Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Enjoy following the Thread... but we are FULL

I do want to make this clear about the 2016 Wyoming Adventure.

IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY ACCEPTED TO BE ON THIS TRIP... DO NOT SHOW UP.

There will be other 'Adventures' in the future. There are a limited amount of campsites available on this trip. This is not a 'free for all'.

The Airfoum is an excellent site to disperse information, but play by the rules. If there are those who cannot understand, these future opportunities currently discussed, will have to be taken underground and deprive those for future opportunities from even knowing they exist.

If someone on this Adventure invites you to come along... please resist the urge to do so. Your participation will cost another who has been patient a camping spot. I do hope that everyone on this Adventure will also discourage anyone who just shows up and wants to 'tag along'.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #222
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Ahem...

From post #212 on I've been waiting for someone to comment on Ray's reference to collecting leaverrite. We won't be in National Parks, but we should know that all rocks in National Parks are leaverrite. Ray can be a sneaky devil.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
No Leaverite Crystals to be found in Wyoming

The Ice Man must be a gemologist. He knows what he is typing about.

Many amateurs that go to the Petrified Forest in Arizona may find that highest grade Leaverite right in the open and always tempted to find a pocket to... save it from being damaged from the hot days and cool evenings. Possibly fracturing and making it pretty much worthless.

Leaverite can be sold under other names when made "artificially".

Ice Man, being in Tucson knows that the largest USA gem and mineral show is outside his doorstep every February. Nancy and I were there, although bought some beautiful carved woods from Indonesia and walking sticks with handles of carved owls or eagles on top.

But... the Leaverite. You had to look very close to find any that anyone could afford. The good buys are sold before the show opens. They can just leave it in the Country of Origin as I would rather buy more walking sticks. Some day I might find some Leaverite that is left over from last season's show. Probably not, but we can all hope.

Just a couple carats around Nancy's neck and she will be the talk of the Gem Show.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2017 Wyoming FINAL ROSTER for August 2016

This is the latest and current list of those signed up for the 2016 Wyoming Rockdocking Adventure... shortened to 2016 Wyoming Adventure.

-If you are on this list and did not intend to be... let me know now.

When someone can not make it or in one example is able to catch the group at one camp, those Trailers in Waiting get the number of the vacancy. So keep that in mind for those who filled another's spot. It is just to keep my spread sheet organized and everyone on their best observation of the latest information.

#1- Ray Eklund
#2- Thalweg
#3- Thinair
#4- Unifreck
#5- AlandMissy
#6- Prickly Pear
#7- Rettig (I have NO Airforum Handle or city, state on my spread sheet)
#8- Gearheart
#9- Lumatic
#10- Barretta2 (moved into spot from Trailer in Waiting)
#11- 47WeeWind
#12- BurnsideBob
#13- Cris911
#14- Decembergal
#15- Lily&Me
#16- traveluminum
#17- tmcguffy
#18- MasTerra
#19- nvestysly
#20- SilverEagle6
(McDave- gave up his #10 and to be at one Dispersed Campsite of his choice, DuBois)

IF you are on this list in error, let me know in advance. IF you are not on this list... you are not expected to be.

Since there were a number of 'Adventures' someone may confused which Adventure... and now is a great time to get that cleared up. My spreadsheet is what I use for contacting the above 21 members. The numbers are for MY keeping things organized, but in most cases... as someone signed up... their name was added at that time and that is the line # on my spread sheet.

There are currently TWO 30' trailers on this Adventure. One is definite in coming and the other may be reconsidering. My experience is with a 23' and a 25' trailer in tow. Anyone towing over 25' will be breaking 'new ground'.

My next post is how I plan to arrange the two 'up and over' routes as well as ALL of the other Base Camps.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #225
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
SUPERsized 2016 Wyoming

Just to prepare everyone in advance so there is no confusion.

I am pulling a 25 foot Airstream. Those on the trip with a trailer or an Interstate are all 25 feet or under will be following behind me. No order in size, just UP TO 25 feet.

Those with a trailer OVER 25' must take notice, and this is for YOUR traveling safety. We have the following lengths to follow the 25 foot and under:

(6) 27 foot trailers
(1) 29 foot trailer
(2) 30 foot trailers

This is the exact order that the convoy will travel on paved and off paved roads.

- The 25 foot and LESS.
- The 27 foot trailers in any order among themselves
- The 28 foot trailer
- The 30 foot trailers in any order among themselves

This is for YOUR paying attention to the trailer(s) in front of yourself. If a 25' clears... watch and do the same. This is in some cases with the passenger walking alongside the trailer, being the eyes following and signaling to the driver, confirming clearances, if needed at all.

If a 27 foot clears, the same for the next 27 foot. Work together.

The 28 foot, the 29 foot and then the two 30 foot trailers have a much better idea of clearance, bumper clearances and turn around space needed. This is all visual and EACH DRIVER is responsible for their navigating tight areas if and when necessary.

All of this is to make everyone aware that risks can be easily avoided by paying attention to details. There could be ZERO concerns, but each year road conditions may improve, or not and turn outs can and have been graded, where some shoveling access is necessary to clear the plumbing exiting the main road to dispersed campsites.

IF you are not one to pay close attention to obstacles of overhead branches, estimating clearances from left and right, stray angular stones laying on the improved forest service roads and etc..., maybe a Boondocking Adventure is not your preference of travel.

This may appear to be the 'Sky is Falling' notice. It is not. It is the Plumbing and Bumper... could be.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #226
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming Fishing License Fee- Non Residents

wgfd.wyo.gov

Wyoming Game and Fish Department
Nonresident Annual: $92.00
Nonresident Daily : $14.00
Nonresident Youth Annual: $15.00

As many nonresident fisherman are aware, plan the daily use in advance.

Calculate how long you will be in Wyoming. If your daily cost is close to the Annual License... you get it. Work out the numbers in advance.

When tent camping in my younger less affluent days, catching some trout for a dinner was part of the camping experience. By the time you removed the head and tail, gutted and scaled... there was not a lot of flesh left on a 14" average river trout. I had seen locals along the highway from DuBois towards Jackson catch a half dozen Brown trout in ten minutes in a small stream along the highway... for breakfast. They were using worms... which may not even be legal today or at the time. My fly experience at the same time... ZERO to their SIX.

Today... when fly fishing for sport and not for meals... I prefer to crimp the barb so that I can release the catch easier... or they get off line before you bring them to your net. Or another option, flies are tied and sold without a barb.

Fish do not know a willow stick pole, string and a 35 cent fly... from an overpriced rod, reel, leader, line and hand tied fly. Some Wyoming lake fishing uses a spinning rod, bubble, leader with a fly trolling about five or six feet. Granite and Crystal Reservoirs between Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming are great for this system.

We will be at several mountain streams on this Adventure. The daily license may be more cost effective... but you may be off to the North Platte near Saratoga, Wyoming or other other 'rivers' sometimes requiring flat boat guides and an Annual License is more cost effective.

On this Adventure, there use to be at Alpine, Wyoming, a fly shop and another at DuBois, Wyoming. Conveniently placed near the turnoffs for fishermen. I bring my fly rod, reels and a bag full of flies and knotted leaders accumulated from fifty years of thinking of that 'special fly' that had been unused since 1975 comes into... season.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #227
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Wyoming tutorial books . . .

Just received my tutorial materials on Wyoming and will soon begin reading and studying them for our August Rockdocking Adventure:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Longmire novels low res.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	260967  
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My Sunday paper last week had an "Explore Wyoming" insert....timely, tho I've been there before.

Looking at Devils Tower, the hand carved moose that sits in the Interstate's dash well was custom made for that exact spot by a woodcarver near the Tower.

I'll have to see if he's still there, and take my carving for a visit to his home place.

Maggie
Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
!Wyoming is the mirror image gnimoyW!

