Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
What are these little threaded inserts behind light?

They look to be brass, which I thought was a no-no because of the metal reactivity... they look to be in great shape though. I want more so I can put them in the rest of my light holes because as you can see the holes on the right side are out of shape and enlarged.

Any ideas on what these are called and the appropriate size to get?

Thanks!
Micky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131101_160935_855.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	199128  
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
rivnuts. You put them in with a tool kind of like a rivet gun. They're threaded so you can use a screw in the hole for attaching things. I used a few in my trailer---kinda handy!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Yeah- I thought they might be, but they appear to be press fit. They are split on the back so they open up when the screw goes in. Cant find anything like it anywhere... but I did find this rivnut set from harbor freight... 45 Piece Threaded Insert Riveter Kit

Looks like it has good reviews... and aluminum rivnuts.. wonder if it will suit my needs for my running lights?

Wish I could find the brass ones- they look nice.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Yeah- I thought they might be, but they appear to be press fit. They are split on the back so they open up when the screw goes in. Cant find anything like it anywhere... but I did find this rivnut set from harbor freight... 45 Piece Threaded Insert Riveter Kit

Looks like it has good reviews... and aluminum rivnuts.. wonder if it will suit my needs for my running lights?

Wish I could find the brass ones- they look nice.
I only buy stuff I don't use from HF.....

You get what you pay for.
Your 'brass' may actually be zinc.

Stick with quality, it's usually better in the end.

Bob
Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Rivnuts usually look like a compressed cylinder. What you are describing sounds like a "jack-nut," which woks much the same way, and could probably be inserted with the same tool.

Anyway, I agree that HF sells cheapie tools, but the rivnut tool I bought from them served its purpose for me. The question I have is why go to the fuss of putting a threaded insert of any kind in place to mount a clearance light? Why not just use a larger screw?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Rivnuts are available at Fastenal. Be sure to buy a quality tool for installation. I would bet SnapOn or Mac will carry the tool needed.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Riv nuts, nut certs, they have several names. The HF ones are not of real high quality but they are aluminum and that is good. They are fine for very light loads like your clearance lights. Heavier loads need a better quality. The hole they fit into is critical. Have exactly the right drill size or you will wind up with a large hole and a spinning Riv nut.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Rivnuts usually look like a compressed cylinder. What you are describing sounds like a "jack-nut," which woks much the same way, and could probably be inserted with the same tool.

Anyway, I agree that HF sells cheapie tools, but the rivnut tool I bought from them served its purpose for me. The question I have is why go to the fuss of putting a threaded insert of any kind in place to mount a clearance light? Why not just use a larger screw?
That might work once or twice but eventually you will end up with a larger and larger hole, then screw size will exceed what will fit through the light. Then you have the option of moving the light slightly and drilling yet another set of holes. I like the idea of using Rivnuts and will probably add that upgrade to mine when the time comes.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote