Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #239
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't look to be standing in the water fishing, but cheering everyone on from the shore.

My goal is just to ford that River, and make the return trip back.

Maggie

Old 05-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #240
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Ocala , Florida
Hi Ray et al on the Wyoming 2016 adventure. K and I just got back from our 2016 Big Bend Texas Birding Adventure. Wow did we have a blast (counted 238 different bird species). After 3,600 miles we are slowly becoming seasoned Air Streamers. I can now say we love this life style and are really looking forward to the Wyoming 2016 adventure. I thought I would post some things that I learned. Yep almost fell off the steep learning Airstream Curve but not quite.
1. START preparing a week before departure date
2. Start off with potable water tank full in case campsite water looks bad
3. Allow two days for refrigerator to cool WITH food inside
4. Water pump OFF when hooked up to city water (2015 International Serenity). If pump is inadvertently left on it will ignore city water source and draw from fresh water reserve
5. Lost trailer brakes after washer board road travel on I-10 through Baton Rouge. Don't panic just adjust female spade in 7 way harness to ensure good contact with male spade. Worked fine rest of trip.
6. If you find water under sink don't PANIC. Check connection between detachable faucet head and faucet hose. If loose water follows faucet hose path back under sink. Plumbers tape and tightening head corrected problem.
7. ALWAYS lower electronic awning when away from trailer. We left camp ground clear weather NO WIND. We got phone call that afternoon that there was 50-60 MPH (I am dead serious) and trailer was locked and ropes were tied to secure awning. Two other SOBs lost their awnings. I returned and we lowered it successfully. I think the cross member gas struts really helped prevent a total flyaway. The electronic awning did not sustain damage and was subject to high winds for two hours before our return.
8. Michelin 16 inch trailer tires are worth every penny. I had tread failure on (passenger rear) Good Year Wrangler 260/65 S20 E *20,000 miles* load range E..........20 miles east of Del Rio Texas. Yeah we turned around. Tire pressures were normal and only evidence was front drivers side vibration and onboard computer reading "Stabilization initializing." Visited 5 tire stores (including Good Year) no one had tire replacement. Also discovered that spare on my 2013 2500 HD GMC truck is 17 inch NOT 20 inch as the rest of the tires
9. Tire failure between Del Rio Texas and Big Bend National Park could be a real hassle because of the remoteness of the area.
10. I replaced all 4 truck tires with Michelin 20" Defenders and they held pressure perfectly for rest of trip as did the 4 Michelin trailer tires. Plan to upgrade spare tire to FULL 20 inch Michelin.
11. 400 mile days are a bit long but VERY doable including 45 minute lunch break.
12. 2013 2500 HD GMC diesel truck coupled with Equalizer WD hitch and a 27 International Serenity is a dream ride.
13. Keep a stash of quarters to do laundry
14. Remember a funnel and DEF if you plan to be remote
15 There is no substitute for an accurate MAP cause GPS Siri and Google Maps caN GET YOU LOST.

So Ray I should be in better shape when I hook up with you in August. Tell you neighbor I got some great wildlife photos on this journey. Not sure how to share on AirForums.

Best to you and fellow Wyoming 2016 adventure seekers.
RCW

Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #241
2 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
That was nice of them!

One of our group is also an MD, as I recall.

Maggie

Still trying to figure out this Forum but yes there will be a doctor type on Wyoming Adventure. I travel with a kit and instruments. Will be able to suture lacerations, remove foreign bodies from eyes, pull teeth (just kidding) and cut down on snake bites (hope not)!! BTW my son took the Wilderness Medicine Course in Lander Wyoming some years back.
Ray you can be my assistant👻Lol
Old 05-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #242
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am CPR certified, but will have no major medical emergencies on this trip.

Tho good to know we are prepared.

Maggie
Old 05-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Tierra View Post
and cut down on snake bites l
I am an EMT Basic.

While a "snake bite kit" with a blade and suction was standard back country issue some time back, from what I have heard it is no longer Basic scope of practice. Another no no is a tourniquet. Maybe wilderness medicine has a different protocol.
https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=u...+bite+you+tube
Old 05-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #244
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Billings , Montana
Hi guys!
Is the next adventure full? We are in Bozeman and my hubby is a PA to add to the medical team :-)
This looks like FUN!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #245
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This gathering is full, possibly some already on a wait list, but Ray would know for sure.

He is doing something similar again next year, so stay tuned.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #246
2 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I am an EMT Basic.

While a "snake bite kit" with a blade and suction was standard back country issue some time back, from what I have heard it is no longer Basic scope of practice. Another no no is a tourniquet. Maybe wilderness medicine has a different protocol.
https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=u...+bite+you+tube

Lumatic, I was just kidding about snakebite Rx and teeth pulling. We may be remote on this adventure but anti venom is never too far away. I think a sprained ankle or minor laceration more likely than actual venomous snake bite.
RCW
Old 05-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #247
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Tierra View Post
Lumatic, I was just kidding about snakebite Rx and teeth pulling. We may be remote on this adventure but anti venom is never too far away. I think a sprained ankle or minor laceration more likely than actual venomous snake bite.
RCW
I apologize for the digression, but this is not entirely accurate in Wyoming. Not every hospital around here has anti venom on hand. I frequently work several hours from the nearest civilization. In the event of snake bite, we're trained to contact emergency services prior to heading to a hospital, either by cell phone or radio. They may send you to a hospital a long way in a less than obvious direction. Otherwise, you might go to one hospital, only to have them ship you off to another.

Wyoming can be remote.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #248
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Toilet Paper and Rattlesnakes... have their uses

I would be more concerned with toilet paper issues and bringing a fly swatter to defend yourself when near water than a Rattlesnake attack.

While at Beaver Divide I will give some advice on how to prepare yourself so not to disturb any rattlesnakes, which I rarely encounter after hiking as many miles as anyone. I have come across more rattlesnakes on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and hunting agates in New Mexico. More 'bull snakes' in Wyoming brushy prairie and one Rattlesnake fishing Horse Creek north of Cheyenne, Wyoming in 50 years. Northwestern Nebraska is great for observing small Prairie Rattlesnakes, that can be gently moved away from the campsite with your hiking stick and sent on their way. They sound like a cricket compared to TEXAS Rattlesnakes that can be used for jump ropes.

Be aware that rattlesnakes and bull snakes will get your attention and the rattling is just to let YOU KNOW that they, either snake, wants you to leave them alone. They are afraid of YOU stepping on them. The 'bull snake' will give you goose bumps and appears more dangerous than a Rattlesnake, although they look similar, one has fangs and the other will appear to be MORE aggressive.

Your dogs are on their own. Our Blue Heelers tend to jump up and backwards at any sign of a snake! There are 'dry and wet' bites. You are no different than a cow or horse to a snake. Avoid stepping on them or intentionally bothering them, which none of us are eager to do.

But... bring a walking stick. Your first line of defense when out on your own.

If unsure about snakes. Go onto the Internet and get into your comfort zone. Avoid any Westerns on television for bad advice.

Snake juggling will be prohibited on this Adventure.

You are just as likely to be bitten by a Rabid Bat than a Rattlesnake. Get some snake advice on the Internet and avoid sticking your hands in holes and bushes to find one....

Women are more likely to be bitten by a Rattlesnake than men. Women just cannot leave a snake alone minding their own business.... Both are cold blooded and must lay in the warm morning sun before becoming active.

Just kidding.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #249
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I spend crazy amounts of time walking around or riding ATV's out in the boonies of Wyoming, and I probably average two rattlesnake spottings per year. I don't worry about them much at all. They just want to be left alone, and I try to oblige. If they see/hear/smell you coming, they'll try to get out of the way. If you get too close, they'll rattle, telling you to get away. Some dogs will try to challenge them. That's probably the biggest risk. Bull snakes will get your heart pumping more often. I frequently nearly step on them. At first glance, they look very much like rattlesnakes. They give no warning, are often bigger, and there are a lot more of them. They rarely bite, but they'll get the adrenaline up.

I find the greatest hazard to my health are the grouse. You'll be walking along in the sagebrush, minding you own business, then one foot away, and big-ol bird will jump up making a huge ruckus. Several times I've had to sit down and let my heart slow. I wish there was a self-CPR procedure, because I'm usually out there alone.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #250
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois

Maggie
Old 05-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #251
Rivet Master

"Women cannot leave a snake alone minding their own business....Both are cold blooded and must lay in the warm morning sun before becoming active."

Ray, ......OOOOOH, YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE! I hope your two blue heelers don't mind sharing their lodging space with you! Don't forget to dress warm when you head out to the doghouse tonight....it's gonna be chilly! LOL!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #252
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I would be more concerned with toilet paper issues and bringing a fly swatter to defend yourself when near water than a Rattlesnake attack.

Your dogs are on their own. Our Blue Heelers tend to jump up and backwards at any sign of a snake! There are 'dry and wet' bites. You are no different than a cow or horse to a snake. Avoid stepping on them or intentionally bothering them, which none of us are eager to do.
Rattlesnakes attack food. People are too big to be food. You have to molest a rattlesnake intentionally or unintentionally to get bit.

Dogs can be vaccinated against rattlesnake bites. My dogs are. Needs a yearly booster. Won't keep them from getting sick, but may save their life.