Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Free detailed map source/
1. Go to www.geocaching.com (you might have to join but it's free and fun)
2. Click on "Play"
3. Click on "Find a Geocache"
4. Search "Quemado, NM"
5. Pick the geocache "Spirit of Quemado Community Cemetery"
6. Scroll down to the 2nd map then click on "view larger map"

You can now zoom in any direction as well as in and out. Scroll down the map until you get to the turnoff on rt 32 and take it from there. You will have to zoom in quite a bit for the forest roads to show.

PS. I think I figured out where base camp is with Ray's directions but if I come in late if someone can flag the route from the turnoff on rt 32 you will get a special prize.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quemado, NM Survivors: Seven to Three...

We had four cancellations for a number of issues in late April, leaving three members to endure two days of light drizzle at Quemado Lake campsite, temperatures dipping into the upper 20's and 30's by morning with crystal blue pleasant days for the other three days.

Frost was not on the Itinerary, but WAS evident.

The two 'Never Been to Quemado' did get a real lesson in Off the Grid camping and the meaning of a three dog night to keep warm. Two used generators to maintain their comfort levels and Nancy and I added more covers for the cold snap for May. When we needed to heat the interior of the trailer around 3AM, I had the tow vehicle attached idling to maintain 12 volts plus minimum battery charge and managed to find 41 degrees as... our comfort level just before sunrise. Batteries maintained 11.0 to 11.5 volts with minimal power use, other than fresh water pump use during the day for cooking or filling water bottles for hiking.

Trailer's right sides with door OPEN catching full sunrise in the morning... the trailer heated up faster than any furnace could manage. The 5% humidity is wonderful. The air was cool, and the sun was hot. Only someone at elevation can experience this. If you wanted to cool down... stand in the shade of a tree. Really.... When you adjust to temperature at elevation... 55 degrees is HOT.

Amazing... we did find the group of Anasazi Pit Houses that were not located last year. After some further searching, several more sites were found that were unknown to us.

Those with health issues... get well. We missed you. Adventures will always exist. Only our health and time to experience them is short.

Those from last year's trip... Nancy and I went to Slaughter Mesa and found a higher elevation, about 8,000 feet campsite... which cooled down to only 51 degrees that evening! Almost one sheet and a light cover for comfortable sleep. Room for ten trailers... but in the deep woods full of Elk. Did not find one Elk Antler, unlike Richard from last years trip. Walked miles....

If the other two that managed to make it this year have any experiences to share... do not be bashful, as we are now in southern Nevada digging rock and planning time for some Las Vegas buffets. These upper 80's and low 90's and lots of sun are spoiling us! Greenhorn Boondocking in Colorado will be something to look forward... unless it snows, rains, sleets, gets too hot, too cold and any other Rocky Mountain adventure possibilities.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Ray, glad you had a nice experience. I am looking forward to the greenhorn adventure in June. I suppose you heard that Kathy and Ted had to drop out, due to health issues for Ted. We wish them both luck and a quick recovery. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wish I could have seen the rest of those pit houses, Ray.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ladies 'In Training' with my wife Nancy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Ray, glad you had a nice experience. I am looking forward to the greenhorn adventure in June. I suppose you heard that Kathy and Ted had to drop out, due to health issues for Ted. We wish them both luck and a quick recovery. Evelyn.
Nancy connected our lap top computer to the Internet today and received the message from Kathy. Three years ago, I forget, the four of us went together to pick up their first Airstream. Ted's FIRST trip through Denver traffic was an experience for everyone, especially Ted. I remember MY first hour towing... I aged more than necessary, while Nancy hung onto whatever seemed to be attached to the tow vehicle's door. I did not realize you could measure sweat by the bottle!

Nancy will be working with the Ladies on this Greenhorn Adventure on some days. We have had plenty of time thinking of important details, while on the road and when camped among the trees, bees and flies. She had some good ideas that will come to good use, shortly.

I will be working with the Dogs in attendance and those in the 'Dog House', if you know what I mean.

The Guys... they will have have to listen to either myself or keeping track of the dogs in attendance. ...and if they think they are going to get a pass on this adventure... better think twice. After the Quemado Adventure, I have MORE tough procedures to... endure. One... NEVER lose your patience with your wife while backing up into a tight spot. For one important reason...

IF you think you are that good... we will all watch and make comments, if necessary. It is a team effort to 'learn' how to signal to the one looking in the rear view mirror. I know it can be frustrating. It is... At times you, as the driver, will have to get out of the tow vehicle and see what mess you find yourself.

The weather should be absolutely... indifferent to our being there!

I do not care if you have towed for one hour or 400 years... we will ALL work with those who need one on one tips.

I thought I knew it all, until I was married.

That will be something to think about on this Adventure. It will take all of the help we can get. I show no mercy nor compassion, except to those Ladies in attendance. I KNOW who is in charge. You will shortly!

But when things goes to Hell... we Guys know how to play this game!
Old 05-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
2016 Quemado, New Mexico May Adventure

Quote: "If the other two that managed to make it this year have any experiences to share... do not be bashful,"

The location was extraordinary:

Ray's right about the temps: 32 or below every night - I recorded a 29 and a 27. 45 inside the trailer. Each AM about 5:30 - 5:45 I'd start the trusty Honda and run the furnace up to 60 while the coffee was brewing.

This also underscores an advantage of the Queen over the Twins - no fighting over who gets to sleep with the dogs. Truly three-dog-nights. Our littlest curls up around my wife's nape like a fur collar and makes her all toasty.

At the end there was a little scuffle over who got to take Blue home -- Nancy won. Not sure there was really a contest there....
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Was everyone attending just running off two grp 24 or 27 batteries and couldn't keep the furnace running at 50F-60F at night?

No one had solar?

Kelvin
Old 05-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
No solar. All three of us had Hondas and the batteries were adequate to keep my trailer at 45 - 50 degrees, although it appears Ray used the Tundra to supplement the battery capacity while I used the Honda. My batteries are the factory issued Lead Acid and were reading 12.1 to 12.2 after a night maintaining 45 degrees. One of the trailers was a 1971 Trade Wind - not sure what it has for batteries. I think Ray has AGMs.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quemado Lakes and the Gila Wilderness, New Mexico

You have several options south of Quemado, New Mexico. At the excellent campsite at Quemado Lake, south of Quemado and you will find the sign sending you EAST of the main highway. You look it up... it is your Adventure. Not mine.

You can also go into the Gila National Forest and camp near Freeman Mountain! True Off the Grid Boondocking. YOU, again, find it. Find a campsite that is to your liking!

I include some photographs of earlier trips into the area. Make 2017 your taking an Adventure on your own. Once you have done a couple of these... you will either do it for the rest of your life, or go back and set up camp next to a couple dozen other RV's at a trailer park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2682.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	614.9 KB
ID:	278028   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3023.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	503.1 KB
ID:	278029  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2671.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	586.0 KB
ID:	278030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2675.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	278031  

Old 08-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The New Mexico Adventure of 2016- revisited.

The local businesses welcome you as friends. The National Forest Service offices in Quemado, Reserve and Glenwood have fresh, cold Spring Water that is excellent.