Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
You can get a nice finish on a lap joint or around a window with Tempro 636 if you tape the edges with masking tape and leave a small gap between the tape edges right over the joint the width you need. Put down a light bead of vulkem and then with you finger smooth it going one way and then go back the other way. This removes the excess and squeezed the sealer deep in the joints. Then immediately remove the tape. The edges will "melt" down and the seam will be perfectly smooth and if you made it narrow enough, very hard do see. If you leave the masking tape on for a while before removing it will leave little ridges on the edge of your seams. Wear old clothes because you will get it on you.s

Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

Any idea when AS stopped using Vulkem/Parbond and why?

Is there much difference between these two sets of products in your view?

Is there compatibility between the two sets of products? If not, perhaps Vulkem/Parrbond should be used on older model trailers?

Based on the factory recommendation , we bought Sifaflex/Acryl-R and have been using that to maintain our trailer so far.

Appreciate any comment/ advice.

Brian M.

I have no idea when they changed.

Those products work very well together.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well I just want to do it right. Trying to find marine plywood at a decent price. I have had quotes of $40-$90 for a 1/2" 4x8 sheet.

1/2"? are you sure about that? What year trailer are we talking about? The only trailers I have worked on with such thin plywood is a Scotty.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #32
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I cut a circular plug out with a hole saw and measured it with some calipers. I don't want to add any extra thickness because then it won't fit between the body and frame and I will have a step between the old and new sheets of plywood. I am sure the older shorter trailers they used thicker wood. I have thought about adding some extra supports in the middle between the beds where you walk. No use for them under where the bed will be located. I also don't plan on covering the floor under the beds. I may paint or polyurathane the floors to protect them from moisture. I don't want anything that will keep me from inspecting the floor periodically so I can tell if I have leak issues before the floor rots.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #33
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
68 Tradewind

I like the sound of your technique for applying Tempro 636, but I am not sure I understand it. Some photos or a video showing the application process would be helpful. Thanks.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote