Old 11-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Whiteville , North Carolina
Where to buy used skin?

Hey, I am a new member and a new Airstream owner. My wife and I have been threatening to buy one for years. We finally ran across a fixer upper that we could afford. It is a 1972 27 ft Overlander. A limb had fallen on the top and crushed two of the top panels. Does anyone know where I can by used skin? I have found new skin, but I was hoping to buy used since the two new pieces are going to cost almost $1000.00, not including shipping. If this has already been asked earlier, please forgive me for being redundant. Remember I am new to this. Thanks, Philmac

Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmac View Post
Hey, I am a new member and a new Airstream owner. My wife and I have been threatening to buy one for years. We finally ran across a fixer upper that we could afford. It is a 1972 27 ft Overlander. A limb had fallen on the top and crushed two of the top panels. Does anyone know where I can by used skin? I have found new skin, but I was hoping to buy used since the two new pieces are going to cost almost $1000.00, not including shipping. If this has already been asked earlier, please forgive me for being redundant. Remember I am new to this. Thanks, Philmac
Hi philmac, Welcome to the forums. You are not the first person to have a tree limb do some damage. Take a look here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...rds-41140.html.

Look here for more tree carnage. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f198...aled-8290.html

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm not into vintage, but I admire those who are. A thing to remember is that all rivets are drilled and installed by hand, so if you get used skin you'll have to get a piece bigger than you need so that you can trim off an allowance at the seams and drill your own holes. You are also guaranteed to have holes for ribs and cross members that don't match exactly where your ribs are.

Recommend that you ask the good vintage people here where to buy for the best deal. Remember shipping is a cost too, so check if there are any local aircraft repair places locally - they might save you a bundle.

Good luck restoring.

Paula
Old 11-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
A picture would be helpfull. I'm geussing your dealing with the end caps, not the flat stock in the middle? A "crush" in the flat area may also mean a destroyed rib. I had two badly damaged end cap sections. A guy with an english wheel saved them. Not as new perfect, but you have to look to see any ripples. If they are torn there history, if not badly creased or streched a wheel may save them.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hello Philmac,

Welcome and congratulations on your AS. The end caps are formed and can be costly to replace. Other portions of the roof are flat sheet stock that can be purchased from various suppliers. A photograph or two would be helpful.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Used side/roof sheets would never fit correctly.

You can however, spice those sheets, and if you do it correctly, no harm will be done.

If your looking for used end segments, that is a different issue.

They cannot be removed, without removing the blind rivets, that you cannot see, unless you remove the window or windows, as well as the window or roof sheets of metal, or at least a few inches of the ends of them.

Lastly, the factory applied Vulkem sealer on the backside of the metal seams, which also does a pretty good job of holding the metal in place, even after the blind rivets are removed.

Andy