Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Central , Texas
Window repair

hello, first post here. looks like I found the mother load of Airstream info,
My '76 ambassador had dual payne glass, on the portal windows (sky lights) water & moisture has got in between the 2 pieces of glass, it looks like I have to remove the entire window housing, it is riveted in place, it appears to me that I will be able to dissasemble the window once it is completly removed, is this correct?
MotoVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The window can be dissassembled but it is labor intensive and you probably won't be able to reuse the gasket. To make it worse the gaskets are not available. Some people carefully break out the inner pane.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Central , Texas
I'm ok with making my own gasket, I really don't want to break out the inside pane, have you done this before?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
See the adjacent thread "quick wing window fix", and Zep's link to his disassembly experience. Or just seal them like he describes.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Central , Texas
Thanks for the help, I see I posted in the wrong place, (sub forum Window etc), lots of good info, it looks like no matter what method I use it won't be easy. will try and get some pics and post an update as I can
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #6

1970 29' Ambassador
Interlachen , Florida
I have a lower portal window busted out of my Ambassador. All the other lower portal windows have been replaced with plexi. There are shards of plastic in the gasket of this one. The thing worrying us on this repair is getting behind the inner wall to fasten the outer hull rivets once new window is installed.
SuzynBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
There is a procedure to repair the vista windows , the lower portal is the same procedure. There is a difference in the procedure depending on the year. Do a search on "Vista Window Repair". See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...elp-17506.html
ALTE797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoVintage View Post
I'm ok with making my own gasket, I really don't want to break out the inside pane, have you done this before?
Yes, I made my own gasket of sorts by floating the window sandwich in a thick bead of ParBond (I would use Vulkem if I did it again). The trick is to get the window so it has caulk all around it and is not in direct contact with the frame. I think Zeppelenium was actually able to reuse the old gasket, but mine was just too stretched out. The window I did was a wing. Maybe other windows will be easier.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Wichita , Kansas
MotoVintage

My 1976 Ambassador had the same problem. The inner pane on mine was made of plexiglass, and the outer pane is tempered. It was a rather simple task of breaking the inner pane out, removing all the pieces and resealing the void with silicone caulk.
I also rebuilt my double pane windows to single pane to eliminate the fogged side windows. Let me know if you have the same problem and I will tell you how to fix it with out breaking the glass!!!!!!...Mike
Joebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Asheville , North Carolina
Dual Payne Windows

Mike - How did you fix your dual payne windows? I have a 75 Excella 500 and fogging between windows and would love to fix, or just make them single payne. I did the Vista's, but need to do all the regular windows. did you do it and was it difficult? I can get new single payne, but thats $5500. Any info would be helpful. Thanks. Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebanjo View Post
MotoVintage

My 1976 Ambassador had the same problem. The inner pane on mine was made of plexiglass, and the outer pane is tempered. It was a rather simple task of breaking the inner pane out, removing all the pieces and resealing the void with silicone caulk.
I also rebuilt my double pane windows to single pane to eliminate the fogged side windows. Let me know if you have the same problem and I will tell you how to fix it with out breaking the glass!!!!!!...Mike
RVGuyRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote