Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 WYOMING Rockdocking Adventure(s)

The short notice for New Mexico is actually an advance notice when my wife finds out where the next "adventure" is located.

For those attending this 2015 Quemado Rockdocking trip... a true adventure... I hope to get to know each of you attending, well enough to help, as Maggie is doing such a wonderful job at the present, AND you never know helping out on the... 2016 Wyoming Rockdocking Adventure including a bit of Nebraska and Montana. There are NO guarantees that the adventure will be easy, without complications , discover empty camp sites when arriving or even Yellowstone blowing out its Caldera while we are there. The adventure is purely voluntary on your part and mine. You can endure a true adventure and then break away to the groomed and well worn campsites of Yellowstone and the Tetons.

There is a slight possibility, if in the vicinity of the Grand Tetons, to camp at a National Forest site, so removed from the general population, so tough to tow a trailer, that most will turn pale and not proceed any further. But that is another trip and I would have to visit this absolutely perfect getaway that is posted under Wyoming Boondocking somewhere on the Forum. This is the maximum Rockdocking with a trailer campsite.

There are some absolutely wonderful places to visit and camp ON and OFF the grid in the Wyoming and Montana mountains. Actually so many places I can only list a few so not to go over my 1200 word limit... well +/- a hundred words here or there.

1- Western Nebraska, Fort Robinson, Black Hills within driving distance, Badlands of Western Nebraska and camped on Government Pasture right above the Badlands for a Rockdocking campsite you will brag about for years. 10 to 14 days

2- Oregon Buttes, Wyoming. A landmark for the Oregon Trail, hiking or bicycling the dirt roads. South Pass. Lander. Popo Agie-Shoshone National Forest Rockdocking in the Forest. Then anyone can depart to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and off into the wild blue yonder. 10 to 14 days

3- Cody, Wyoming. Buffalo Bill Reservoir campground. Buffalo Bill Museum. Then anyone can depart to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and off into the volcanic time bomb. 5 days

4- DuBois, Wyoming. Double Cabin and Greys River outside of Alpine, Wyoming for Rockdocking. Fishing, hiking and just laying back. 10 to 14 days

5- Custer Battlefield, Crow Agency, Montana. Buffalo, Wyoming (home of Sheriff Longmire) west into the Big Horn Mountains to Thermopolis, Wyoming hot springs that are not so hot, but warm. Lander.. 10 to 14 days.

6- Saratoga, Wyoming. Hot Springs (very hot to just hot). North Platte River. Medicine Bow Mountains. Mountain Home Rockdocking. Laramie, Wyoming to Vedauwoo Rocks Rockdocking camp sites. North Platte in this area is catch and release for the big trout... even though if you step into the river which is about three feet deep and great for tubing.

Some of these areas I have been to many times and know the area very well.

Some locations... just know enough to get all of us looking for a place to dive into any open campsite for a day or two to explore. Several areas are close enough to South Pass across to Big Piney, Pinedale and Rockdock in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. A bit of nice scenery, access to some fly fishing, and bear, moose and elk.

The campsites are open to anyone, so at times you have to settle for... less optimum Rockdocking sites. We would move Monday to Thursday and stay put Friday, Saturday and stay Sunday or leave Sunday AM depending on how things are... going.

This is NOT for the timid nor those worried about dust, dirt, possible afternoon showers, hot days, cold evenings, camping along side some road in nowhere, etc. etc. But... my wife and I have survived each of these adventures and so could ...you.

I absolutely always enjoy #1 and you will return with other family members or friends, especially if you have kids from 5 to 13 years of age.

Sites #2 and #3 are great if you want to go to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons afterwards.

Site #4 is absolutely wonderful and looks nothing like the scenery around Riverton or DuBois, Wyoming. I know the spot that makes the Grand Tetons look... too touristy, with plenty of free camping.

Site #5 is one that we did last year and it was a lot of driving through Billings and around the Big Horns as these mountains will smoke your brakes. I know of a campsite west of Buffalo that is... flat. All others... I might have to ask our Airstream Buffalo, Wyoming resident Thalweg who might know some Big Horn campsites. I recall camped on top in a large meadow off the Highway many years ago... which could be west of Buffalo.

If there is interest in attending another unconventional Rockdocking adventure, what would be your perfect single or combination trip to Wonderful Wyoming? This is not a tour. You and I may experience new complications, places we found by pure good luck and fine restaurants in small Wyoming towns. If you cannot handle one hour, one day or two weeks... the highway is easy to find and nobody will blame you for departing.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm for the Dubois, Wyoming, site.

Maggie
Old 05-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Site #5 is one that we did last year and it was a lot of driving through Billings and around the Big Horns as these mountains will smoke your brakes. I know of a campsite west of Buffalo that is... flat. All others... I might have to ask our Airstream Buffalo, Wyoming resident Thalweg who might know some Big Horn campsites. I recall camped on top in a large meadow off the Highway many years ago... which could be west of Buffalo.
I'd be happy to coordinate a rockdocking adventure in the Bighorns. However, I'm not sure I could provide the experience you're looking for. I know of many great sites suitable of one or two rigs. I also know of numerous sites suitable for 20-30 rigs. Unfortunately, those larger sites have some significant drawbacks. Around Memorial day there is a large migration of regional campers that take these sites up. Mostly folks from Gillette. They usually leave the rigs on site for two weeks at a time, then move to another. Most of these rigs are accompanied by a fleet of ATVs which bring lots of dust and noise. The feeling of remoteness cannot be attained at the larger sites, at least what I consider remoteness.

If we just need sites for a couple of rigs, I know some outstanding sites.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This gathering is on, set to meet August 14th in Laramie, WY, for a 7-10 day boondocking adventure.

Many of the Quemado group from this year have already signed on for this, also a couple of others who had expressed interest.

Perhaps everyone who has already confirmed could chime in here, and I will leave it to Brent and Chris and anyone one else who knows more than I to explain what I can't about where exactly we are going.

"Wyoming DeLorme Atlas pages 49, 50, 39, 40, 41, 28 is the area we are most familiar. The area is bound by Pinedale to Lander, South Pass to Jeffery City, WY and to DuBois page 49 to the NW and then double back to page 41 to get around the Bridger-Tetons. A good ten days.

We are looking at everyone arriving in Laramie Sunday, August 14th and leaving Laramie, Wyoming Monday AM. If that works for everyone, a plan can be put together using that date and figuring 7 to 10 days. A rolling every day trip is not any fun, so fewer stops for a longer time works best for me. Maybe the rest concur.

Traffic through Colorado is lightest on Sunday to make it to Cheyenne and I-80. So the date in August is not arbitrary. Mid August will catch the water levels in the mountains at their lowest of the year, before winter.
"

If you are interested, please pm me with your name, email address and cell phone number while traveling.

Needless to say.....Lily and I are in., God willing and the creek don't rise, as the saying goes.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
FT with Q-dog

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
I'm still in! Thanks for making this happen
VeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Confirmed at this time:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Maggie and Lily

Maggie
Old 10-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Add me in. Laura and I are keen to go.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Confirmed at this time:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Maggie and Lily

Maggie.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Joining the thread and hopefully joining the trip if you youngsters can put up with the older crowd. Neill & Nita. Just so Lily and Ray's pups have some company - Dixie, Lily and Sydney will be along (Dixie in the avatar..)

We've been in and around #s 2,3 & 5 in past years so we'll go just about anywhere the leaders decide.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Joining the thread and hopefully joining the trip if you youngsters can put up with the older crowd. Neill & Nita. Just so Lily and Ray's pups have some company - Dixie, Lily and Sydney will be along (Dixie in the avatar..)

We've been in and around #s 2,3 & 5 in past years so we'll go just about anywhere the leaders decide.
Happy to have you along. Age makes no difference, and dogs are a major component of these trips. I think there were seven dogs on the last trip. Some tension between dogs is inevitable, but they work it out. Maggie should be along shortly to collect your info.

This adventure will be caravan style, though I'm hesitant to use that term, but there is no better term. We will most likely start around Laramie, and end around Dubois. We've got a rough plan worked out, but I'm sworn to secrecy. Not knowing the route will be part of the adventure.

We're getting pretty close to full. We figured that we could handle around ten-ish rigs. However, when planning this far in advance, some folks are likely to drop out.

Brent
Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
WOW! This sure sounds like lots of fun. Probably can't make it to this outing but I plan to watch this thread and see how things go. We'd like to join in some time.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
WOW! This sure sounds like lots of fun. Probably can't make it to this outing but I plan to watch this thread and see how things go. We'd like to join in some time.
We're planning on doing another one in the Spring to the Black Hills and western Nebraska. In case that would work out better for you. It will be less extensive than the Wyoming trip.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ka-140875.html
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #13

We are interested! Will see how the schedule goes next summer!
sallytwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post

Welcome!

Please pm me your full names and cell phone number, for the list of attendees I am keeping for Ray.

I will send out a list with contact information as we get closer.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Confirmed at this time:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Maggie and Lily

We haven't heard yet from quite everyone who did the New Mexico trip. I also think Ray was not as fixed on limiting to 10 as he was initially, but I will have to check with him.

Maggie
Old 10-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 Wyoming

Nancy and I have been in the Mohave Desert of Southern Nevada and Northwest Arizona, getting toughened up for the Colorado winter that is on its way. Also the Tucson, AZ Rock show coming in February 2016.

If anyone can handle 110F daily highs and lows in the upper 80's and low 90's.... even the humidity and heat of the Midwest during the Summer can be tamed.. toughest weather for Off the Grid Airstream camping. I am sorry I could not make the Mid Missouri Fall Boondocks Rally... My hats are too current.

You do sweat in this so called "dry heat". Water in... Sweat out.

I have had a number of emails concerned about Wyoming 2016 and that the State fell off the map. Wyoming is still there. Anyone from newbie to expert will learn something about themselves and their trailer or... tent... or whatever comfort level you are seeking.

Since these Wyoming off the grid camp sites have more space than the New Mexico location... there is more space available at these Wyoming sites. Nobody will be asked not to come. Although anyone can leave at any time to continue "their" camping trip. There is no cost to anyone, other than your own expenses. Contact information is so you know when, what and where.

This true adventure will happen, even if it is myself, Nancy and our two Blue Heelers. The last two years have had a surplus of precipitation that brings the insects and mud. One attacks those camping, the other attacks their trailer without any regard to condition or age. A "dry August" will be something to look forward, as the Spring in the high country have been WET.

Today, October 4th, a dusting of SNOW on the mountains to the south of I-70 in Utah, in the Richfield/Salina, Utah area! Daytime temperatures in the ... low 50's while driving past. No snow in Colorado high country, dry pavement on I-70.

I have been updated as to those interested. There are many Boondocking Threads on this Forum concerning Off the Grid camping. Check them out. Your questions will be answered if you ask a few questions, maybe appearing "newbie"... but it is among the newbies that the Forum thrives to serve. The well experienced are eager to help and learn more from your questions, forced to recall some information long forgotten.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Taos , New Mexico
Hey Ray - good to hear from you here again! We traveled some of the same roads last week thru Utah (hwy. 50 and I-70) and it was still warm then, had been 99 in Moab just last Monday, day before we stopped at Horse Thief CG for a night on our way home. Fall has arrived in the southern Rockies as of this weekend, but we had a 28 degree morning in Ketchum more than two weeks ago. I'd forgotten how to dress for frosty mornings!

Cheers!
Chris
Thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
To clarify for anyone just looking at this thread, this event is scheduled for next August....2016.

We are set to meet in Laramie, WY, on August 14th, 2016.

Anyone interested, chime in, and send me a pm with your full names, private email and cell phone number.

Maggie
Old 10-04-2015, 11:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Confirmed at this time:

Ray and Nancy
Chris and Carla
Brent and Connie
Ed and Jan
Al and Missy
Jim and Paula
Jennifer
Gerard and Laura
Neil and Nita
Marshall
Maggie and Lily

Maggie
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2016 Wyoming- August 14, 2016

When: August 14th, 2016
Where: Laramie, Wyoming Territorial Prison parking lot
Why: Only you know why you would want to attend

This will be a Wyoming ONLY adventure. A May/June 2016 Black Hills and Western Nebraska adventure is also coming and covering South Dakota and Nebraska found under Boondocking.

There is so much ground to cover that the Wyoming Adventure will be mostly the NW quarter of the State of Wyoming. Since I prefer to stay a day or more at each site we visit, there will be plenty of time to bicycle, inner tube float, hike, fish, rock hunt, lay back and sip beverages or just find time to forget the civilized world and read a good book.

August is usually a dry time of the year. Warm days and Cool evenings. Low humidity. The biting insects have had their day in the Spring and we wish them all well. The trout are biting about anything that looks appealing, since the hatches are long over. The local tackle shop can sell you a couple current flies for several dollars each.

As time permits, I will try to list some items that are necessary for this trip. Some sites offer well water. Some will have Forest Service restrooms. Some will have... absolutely nothing other than what nature has provided: fresh air, forest and mountains as far as you can see.

This is intended for the experienced to help the newbie Off the Grid trailer or tent camper get acquainted with smart away from civilization campsites. Yes, there will be bear, moose, elk, deer, mountain sheep, cattle, horses and smaller furry creatures. None will present an issue, IF you practice keeping your campsite clean and eatables stowed away.

There is no limit to those wanting to show up, stay or depart when their days on the road are limited. Almost like a Wyoming Buffet, but you chose what part of the menu is enough. I understand most of us do have to return home at some time. No problem.

The Adventure begins in the parking lot of the Wyoming State Territorial Prison that is open for tours. It is now a tourist attraction and Laramie, Wyoming is the home of the University of Wyoming. Get there early and visit the wonderful Geology Museum on Campus. The Museum is free and has their own dinosaur from Como Bluffs, Wyoming. We might have the option to actually get close to the Wyoming Dinosaur graveyard near Medicine Bow, Wyoming... but weather and time permitting. We will stop at the Virginian Hotel and stop for Breakfast or Lunch to prepare for the real journey to come.

I find that many from the 2015 New Mexico Adventure to the Gila Wilderness are willing to experience a much more challenging list of sites to visit. Some never learn. But we all enjoyed the remoteness found where no tourist would attempt.

There is a lot of time to prepare yourself for this trip. I toss around ten days as a good number of days to prevent driving the blacktop versus exploring. Maybe 14 days for those who want to find themselves pushing further into the Oregon Trail crossings and obscure sites that are just spots on a map... but what wonderful spots they are indeed!

I expect some interested to have things come up which prevent their from coming. This is not a problem, but it is worthwhile to say you might or intend to show up so early planning can fit everyone into various stops on the way to the premier location at DuBois, Wyoming.