Some of you might even pass yourselves off as being Natives from Wyoming....

Try some serious trivia:

- Bill Nye and Boomerang (Larmie's newspaper editor at the beginning of time)

- The Bronco and Rider on the State license plate, University of Wyoming logo and on the back of Thalweg's trailer. Interesting history, yet to be settled during a bar fight in Lander. I will get the fight started and take notes on whose side won.

- Wyoming was the first State giving the right for women to vote in 1869. Of course, the State was a Territory at the time, but it obviously brought women into the territory to express their opinions. Before then the locals would fight over horses, as there were no women to fight over. Possibly how Devil's Tower was named by a deceased bachelor.

- Did any of you know that the Red Desert has no outlet for water drainage and this area is surrounded by the Continental Divide as an extra bonus? We will be camped near at Oregon Buttes and those of you wanting to take a swim are welcome to. The red sand is from the Triassic ocean deposits. Bring your own water.

- Wyoming... the land of Peneplains. So many it could be something to ignore in the future.

- Wyoming high grade Jade. Although found near our first camp site at Beaver Rim, many geologists believe that the source of the Jade was exposed for millions of years within an older mountain range, and then through a period of intense mountain building... was faulted downward and buried by the Wind River Mountain Range. Bring a shovel... you may be the one who makes the discovery and as a group, we will register the claim! If after 12,000 feet you do not succeed, you will have lost a few pounds and gained a nice tan.

- ... and yes Maggie. You may find the exact Moose you have carved in our 'up and over' from Boulder, WY to Pindale, WY. The meadows are thick with Moose... and bullwinkle's. Moose also are found at our camp at DuBois. They like to travel on the same roads and you will be wise to give them the right of way. Their antlers can scratch the finish on an Interstate and open up the side of an Airstream when disturbed. Although large, the moose do not have license plates attached that reflect light at night. Be careful and polite. Do not confuse a Horse with a Moose without antlers. The Moose during hunting season do not have 'horse' chalked onto both sides, nor have a rider wearing a hat.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #230
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
I won't be trying to pass myself off as a Wyoming native, but I am fond of the state (traveling to Rock Springs tomorrow.) Ya'll have some serious wind socks up there on the high plains.

Seriously, I work with lots of folks in Wyoming and it is a great place. I hope to AS up there more in the future and expand my travel horizons. Look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Unifreck (Ed & Jan) provided a Medical Emergency Kit

Today I received an unannounced carton from United Parcel Service.

Nancy opened the carton and it was a real surprise... a Professional Emergency Medical Kit from Unifreck (Ed and Jan). What a wonderful gift to receive, considering the remote locations this group will find themselves. Thank you so much. We will carry this in our trailer at all times.

This will go with my otoscope... to look into ears. Also my finger nail clippers that serves multiple uses in addition to my tweezers.

Unifreck are members of the AirForums and a couple who have been on a previous Airstream Adventure at Quemado, NM last year. This will provide about anything for an emergency situation.

For those while on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure... ask to take a look at this setup. This is a fine addition to my Duct Tape and Neosporin that makes up my medical first aid kit.

Office Hours at dispersed campsites or the Base Camp are flexible and hours not posted. Volunteers with simple medical issues requiring attention will be needed to practice with some of this equipment. Pets may as well be included...
Old 04-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That was nice of them!

One of our group is also an MD, as I recall.

Maggie
Old 04-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #233
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Today I received an unannounced carton from United Parcel Service.

Nancy opened the carton and it was a real surprise... a Professional Emergency Medical Kit from Unifreck (Ed and Jan). What a wonderful gift to receive, considering the remote locations this group will find themselves. Thank you so much. We will carry this in our trailer at all times.

This will go with my otoscope... to look into ears. Also my finger nail clippers that serves multiple uses in addition to my tweezers.

Unifreck are members of the AirForums and a couple who have been on a previous Airstream Adventure at Quemado, NM last year. This will provide about anything for an emergency situation.

For those while on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure... ask to take a look at this setup. This is a fine addition to my Duct Tape and Neosporin that makes up my medical first aid kit.

Office Hours at dispersed campsites or the Base Camp are flexible and hours not posted. Volunteers with simple medical issues requiring attention will be needed to practice with some of this equipment. Pets may as well be included...
That's awesome! Now we're fully prepared for the "Running with Scissors Rodeo" that Ray has scheduled for Double Cabin. Oops, was that a secret Ray?
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #234
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
'Crossing the River' will be the challenge this year

No 'running with the scissors rodeo' this year.

The 'Crossing of the River' will be the challenge to those who take it on this Adventure. IF you want to actually see Double Cabin and the out house... you will have to make the crossing. It is the ritual that separates the dry from the wet adventurers.

... and 'river' is more dependent on the snow melt from the high country to the northwest of our campsite. Some years the snow pack is nil with flow rates that are low, becoming meandering streams. Crossing each, by carefully picking out the shallow spots. Each year new channels are developed.

August is the low water flow and dry season for these mountain streams to creeks to intermittent flowing water. It was not by accident that August was selected for these Adventures.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #235
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am up for crossing the river, as I must see Double Cabin.

I have sturdy Keen sandals which have taken me safely into..and out of...Lake Superior and the Boundary Waters rocky and uneven surfaces.

Not too deep, not too swift, and I'm good.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Love those Keen sandals. Ray, how cold are those streams? I thought of fishing at Twin Lakes between Leadville and Aspen back in July of '76 and decided instead on having cereal for breakfast since It required wading "wet" to get into casting range. I got just past ankle deep before my appetite for trout vanished completely.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #237
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
... and 'river' is more dependent on the snow melt from the high country to the northwest of our campsite. Some years the snow pack is nil with flow rates that are low, becoming meandering streams. Crossing each, by carefully picking out the shallow spots. Each year new channels are developed.

August is the low water flow and dry season for these mountain streams to creeks to intermittent flowing water. It was not by accident that August was selected for these Adventures.
The area around Dubois is showing about average snowpack this year, and the way the Spring is coming on, there is low flooding potential. These conditions suggest to me that by August, the river flow will be as low as it ever gets. I'm confident that we can get everyone across the river that wants to get across the river. This area is a snowmelt driven hydrologic regime, at fairly high altitude. I suspect that the water will be chilly. I can't find data on this particular stretch of river, but I suspect that the water will be around 40 degrees F, maybe a little lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	APR2016.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	839.0 KB
ID:	261073   Click image for larger version

Name:	APR2016 (3).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	560.1 KB
ID:	261074  

Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #238
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Numb Feet fishing in sandals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Love those Keen sandals. Ray, how cold are those streams? I thought of fishing at Twin Lakes between Leadville and Aspen back in July of '76 and decided instead on having cereal for breakfast since It required wading "wet" to get into casting range. I got just past ankle deep before my appetite for trout vanished completely.

I have to agree with Thalweg about Double Cabin water at 40F to 45F.

I like fly fishing in sandals up to mid knee. After twenty minutes you need to get out as your feet are a bit numb. I have 'hip waders' for river fishing. These are not the heavy rubber boots an plastic up to your chest. If you slip into the moving water these heavy chest waders could fill with water and you will become a hippo trying to crawl out of the river. Although... my current only pair of sandals now remaining are my most comfortable pair and will not touch any water. My old water sandals are nylon straps with textured mud and snow soles.

The hip waders are closer to your waist and have straps that your belt holds them up. I have thick socks to keep my feet warm... and hopefully dry. Great for these rivers / creeks in Wyoming. They weigh about 50% less than the 'duck hunters' gear. (At Yellowstone... the water is deeper, so they do not work there.)

I also prefer 'bush whacking' fly fishing. You spot a calm deep hole and slowly make your way below the hole... and work the line upstream of the hole and see what comes out to check it out. One hole can have several large trout at Double Cabin. Especially at low water... where the fish get stranded.

