Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It's misleading and misinformed for the salesman to say "most guys" use two 6s ... or two 12s, for that matter. Remember this is the same sort of fellow who will tell you whatever tow vehicle you have "will be just fine"... He's a salesman.

As pointed out, there are different schools of thought and each has its faithful following ... and they all get to the campground successfully. (We use two deep cycle AGM 12v batteries.)

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2013 19' International
Bay Area , California
Originally Posted by Markj55 View Post
I recently bought my first trailer (2006 Bambi SE). my wife and I are excited to use it. I do have some questions about what generator to get (thinking about a Yamaha 2400) and how much it will operate. I'm wondering whether I have enough vehicle (2005 Tundra 4.7L v8) for mountains etc. What kind of mirror extensions and if they're needed? How long the propane will last when dry camping? I know it depends on heater use etc. but realistically. And who makes a good cover? Any other advice is welcome.... It's nice to be part of this community!
Thanks all,
Mark and Laurie
We just got our Bambi Sport 16 last week so the only real advice I can give you is on the generators. We ended up getting 2 of the Yamaha EF20001s generators (with the parallel cable). Used them last week and they worked great. Started up easily and in the "economy mode" runs quiet.

Here's the cable:

The picture gives you an idea as to how the cables work. You simply plug the cable into each unit and it gives you a receptacle like what you'd plug into at a campsite (you can see it strapped to the handle of the one on the right). Simple stuff. From what I read, they seem to be quieter and it might not seem like a big deal, but even the simple fact that it has a fuel gauge is a big plus for me. As other have mentioned, these weight in at about 44 lbs, so carrying them is a lot easier (carrying two of them seems easiest since it kind of levels you out, so to speak). They're supposed to last about 9 hours on a full tank (about 1 gallon), so I guess it depends how long you actually use them in a given day. It was cool where we were so I only had them on for a bit during the day when I needed to charge the battery some (and when I was playing around with the AC )

Our 2 generators in our truck:

This is Yamaha's video so yes, it's a bit biased, but they go over some of the differences:
Yamaha Generators vs. the competition - YouTube

As for the propane, we were out there for 2 nights without hookups. We ran the fridge the entire time on propane (except for the short time the generators were on), cooked I think 4 meals and figure 4 showers. I don't think we put much of a dent in the two propane tanks we have.

GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We can boodock for a week and not run out pf propane, if we start with full tanks. Water will also last but just barely. We use one GR27 battery and a Honda 2000i. Your Tundra is more than adequate. We've been over most of the higher passes out west with no problems using our Ridgeline which now just passed 100k, half of that towing.

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote