Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #281
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I thought that we were going to be like home on the range. I think I just heard a discouraging word. Matters not. I'm committed. I need a rattle snake rattle to put inside my mandolin. Not looking to have an encounter but there is always road kill.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug used to tell me what I really wanted was to camp in a Walt Disney movie....lakes, mountains, bears, wolves, mountain lions, elk, etc., drinking lakeside, cohabitating peacefully.

Maggie
Old 05-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #283
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Evelyn... we are trying to make room on this Adventure for you. Very hard to predict. This is going to be a real tough bunch to discourage, anyone. I am getting worried that this group could be wanted by someone for not declaring coins picked out of a wishing well, somewhere.

Maggie was led to believe that crossing the river at Double Cabin was a life or death situation... and disregarded that.

Then that Lily may not be able to swim or do a back stroke to cross, which she does either. That idea was disregarded.

Thalweg made the area's climate changes so menacing, almost discouraging myself from even attempting to cross into Wyoming.

Gearheart make rattlesnakes appear so harmless, that Thalweg and Maggie toss out the claim they are climbing out of the bushes at every turn on a hiking trail, seem trivial and wants some rattles in his mandolin.

Rock River, Wyoming... that was the best of the best, but now everyone wants to stop and count the residents, if any are to be found. I have met the Water Board member and the woman who runs the hunting business and consignment shop in town. The others are like what Thalweg said earlier on this Thread.

But... trust me. Trailers in Waiting there is more to come. If not on the Airforum... at the first meeting place in Laramie and the Territorial Prison. As far as I know, no one has ever been accidentally... locked into a cell and escaped over a weekend.

Nancy noticed that SIX of the SEVEN first survivors of the 2015 Quemado Adventure are on the Wyoming Adventure. Something tells me the new comers will be getting to meet the 'Wild Bunch' and 'Butch & Sonny', the unknown train robbers that DID rob a UPRR train near... where else... Rock River!

There are no Chiggers in Wyoming, unless you are bringing some yourself from the Midwest. Be prepared for mosquitos in some parts around Jackson, Pinedale and anyplace that has more than a bucket of water sitting. Bring a high quality Fly Swatter. You will keep count at Grey's River if we are there before the season is finished.

ColoradoLady... we will even lower the elevations for you if that helps. Thalweg knows how to make a map say whatever HE wants it to say. Say it is true, Thalweg.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #284
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
ColoradoLady... we will even lower the elevations for you if that helps. Thalweg knows how to make a map say whatever HE wants it to say. Say it is true, Thalweg.
That is absolutely true. Have you noticed that in the corner of every map of Wyoming, there is a disclaimer that says "Here be Dragons"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S_Munster1580.gif
Views:	85
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	262906  
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #285
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Yes, INDEED... Dragons are everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
That is absolutely true. Have you noticed that in the corner of every map of Wyoming, there is a disclaimer that says "Here be Dragons"?

... is this Puff the Magic Dragon? Or a Lake Trout? I might need a stronger trolling outfit on this trip.

Grey's River... not swatting Mosquitos, but several specie of Flies. One biting, known as a Horse Fly for some reason as I am not a horse, and the other just wanting to be a pest. Like, well who am I to talk?
Old 05-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hope we're going to be there after vicious-biting-flies-season.

That picture looks like one of those monster carp that have invaded the Illinois River, jumping into boats and wreaking havoc on the waterway.

Maggie
Old 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #287
Rivet Master

OK, you guys....now you REALLY HAVE ME WANTING TO JOIN IN!!!
Dragons, no chiggers, bank robbers......Thalweg's ability to lower mountains and decrease elevations....what's not to love! Have fly swatter...will travel! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:07 PM   #288
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Ray makes light of the mosquitoes. The reason NORAD moved the early warning radar to Montana is the mosquitoes in Wyoming kept scrambling the fighter jets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wyoming_windsock.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	262956  
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #289
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have a leg hold trap for mosquitoes. We grow them big in Ontario.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #290
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Ray makes light of the mosquitoes. The reason NORAD moved the early warning radar to Montana is the mosquitoes in Wyoming kept scrambling the fighter jets.

There are mosquito traps available in Laramie, Wyoming. You will need tweezers to set them and put a tiny piece of raw hamburger as bait. They are sold by packs of a dozen. Much like a mouse or rat trap, although much smaller and very lethal for gnats to mosquito sized insects.

Sometimes you will catch a Fly which really needs the Horse Fly Trap to safely tender them helpless and at least incapable of further hunting for fresh victims.

Pulling an Airstream on the East/West highways do have increasing cross winds during the late morning, early afternoons. I have never had any sway problems with our Airstreams. If you have a full water tank... even more resistant to cross winds.

What does this have to do with Mosquito and Fly traps? Nothing. At least your reading this post was not a total waste of time. I may pick up a couple packs for resale to those from lower elevations to take home.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #291
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Seriously, guys....at high altitudes are we really expecting crazy mosquito problems?

Maggie
Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #292
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Seriously, guys....at high altitudes are we really expecting crazy mosquito problems?

Maggie
Oh yea, there'll be skeeters, and horseflys. We won't be high enough to effect them. The last couple of years the mosquitoes haven't been too bad. The state and fed agencies have been working hard to control mosquito habitat because they impact sage grouse. Everyone has been making monumental efforts to keep the sage grouse from being listed on the Endangered Species List.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #293
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yippee.

Y'all make it sound so terribly appealing.

Maggie
Old 05-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #294
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Here is my personal anti-mosquito secret. Aqua Velva. Get the large size. Make sure you let everyone in your group know it is the best dang anti bug stuff you can buy west of the Pecos. Let your friends slather it on, and then establish yourself at a discreet distance.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Not to worry. I'm sure Ray has a plan to deal with the skeeters. It will probably involve sitting around a campfire with a bottle, telling stories:

"I remember back in nought-six, the skeeters were so big, they carried ol-blue out of camp and dropped him out in the crik..... "

"back in nought-four, the harse flies were so bad, I had to rassle a half ton grizz for the smokey spot just downwind of the campfare..."
Old 05-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I love campfires, so I hope we're able to have lots.

I made a couple of large, citronella-based soy candles that are pretty darned effective.

I set one just to the right of my chair, the other just to the left, and I am in a protected haze.

May make a couple of extra for this trip, and stash them away in case we need them.

Maggie
Old 05-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Not to worry. I'm sure Ray has a plan to deal with the skeeters. It will probably involve sitting around a campfire with a bottle, telling stories:

"I remember back in nought-six, the skeeters were so big, they carried ol-blue out of camp and dropped him out in the crik..... "

"back in nought-four, the harse flies were so bad, I had to rassle a half ton grizz for the smokey spot just downwind of the campfare..."
Old 05-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #298
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Even Santa has his bad side...

Thalweg... did you know that bacon grease poured around your trailer attracts 'Hungarian' Black and Grizzly Bears?

I know someone from Tucson, Arizona who will do it for me, too. He had some practice at Quemado and wondered where his door was later that afternoon.

Your stealing material out of my 'Tales of a Youngster in a Covered Aluminum Wagon 1856'.

Maggie... use the candles in your RV. When Thalweg is arm wrestling a bear, you will be inside your Interstate taking videos. Tiki Torches are worthless, as well. By sunset no one will have enough energy to stay up after digging your Interstate out of the Moose Bog.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:58 AM   #299
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
No Hungarian Bears nor Moose Bogs exist

After thinking about Post #298, it seemed rather... real.

There are no Hungarian Bear in Wyoming and a Moose Bog is total fiction, but sounds possible... is campfire talk... like we had back in seventy-four north of Jeffery City, Wyoming dry camped just on the edge of the Granite Mountains...

'Snipe hunting' in Missouri. If you had the kids involved in that to wear them down after having too much sugar in their diet after a Birthday Party. Snipe are imaginary birds to be caught in a large sack using a stick to make noise in it to attract these birds...

Before we all travel into the Back Country of DuBois and Lander, we will have a little discussion on what to expect. I have to apologize in a way, as those of us that have spent some time together Off the Grid try to come up with tales that have 'some truth, but meant to educate' and get people to think. Which, at times with knitting a yarn... I need to be more careful. Some may think I am reporting actual newspaper articles of years past.

We are fortunate that we are not camped Off the Grid, or even at a well populated campsite at or even near Yellowstone Park. There, stupidity reins king. Western Montana, Idaho and the forests of Oregon and Washington also deserve respect when camped among... those who do not understand the Forest and its inhabitants.

Bring a dependable DEET formula spray or oil to deter mosquitos. Not that they will be a problem, they can. You do not need any, unless there are mosquitos. The wetter Spring months can be an issue, but in August, not as much.

We will discuss Bear that inhabit higher elevations and lucky for us, a group of campers and dogs deter Bear from camps. The areas we will find ourselves have hunters, while at Yellowstone they have... Bear Feeders camped near the Park. Totally different environments.

At Double Cabin if there are any sightings of Black or Brown Bear, it will be posted by the Camp Host or National Forest Service. There will be obvious things you do not do, like leave a table of food out overnight. The 'tourist' errors at Yellowstone you may read about in the newspaper.

That is the mention of Bear opening car doors with windows down slightly for venting, but the doughnuts are too tempting for Bear.

We have encountered Black Bear in Idaho and Montana. Dense forests of Montana and more remote locations in Idaho. None where we are going to be camped. I do not want to alarm anyone when discussing things that go 'bump in the night', but it is intended to get your attention.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:10 AM   #300
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Are there any preventative measures that can be taken while we are in the back country, camped?

-Dump your last trash in town when we leave for the Back Country.

-When we are in wooded areas, keep food and trash in the trailer or back of tow vehicle. Never outside.

-Bacon Grease scent travels far and wide. But so does your sweat in the meadows.

-Campfire smoke will deter insects as good as anything you can purchase.

-Carrying a side arm while hiking in the wooded areas is a good idea. The noise of firing one round into the air will deter a Black Bear if you feel threatened. You need not need a side arm yourself, as there will be those that do regularly in these areas, as well as other campers in these areas.

I will tone down the rhetoric as some might take it wrong. After this trip, those who have not experienced Off the Grid in the West... you will understand and feel comfortable by yourself on future trips.

Trashy camp sites attracts wildlife. You may find those campers from outside our group near popular tourist camps. Where we will be are the kind of Off the Grid campers YOU want to imitate and become. Those of us experienced in this sort of camping will try to be polite and mention quietly to those that need to change some habits, if necessary. Do not take it personally. There is much to learn by myself and less experienced Rocky Mountain campers.

Sometimes a fertile imagination is great for magazines and newsprint, but tossed around as idle horse play, may sound a bit too real. Myself included.