The North Platte River in the Saratoga, Wyoming area is very wide and at best, up to your knees. All of the big catches are catch and release, or they use to be. I think it was called the Miracle Mile for fishermen. Further up stream the water is up to mid shin bone and wide. Many prefer to inner tube downstream to Saratoga to meet their ride parked by the Hobo Hot Springs.

I have seen 'tourist fishermen' in Montana who have the hat to waders and every option in between, fishing in a two foot deep stream... Here I am in short pants, tee shirt, sunglasses, ball cap and an inexpensive pole/reel. Fish do not care how you dress with $50 garb or $1500 Norman Rockwell painting garb... just have to have the right fly at the right time.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #239
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't look to be standing in the water fishing, but cheering everyone on from the shore.

My goal is just to ford that River, and make the return trip back.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #240
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Ocala , Florida
Hi Ray et al on the Wyoming 2016 adventure. K and I just got back from our 2016 Big Bend Texas Birding Adventure. Wow did we have a blast (counted 238 different bird species). After 3,600 miles we are slowly becoming seasoned Air Streamers. I can now say we love this life style and are really looking forward to the Wyoming 2016 adventure. I thought I would post some things that I learned. Yep almost fell off the steep learning Airstream Curve but not quite.
1. START preparing a week before departure date
2. Start off with potable water tank full in case campsite water looks bad
3. Allow two days for refrigerator to cool WITH food inside
4. Water pump OFF when hooked up to city water (2015 International Serenity). If pump is inadvertently left on it will ignore city water source and draw from fresh water reserve
5. Lost trailer brakes after washer board road travel on I-10 through Baton Rouge. Don't panic just adjust female spade in 7 way harness to ensure good contact with male spade. Worked fine rest of trip.
6. If you find water under sink don't PANIC. Check connection between detachable faucet head and faucet hose. If loose water follows faucet hose path back under sink. Plumbers tape and tightening head corrected problem.
7. ALWAYS lower electronic awning when away from trailer. We left camp ground clear weather NO WIND. We got phone call that afternoon that there was 50-60 MPH (I am dead serious) and trailer was locked and ropes were tied to secure awning. Two other SOBs lost their awnings. I returned and we lowered it successfully. I think the cross member gas struts really helped prevent a total flyaway. The electronic awning did not sustain damage and was subject to high winds for two hours before our return.
8. Michelin 16 inch trailer tires are worth every penny. I had tread failure on (passenger rear) Good Year Wrangler 260/65 S20 E *20,000 miles* load range E..........20 miles east of Del Rio Texas. Yeah we turned around. Tire pressures were normal and only evidence was front drivers side vibration and onboard computer reading "Stabilization initializing." Visited 5 tire stores (including Good Year) no one had tire replacement. Also discovered that spare on my 2013 2500 HD GMC truck is 17 inch NOT 20 inch as the rest of the tires
9. Tire failure between Del Rio Texas and Big Bend National Park could be a real hassle because of the remoteness of the area.
10. I replaced all 4 truck tires with Michelin 20" Defenders and they held pressure perfectly for rest of trip as did the 4 Michelin trailer tires. Plan to upgrade spare tire to FULL 20 inch Michelin.
11. 400 mile days are a bit long but VERY doable including 45 minute lunch break.
12. 2013 2500 HD GMC diesel truck coupled with Equalizer WD hitch and a 27 International Serenity is a dream ride.
13. Keep a stash of quarters to do laundry
14. Remember a funnel and DEF if you plan to be remote
15 There is no substitute for an accurate MAP cause GPS Siri and Google Maps caN GET YOU LOST.

So Ray I should be in better shape when I hook up with you in August. Tell you neighbor I got some great wildlife photos on this journey. Not sure how to share on AirForums.

Best to you and fellow Wyoming 2016 adventure seekers.
RCW
Mas Tierra is offline   Reply With Quote