares that accept anything from anyone at a tourist pony ride at a Dude Ranch.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #372
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Good News... and then again, Good News.

There is an established campground at Double Cabin with fire pits. This is the Good News.

Well that is Good News!! Ray, thanks for providing the details on Double Cabin's amenities.

Thanks Wayne&Sam for your blunt precaution about firewood transport. I wasn't thinking this was an issue as my area is not a known infestation site for any of the wood pests used to justify the firewood import restriction.

I may bring a pellet fired BBQ instead of wood. The fire box is fully contained so not an open flame device like a propane or white gas cook stove.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #373
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
A wildfire was reported just west of Dubois yesterday (between Dubois and Teton National Park). It's only about 400 acres so far, but we're getting smoke in Buffalo from it.

Here is the incident summary:
Lava Mountain Fire is burning northwest of Dubois on the Wind River Ranger District of the Shoshone National Forest and is active in thick timber. Yesterday, with increased temperatures and wind, we saw more active fire behavior causing short fire runs and single and group tree torching. Aerial resources utilized water drops and fire retardant to slow the fire growth and provide a more defensible space between the active fire and the structures. On the ground, firefighters used point zone protection tactics to increase protections along the private property in the valley. An infrared flight was conducted last night and provided a more accurate size. As of 0600, July 19th, the fire is estimated at 441 acres.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #374
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Uh-oh.

Fire near Granite Creek
Old 07-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #375
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
santa fe , New Mexico
Double Cabin

I had breakfast this week with a friend who just returned from Dubois and he fished at Double Cabin. He reported that two bears had recently been euthanized because of aggression (he didn't see any). He said that there were only two campers present; the fishing was good and the mosquitoes were terrible (he used skin so soft effectively).

I recommend bear spray over firearms.

Tom
tmcguffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #376
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lions, Tigers and Bears... oh my!

www.dailyranger.com
ranger_headlines.php?category=Dubis&page=6
October 3, 2014 Fremont County's Daily Newspaper

(2014)
-Grizzly bit man on side before being repelled by bear spray. Double Cabin area.
-Investigators believe this month's fatal bear attack north of Dubois took place where the body of Adam Stewart, 31, of Utah was found...
-The missing Utah man died last week after suffering a bear attack while working in....
-Ill mannered campers showed poor judgment and rude conduct camped...
-September 16, 2014... Did it freeze hard enough to end growing season?

-Bears can create conflicts after they have obtained food rewards. Wyoming Game and Fish continues to stress the importance of keeping attractants (food items, horse feeds, bird seed, and others) unavailable to bears.

Double Cabin Campground has 14 units, $15 per night. Maximum Spur is 32 feet. 8,053 feet elevation. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/shosh...a/?recid=36447 (This is the campground, not our Base Camp site.)

-Double Cabin Campground... is open

-Newton Creek Campground is closed due to Grizzly Bear activity.

-Crazy Creek Campground... Grizzly bear activity, hard sided camping only...

-Newton Creek Campground... Grizzly bear activity, no tents or pop up campers.

-Threemile Campground... Grizzly bear activity, no tents or pop up campers.

-Eagle Creek Campground... Bear boxes available.

Wind River Ranger District office is located at 1403 West Ramshorn in Dubois, Wyoming. Telephone Shoshone National Forest office 307-527-6241

-The Shoshone National Forest is home to both Grizzly and Black Bear. Please Educate yourself about bears and the special precautions necessary when recreating in bear country.

All food and attractants, pop, beer, canned goods, toothpaste, lip balm, game meat, garbage, dog food, livestock feed, etc. need to be suspended at least 10 feet high and 4 feet from a post or tree or stored inside a vehicle, bear-resistant container, or hard-sided trailer. Please contact the nearest ranger district office for more information.

The above is for those who dream of meeting a Wyoming Bear on this Adventure.

Think before being critical of those who have spent a lot of time among the forests. Their advice could be the difference between a good experience and doing something that endangers everyone who is paying attention. And please... bring a compass.

If you search the internet, please report the bear issues for 2016 as reported on a previous post. I looked and was unable to find anything to report. Most of this information may or may not even be current... just a sprinkling of information to get you curious enough to do some research.

Wyoming is not a big Petting Zoo. There are real live furry things in the deep forest and Big Foot is not one of them.

Listen to those who are experienced on this Adventure and we will all be fine and safe. Sometimes Bear Spray can be effective, but possibly not enough for the Utah victim. Nobody practices at a Bear Spray Range to practice techniques and have the patience to wait... for that right moment, while the bear is close enough and within range of that 12 ounce+ can.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:29 AM   #377
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
If anyone gets to Laramie early and wants to come help polish a 53 FC, I live about a ten min walk from the prison... Bring your own rotary tool! Heck, skip the rally, camp on my street for a few weeks and we'll get it all sorted out fast!
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Sometimes Bear Spray can be effective, but possibly not enough for the Utah victim. Nobody practices at a Bear Spray Range to practice techniques and have the patience to wait... for that right moment, while the bear is close enough and within range of that 12 ounce+ can.
Nothing is guaranteed, but spray is statistically more effective than a gun.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #379
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Nothing is guaranteed, but spray is statistically more effective than a gun.

OK.... I will relay the message to the Game and Fish wardens.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks:

"In a study in the April 2008 edition of the Journal of Wildlife Management, Tom Smith examines "The Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska." The study shows that in 72 cases where people use bear spray to defend themselves from brown, black and polar bear the spray stopped brown bears 92 percent of the time and 98 percent of the people involved were uninjured."

fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/bears/bearSpray.html

This is a very good article concerning the use of Bear Spray. I recommend anyone on the Wyoming Adventure to read this and be prepared. The cost of a can of Bear Spray is better than having two trek poles to fight off a 400 pound Black Bear, any day!

I prefer my methods, and you choose among any others.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #380
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Well you only cited half of the equation.
http://above.nasa.gov/safety/documen...vs_bullets.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums