Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
Whole skin or section repair?

I have a 1961 bambi with very few issues. I am getting ready to strip and polish and want to repair a section of damaged skin. The entire panel in this area is huge (in my mind) and involves the bottom of the windows. I am thinking of just repairing the section outlined in red in the picture. Is that crazy? I know the repaired side will be different but I could always do the whole panel "someday" if I don't like it. Any structural reason not to replace just the section? Thank you everyone. You are the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	204745  
thinktankair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you are doing a partial segment patch there is no reason you have to remove the original. Just add a piece over the damaged section with Olympic rivets.

While it will feel like an emotional broken tooth for a while, you will soon adjust to it especially if it is roadside, and non streamers will never realize it's a patch.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktankair View Post
I have a 1961 bambi with very few issues. I am getting ready to strip and polish and want to repair a section of damaged skin. The entire panel in this area is huge (in my mind) and involves the bottom of the windows. I am thinking of just repairing the section outlined in red in the picture. Is that crazy? I know the repaired side will be different but I could always do the whole panel "someday" if I don't like it. Any structural reason not to replace just the section? Thank you everyone. You are the best!
You can easily "over lay" a section of metal over the damaged area.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
You could even try a flush skin repair, cut out the damage and install a landing doubler and filler, a great deal more skill required but not much structural change. The patch would be the easiest option as Lumatic says. I'd do the whole panel but only if it it wasn't to the detriment of the interior. That's my 2c.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Thank you everyone. I really wasn't going to do an overlay but it is a better idea because it is going to look the same as a section repair. What impression to I have as an airstreamer if I only do an overlay instead of an entire panel?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Deep Scratch?

It doesn't look like the panel is more than deeply scratched. If it's bent you could gently pull it back into nearly original shape except for the scratch then overlay it with a custom decal. A racing stripe with the name of the trailer? A streamer with the stars and stripes? Your College name and colors? StarTrek theme, shot of the enterprise going into warp speed?

At any rate if you put matching decals on both sides, who would know? And no pesky rivets.

I saw one beautiful "statement repair" here on the forums. A Canadian member made an aluminum patch in the shape of a maple leaf - probably over a foot across - and used it to cover rear end damage. Looked totally like beautiful custom statement.

Inexpensive AND arty... and fast.

Paula
Old 02-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I was not paying attention, talking on my cell, turning into a gate and sideswiped the gate post causing extensive scratches. Structural damage was limited to a few popped rivets. My insurance company totaled the Stream and I bought it back as salvage with a lot of cash in my pocket.

I was mad at myself, but the $ took care of that.

I may do an overlay, or polish out what I can, do some kind of mural to cover it over, or just leave it because I have largely forgot about it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00151.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	204784  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Thanks everyone for your ideas! Wow you are super!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'm going to be the only person here to say, replace the entire panel. A Bambi does not have very big skins and for the amount of work that you will do installing a patch, you are at about the same level as a complete panel replacement. Drill it off use the old panel as a template and shoot the new on with olympic rivets.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I'm going to be the only person here to say, replace the entire panel. A Bambi does not have very big skins and for the amount of work that you will do installing a patch, you are at about the same level as a complete panel replacement. Drill it off use the old panel as a template and shoot the new on with olympic rivets.
I agree. With the old panel as a template for the new one, you should have a perfect fit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
OK everyone. Keep talking. I'm getting my courage up. I will reassess my approach to this. I so appreciate the input.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Gonzalez , Florida
I had a scrap/hole on the street side. Here is what it looked like. Body shop cleaned it up, and painted it. Not an exact match, but better than the original hole with orange filler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	204809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	204810  

Pensacola, Fla.
Go Noles!
Smokeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I started reading and thought I was going to be the only one, but Aerowwod followed by Azflycatcher said the same as I was going to say.
I would however go one step further and use solid rivets not olympics. I see repairs done in olympic rivets all the time. They tend to leak even when installed following the correct method. You have a very desirable trailer that has doubled in value in just the past few years. Removing that sides interior and inner skin will be no big deal at all. I feel strongly it would be worth the extra effort. If your polishing, you will probably save the time involved in polishing time by starting with a virgin sheet.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote