Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Knoxville , Tennessee
Question What Kind of Rivet Do I need? Why Olympic rivets?

I have never riveted anything in my life. I have no tools for riveting yet, I have drilled many out already, but now I need to put some windows back in. I had to remove all the vista views and main double pan windows on one side of the 75' Sovereign. Had to completely break down the windows and open the double panes to clean off all the old cracked film. Took me two days to clean 3 side windows and 5 vista views. I am waiting to get a package at the ups store so I can put the windows back together, but until then I need to order the rivets and other tools I will need.

Questions:
What size rivets do I need, both for exterior, possible belly pan, window frames, interior?
Does it matter what kind?
What are Olympic rivets?
Can I just use a dremel instead of a rivet shaver?
Is there somewhere I can rent a rivet shaver, like NAPA?
Would a welding shop have a rivet shaver?

Thanks for the help and your time. Kyle
Kyle-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle-King View Post
I have never riveted anything in my life. I have no tools for riveting yet, I have drilled many out already, but now I need to put some windows back in. I had to remove all the vista views and main double pan windows on one side of the 75' Sovereign. Had to completely break down the windows and open the double panes to clean off all the old cracked film. Took me two days to clean 3 side windows and 5 vista views. I am waiting to get a package at the ups store so I can put the windows back together, but until then I need to order the rivets and other tools I will need.

Questions:
What size rivets do I need, both for exterior, possible belly pan, window frames, interior?
Does it matter what kind?
What are Olympic rivets?
Can I just use a dremel instead of a rivet shaver?
Is there somewhere I can rent a rivet shaver, like NAPA?
Would a welding shop have a rivet shaver?

Thanks for the help and your time. Kyle
Olympic rivets are used on the outside shell. After they are shaved, they look like the buck rivets. They hold the windows in as well.

1/8" pop rivets hold the moldings on.

3/16" rivets hold the underbelly on.

1/8" colored pop rivets are used on the inside.

Yes, you can use a Dremel tool.

Welding shops don't do riveting.

Use only all aluminum rivets.

A good riveting tool that will pull any rivet you need for an Airstream costs about $30.00 or so.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
more riveting questions

OK, so the fridge access door on my trailer has an external frame, and on the top side there is an eybrow like molding that hinges the door ( I think) This piece at sometime was removed and reinstalled, using screws. I would like to remove the screws and install rivets. Olympic style? right? and then I use a shaver to make the head match the original rivets? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
OK, so the fridge access door on my trailer has an external frame, and on the top side there is an eybrow like molding that hinges the door ( I think) This piece at sometime was removed and reinstalled, using screws. I would like to remove the screws and install rivets. Olympic style? right? and then I use a shaver to make the head match the original rivets? MPJ
Right. Install Olympics.

And right again. Shave them down.

Or, you can use a Dremel tool to cut down a few rivets.

Shavers are a couple hundred bucks.

Andy
Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Andy,
what's the proper technique for installing Olympic rivets and Sealant for exterior panels? ('65 GT)
I have a curb side front lower panel which was clecoed by PO. Some rivets have been installed (not very clean by the way). I would like to take the panel back out as it was damaged after installation. When I pull the panel what is the best way to install it back?

I was thinking pnuematic riveter? pneumatic rivet shaver? Vulkem between upper and lower panel? Vulkem into each rivet hole?

Thanks in advance,

TIMK

TAC CA-77
REDSLED88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSLED88 View Post
Andy,
what's the proper technique for installing Olympic rivets and Sealant for exterior panels? ('65 GT)
I have a curb side front lower panel which was clecoed by PO. Some rivets have been installed (not very clean by the way). I would like to take the panel back out as it was damaged after installation. When I pull the panel what is the best way to install it back?

I was thinking pnuematic riveter? pneumatic rivet shaver? Vulkem between upper and lower panel? Vulkem into each rivet hole?

Thanks in advance,

TIMK
If you have the interior panel off, then buck rivet.

If not then use Olympic rivets.

Use Vulkem between the seams by placing a continuous bead covering the holes as well.

Use a fair amount of the Vulkem which will assure a positive seal between the seams.

Use whatever shaver you wish, for a small job.

Andy
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Yes, interior panel is out, so buck rivets sounds like the way to go.I am assuming you use Vulkem with both Olympics & Buck rivets on the exterior.Is it unheard of to remove all exterior rivets and reseal entire shell for waterproofing?I just don't want to go to all the trouble of pulling all interior panels to find leaks and not do it right.I am going for complete waterproof/leakproof ( if it's possible), and will go the extra mile to get it. Recommendations?Thanks in advance,TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Yes, interior panel is out, so buck rivets sounds like the way to go.I am assuming you use Vulkem with both Olympics & Buck rivets on the exterior.Is it unheard of to remove all exterior rivets and reseal entire shell for waterproofing?I just don't want to go to all the trouble of pulling all interior panels to find leaks and not do it right.I am going for complete waterproof/leakproof ( if it's possible), and will go the extra mile to get it. Recommendations?Thanks in advance,TIMK
The "only" way that you can assure yourself that the trailer is leak proof, is to remove all the interior panels and apply Vulkem sealer to every opening, making sure that each opening is chemical free.

Other than that, it's trial and error, so to speak.

Andy
Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Rivet size

Do different years have different size rivets?

Are the exterior rivets 1/8" or 3/16"?

Thanks

TIMK

TAC CA-77
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Do different years have different size rivets?

Are the exterior rivets 1/8" or 3/16"?

Thanks

TIMK
The original buck rivets on the exterior had a 1/8" shank but the head diameter is like a 5/32 rivet. Check out www.vintagetrailersupply.com as they have the correct rivets, along with the tools to install them, at reasonable prices. Plus he'll give you great shipping rates too.
Have fun,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
(-1 Rivet_

1965 20' Globetrotter
Jackson , California
Got it

Just ready Andy's old thread on drill bits... pretty much covers it.
I'll check it out

Thanks in advance,
TIMK

TAC CA-77

Tags
olympic rivet, rivet, size