Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #61
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
So I started reading this thread because there was some mention of wind turbines in it, somewhere, then folks started talking about how they make coffee and got way, way off topic...

My question is, does anyone on the forum who travels and boondocks currently use a wind turbine with their AS and how well does that work? What product do you use? Do you actually set up a mast and what product do you use? How easy is it all to set up, take down, and carry around? Are you able to charge at night?

We have solar, but am a bit interested in wind power for night time charging.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi

There is a lot of information in the thread about wind turbines. Simple answer is that they do work (sort of) on a sailboat. On an RV, setting one up on an adequate mast plus the required wind speed to get anything useful out of them ... not so much. If there are trees or hills around, the turbine needs to clear them by quite a bit.

Next time you are out driving, take a look at how high off the ground the turbines are and how many of them are sitting doing nothing at all ... Then consider that the wind is likely moving a lot faster "up there" than down closer to the ground.

If you want to get into all the numbers of "how much wind" and "just how high" ... there are posts with all those details in them.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #62
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Not for us...👎

I tried a 300w, it was noisy, bulky to store, PITA taking the blades off, heavy, no way to store the length of pole needed to efficiently use it...returned and got a 2000w Honda...14 yrs later added a solar suitcase. 👍

POI... even on a Sailboat while underway you have to take into account the apparent effect. Wind drives the boat, you may have 25mph apparent and 15 over the blades...at rest is best.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There is a lot of information in the thread about wind turbines.
Yes and most of it is really old. This particular thread was the most recent thing I saw. Was hoping for some new product information and something that had been tried recently. Is there a lighter, smaller, more efficient unit these days that might work OK in an RV application?

I'm looking to supplement solar, not replace it. So doesn't matter if the turbine doesn't turn all the time.

So far no one that has tried this recently has chimed in. Anyone out there?

I don't want to deal with something that takes a lot of time to set up, a lot of parts to assemble or disassemble, a lot of space in my TV to haul, that poses a fall over and crash into my AS threat, etc. So this may rule out pretty much everything but the capability is worth considering I think. Gives me something to do while I wait for spring...

So what I'm interested in is any reports from someone that has tried to do this recently or has been doing it successfully.

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #64
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
The most notable improvement in the newer offerings has been in blade design, they are much quieter than older models...the 300-400w are still 12-14lbs. Kinda bulky and the blades should be removed for safe storage.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Yes and most of it is really old. This particular thread was the most recent thing I saw. Was hoping for some new product information and something that had been tried recently. Is there a lighter, smaller, more efficient unit these days that might work OK in an RV application?

I'm looking to supplement solar, not replace it. So doesn't matter if the turbine doesn't turn all the time.

So far no one that has tried this recently has chimed in. Anyone out there?

I don't want to deal with something that takes a lot of time to set up, a lot of parts to assemble or disassemble, a lot of space in my TV to haul, that poses a fall over and crash into my AS threat, etc. So this may rule out pretty much everything but the capability is worth considering I think. Gives me something to do while I wait for spring...

So what I'm interested in is any reports from someone that has tried to do this recently or has been doing it successfully.

Thanks,

Steve
Unfortunately, it is the wind that's the problem. It could be the most efficient design in the world. But if the wind isn't coming steadily from one direction, it wont make power. Take a look at wind data for different areas and you will see the picture more clearly. Wind power generation is not suited to 80% of residential applications. So what percentage would be a fair guess for RV locations?
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #66
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yes and most of it is really old. This particular thread was the most recent thing I saw. ......e
Hi

This thread started in September of this year. it has pretty much everything anybody here knows about or has tried. Because the idea really does not work, there aren't a lot of people who do it. It's sort of like towing a trailer with a bicycle ..... not a lot of folks doing it on a regular basis. The basic physics of turbines and wind access ( you need lots of wind) have not changed all that much. Very much the same thing with bicycles vs trailers.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote