Old 02-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 Wyoming Adventure CLOSED and Full

2016 Wyoming Adventure is now CLOSED for new Trailers in Waiting.

There are no changes to report of individuals dropping off either list as of today.

For those who have been notified already as attending... while traveling, there will be some discussion(s) if an area is so tempting, so wonderful... and so pleasant that we stay an extra day. That is fine with me. I hate to be "towing" on the road, unless an area does not suit me. I am sure you are no different.

There is always another year and another month(s) for those now with experience. When I am busy doing something else in the future, there are a couple others who might take upon themselves, future Adventures.

Northwest Wyoming, skirting the National Parks is also something to think about for a future Adventure. Your imagination is the only thing that limits your possibilities. Oh yes. Maybe some of the roads, but you deal with it as they come... one road at a time.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Short details of what to expect...

For DuBois, Wyoming, there will be several river crossings. Not in your vehicle, but by crossing with your own two feet. Pack a small towel to dry your feet once crossing the shallow, but cold and quickly running stream/river. Also some light inexpensive tennis shoes or sandals to wear bare foot for the crossing. Once across you will put your hiking shoes back on and proceed further upstream for the larger petrified wood boulders washing out of the creek banks.

I often wear quality hiking sandals to hike. Wearing socks is a plus, as heavy leather boots are more trouble than they are helpful. I have many pairs of "heavy climbing boots" and will not need them for the majority of places we will be on this trip.

A light back pack to carry snacks or a lunch...up, and then use the back pack to haul selected pieces of petrified wood... down to camp. Probably a several mile trip, but used by pack horses and those hiking from Yellowstone Park to DuBois by back packers. You may come across these small groups that have been out a week crossing the high ground and working downstream into DuBois.

Several areas will be scattered/dispersed campsites, unless you do not mind having company. Once the sun sets it matters very little and these over night campsites are only a temporary place to detach the trailer and explore the roads in any direction.

Some towns like DuBois, Jackson, Pinedale/Big Piney will require everyone to disperse to top off your fuel and any other needs. We will gather on the side of town that is towards the next campsite. I am figuring an hour to do whatever you want, or less if everyone is ready to move onto the next base camp. Jackson, Wyoming will provide one to two hours of looking around if everyone is curious. There is a fish hatchery just outside of town on the north side. You will see some large trout here.

Again... special clothing is not necessary. If you garden in your back yard, you already have what is needed. You dress for the cool morning and by the time you return to camp... you have stripped off most as the sun warms the air quickly at these elevations. Ball camps or some head covering is advised. Nothing like a sun burnt scalp. You will return home with a nice tan.

The manager of the Wyoming Territorial Prison in Laramie is willing to give anyone a tour of the prison with two or more. They have guides there. Since I have not been to prison in Laramie, I have no idea what to expect.

The roads we will be traveling are "Improved" and most are expected to be free of major obstacles and hanging branches once at elevation. Oregon Buttes is dispersed campsites and you will be on a two rut which I straddle for best clearance. I might have to "whack out" a sagebrush or two if necessary as it has been six years from our last visit. The view is spectacular and the hike to the top of Oregon Buttes is worth the visit. For pullouts it is about one city block to find about any direction you want to align your trailer for the 100 mile view!

Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Ball "camps" is the automatic spell check version of "ball cap".
Old 03-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The new "smart" computers and tablets are more smart assed than smart.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
The new "smart" computers and tablets are more smart assed than smart.
Me too
Old 03-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #160
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
We have our ball camps ready. I have been looking at maps and getting anxious to go exploring. The mountains always start calling my name when the Mercury hits 90.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #161
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Ocala , Florida
Hey Ray. Auto-correct has become my worst enema lately!!LOL
Picks
Old 03-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #162
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Tierra View Post
Hey Ray. Auto-correct has become my worst enema lately!!LOL
Picks
Hahaha!!! You rock!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
cwf... didn't you mean "You Rick?"
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
This is a really neat and heartwarming story about wild mustangs in the West....trained by inmates to be mounts for Border Guards, chasing illegal immigrants and bad guys.

It just seemed to belong in one of Ray's threads...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...patrol-n532096
Maggie

Maggie made this post on the End of the Trail thread. I did see this on the news one evening and found those "Border Patrol" riding the horses having a unique job.

Our LAST stop is Oregon Buttes, WY. There are wild horses in the area. They do not hang around too long when people are in the area. I will point where to drive to find where they... were. The stallions will "mark" their territory with a pile, a... very large pile of horse dumplings. And... of all places... on the road.

So... an opportunity to do some "dumpling busting".

The antelope in the area do similar marking techniques, but more restrained. If someone is interested among the group traveling on this Adventure while there... I am more than happy to send you on a mission that many never have the opportunity to see in person. Take plenty of photographs... post them on the Forum. Sometimes scenery photographs get tiring and this is an interesting alternative to snow capped mountains and trees full of eagles.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:06 AM   #165
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
To a flatlander like myself, 10 days will not be nearly enough to get tired of snow capped mountains, and trees full of bald eagles. And cool air. And hikes in the mountains. And finding elk antlers. And exploring. And waking up to birds chirping. I'm not sure 10 days is enough to list all the things to keep from getting tired of snow capped mountains.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Richard does like those elk antlers...

(Gila Wilderness '15)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	695.8 KB
ID:	258910  
Old 03-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Ocala , Florida
Ray I will gladly take this assignment. I will be traveling with photo equipment that all fits into a back pack. My long lens can reach out quite a distance (500mm X 1.4 converter=600mm reach). That should grab a pic of wild horses or antelope even at some distance. I would not be adverse to mounting camera and long lens on tripod with a gimbel head in bed of truck and chasing wildlife African Safari style. That would require a skilled driver. Park rangers would disapprove I am sure. LOL
RCDubs
Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Richard in #166... that will be the last time I take you into my elk shed country.

Mas Tierra... aka Rock Pick. You could get some action shots at some stops. Not animal life, but members of the trip taking a dip into some cold "creek" crossings.

You know... you can only take so much fresh air, great scenery and warm dry air. That is why we live in Colorado and then go Boondocking to find the sources of this fresh air, great scenery and warm dry air...

Park Rangers....? We will not be at any State or National Park. Those places are for the "gentile society". Our intent is to explore what is behind the Park's curtain... which can be bigger, nicer and wilder than one could expect. Without the traffic and signs having to explain that feeding the bears alongside the road can be a hazard, posted everywhere.

Those on the 2016 Quemado Adventure will be given the opportunity to search the areas where Richard and Connie from Texas did not go. Those SIX point bucks shed TWO antlers a season...

I still have my SEVEN / SIX point rack found several years ago in the Gila National Forest. Barely would fit into the back of my Tundra with shell it was so large. Some day I will mount it on the outside of our home in Castle Rock... but will wait till Nancy is home visiting her mother in Buffalo, NY and make it a surprise... of some sort.