Old 10-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #43
DawnLuvsPossums

2016 16' Sport
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Fresh water storage is the biggest limiting factor to "in the wild" camping. Showers and dishes the biggest culprits. My trailer carries 36 gallons and the two of us can stretch it to about five days max To go longer would mean skipping showers and using lots of paper plates and dinnerware.

The two battery setup normally wired into Airstream's will never power a AC, suffer badly if asked to power a small microwave or coffee maker, are fine for recharging laptops and cell phones. You need the batteries to operate the fridge on propane, the water heater, furnace, and lights. Asking for more is asking for problems.

I have 400 watts solar and two 6 volt Trojan batteries. There are days in the winter, clouds, trees, where even this setup cannot keep up with demand. I make coffee by boiling water in a teapot and then into to a pour over drip maker. No electricity needed.
RE: Coffee & Power...

As a coffee person, I'm taken aback by this drip maker stuff I'm seeing, when you can use a French Press instead. French presses ROCK! There's no filter waste and you can buy them insulated or not (get insulated to conserve & retain heat) and in cup or carafe sizes! Planetary Design makes nice insulated carafes & cups!

I either boondock at a rest stop (access to water/restrooms) where I'm making coffee in the camper using my french press, but in the city at a 24 hr dunkin donut where for the price of a cup of coffee/tea (or more to be courteous depending on the duration of my stay) I get restroom access, power for my devices, and free wifi.

LuvsPossums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #44
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsPossums View Post
RE: Coffee & Power...

As a coffee person, I'm taken aback by this drip maker stuff I'm seeing, when you can use a French Press instead. French presses ROCK! There's no filter waste and you can buy them insulated or not (get insulated to conserve & retain heat) and in cup or carafe sizes! ...
When off grid being thrifty with fresh water is as important as power.

Although a French Press makes good coffee, it takes precious water to clean the plunger screen and rinse out the carafe vs a drip coffee maker, or an AeroPress where you merely throw away the filter and grounds.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm sorry, but some things in life are simply non-negotiable. Fresh ground coffee from beans is one of those things. Yes, we can grind it by hand. It's not that big a deal done on the batteries.

The math:

Grinder runs for < 60 seconds. It pulls < 100W.
Inverter pulls ~ 1/2A just doing nothing at all (turned on but no load)
Figure 12A for 1/60 hour
That's ... err ... 1/5 amp hour

Indeed the coffee grinder is very much in the "round off error" category.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
$3.99, rinse with about 2oz water, great tasting coffee:

BTW, OP, your "move in" date has come and gone, any updates? Did you actually move into the AS or did you renew the lease on the old place?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
The 'Soft Society'.

Read Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki and Aku-Aku.

Study how the Polynesians traveled across the Pacific Ocean.

Sudy why the Easter Island Polynesians... went wrong in their travels and experiences of a remote island.

How did the American Indian in the High Plains manage to survive?

What are the earliest civilizations needs to become established and survive?

Boondocking Off the Grid requiring... daily showers. Washing dishes. Is that OTG and roughing it?

Traveling in a pickup, setting up a tent camp... try it someday. All of this Solar and Lithium Batteries can be avoided by many... who really want to sit back and enjoy the outdoors.

Civilizations survived in hot and humid climates. Cold and dry climates. Warm and dry climates. Yet... without the comforts of our home... it becomes difficult in an... Airstream with solar, fresh water, traveling Septic System, refrigerator,... etc.?

Go to some lectures made by Anthropologists and Archaeologists. Understand how groups survived. We, without a smart cell phone within access... many are lost, confused and require traveling in a group of similar company.

My wife and I are Power and Water outcasts. We have evolved from a Tent, to an Airstream and next year... back to a Tent. Why? Because we can and understand how to manage in any climate we desire to travel. Leaving four or five tons of modern society at someone else's doorstep... it a relief that only a few really can understand.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #48
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Sorry, I've had sufficient French press coffee to know that we prefer drip. It has to do with those muddy grounds at the bottom.

We brew drip coffee directly into a thermos, which keeps it hot for a long time.

Dish washing can be a significant user of water. A desert camping solution is to wipe the plates first with a Lysol wipe or its equivalent, or just put a small amount of hot soapy water in something like a cereal bowl, and then clean the dishes with a soft bristle brush. The dishes still have to be rinsed, for which purpose we use a rectangular plastic tub. Running the water while dish-washing is actually wasteful when every drop counts.

In places where you can have a campfire, it's feasible to burn used paper products and coffee grounds.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Sorry, I've had sufficient French press coffee to know that we prefer drip. It has to do with those muddy grounds at the bottom.

We brew drip coffee directly into a thermos, which keeps it hot for a long time.

Dish washing can be a significant user of water. A desert camping solution is to wipe the plates first with a Lysol wipe or its equivalent, or just put a small amount of hot soapy water in something like a cereal bowl, and then clean the dishes with a soft bristle brush. The dishes still have to be rinsed, for which purpose we use a rectangular plastic tub. Running the water while dish-washing is actually wasteful when every drop counts.

In places where you can have a campfire, it's feasible to burn used paper products and coffee grounds.

No No. I must disagree. I prefer a thermal french press. Given good coffee (my choice is French Market Medium Roast) the key to avoiding muddy grounds in a quality french press is to wait a few minutes to let the grounds settle, then depress the plunger SLOWLY. Savor the delicious, aromatic brew. A bit of viscosity is all the better. Cleaning up is a matter of two cups of hot water with Dawn which is then flushed into the head with the grounds. This cleans and deodorizes the black tank. Another two cups of water to rinse the press. All is good. OK, we also have a Cusineart 4 cup electric drip for fast start mornings on the road. Some things cannot be sacrificed even in the quest for efficient glamping.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Vancouver , British Columbia
simplify

I have tried Air Conditioning and it seemed to me I was trying to cool air that was being warmed "mostly" from the sun beating down on the roof heating aluminum then being conducted through to the inner shell (ceiling) where it radiated down, heating air and everything else inside. The idea of throwing money at keeping this under control seemed weird when on shore power and it ain't possible with solar.
People new to solar have high expectations but the reality is you need to cut back on big power items. I watch TV shows on laptop, don't like microwaves, have hot water on demand and wash the simple clothes I wear by hand and dry em in the sun or with clothes line inside. But that is me, i like to keep things simple when here.

I live year round in my 1955 Overlander and I like it to look vintage all the time so I hide most of my tech like solar. I do have flex panels on the roof but you can't see em and they are enough for my simplified needs. Will possibly ad wind power.
But my solution for combating heat while parked on the property was to run a single ¼ inch low pressure waterline across the top of roof with four micro misters. The mist hits the roof and cools the whole thing down and stops heat radiating inside.
Sometimes the wind blows a bit of mist my direction as I am outside but I discovered I don't melt when the water mist hits me and it is refreshing in the full sun but that only happens once in awhile.
I am working on my 16 foot awning which should give shade to the eastern side on Airstream in mornings.
I know this solution might not be appealing to many but it works, saves money and water is not going to ruin anything.
Like I said I live full time so my next project for winter is to discreetly add a coil to the top of 4 inch chimney stack of my Hobbit wood stove. Heat a decent tank of water hidden up high in cupboard and let simple siphoning cary water to hot water tap for dish washing, saving propane and just to be a smarty pants
Maybe I will post with that challenge.
but if you want to cool your unit put micro misters on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	324948  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #51
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Koffee....👍

....KISS.
IMHO
The FP belongs in...France. 😂

Dripping at home & in the AS since 1970...

keeping your beans fresh.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_13fc.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	324954  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #52
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
JamuJoe and Robert-- it looks like coffee is a mighty personal preference! Sorry-- I've had enough French press coffee served in good restaurants and B & Bs to know that the murky problem isn't Just Me. This isn't to say that French press is bad for them as likes it.

With the 19' Bambi, we really pare down on kitchen items. A coffee maker takes up too much space plus isn't good for boondocking. The thermos is an unbreakable multi-use item.

The only glass items allowed (crystal actually) are Riedel stemless wine glasses packed in their original boxes for safe transport. We've broken glasses in dishwashing, but not in transit this way.

Glamping it is, but we have our standards.

Cheers, y'all.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #53
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I make the Coffee...the Chemex is the helper. 👍

Clamping... I just don't understand.
Sounds like something best done alone, in private. 🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_174f.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	324983  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #54
Wolfwhistle

2013 23' International
HILLIARD , Florida
We lost the OP on day 15 of last month, with the discussion reduced (not to lessen its importance) to coffee prep. I think he (I assume he) made his decision, cause folks, D-Day was close for Mr. .

Its funny how so many of us (me included) can be so naive. To think that a/c can be run economically via solar, without considering batteries, and if batteries are given ample thought, then the reality of how to recharge isn't considered. What I see is that, almost everyone thinks its a simple question with a simple answer, that one size fits all, or that our expectations are all about the same. The first things has to always be calculated needs with hard data and common sense (not all that common, Voltaire) when thinking electrics, then build to batteries then how to replenish.

How long I can camp autonomously, usually comes down to water, both supply and waste. I can do without a hair dryer or television for a time, but water is a "whole" other story. I could do well with power and water and reach critical mass by running out of beer.

Unless, discussions are one of those that causes our passions and loyalties to raise its ugly head (brand of truck, diesel vs. gasoline, half-ton vs 3/4 ton), we are fairly civilized group. Thanks for being willing to help others and sharing your knowledge and time.

So, keep in mind that singularly we know next to nothing, but together we know a little bit more. LOL.
Clint
Old 10-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #55
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even water can get a bit weird. How careful are you with your gray water when you are out in the middle of nowhere? Answer A gets you a lot longer time in place than answer B.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #56
Wolfwhistle

2013 23' International
HILLIARD , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Even water can get a bit weird. How careful are you with your gray water when you are out in the middle of nowhere? Answer A gets you a lot longer time in place than answer B.

Bob
Water scares me, sometimes I just stay away from the faucet. "A" can get you into more trouble than "B".
WW
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3c69adee313b83a7a0a2cac82698f6cf.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	325014