Old 01-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Vinyl coated interior skin source?

I'm on day 1 of my shell off resto. Interior skin is still on, but she's gutted back to the bathroom bulkhead . The reason for the job is frame sag, and that's also the reason for this post. That sag has resulted in some damage to the interior skin, the bulkhead between the kitchen and bedroom was trying to make its own skylite, there's about a 6" long tear, as well as some lesser damage in other locations. So does anyone know of a source for an original match, or are my only options salvage or paint? Thanks!

Dave

Old 01-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Summerland , British Columbia
I have some panels that were taken out of a 1968 , I just don't know if its an exact match.
I'm only a couple hours north of you!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Thanks, Fixxxer, you have a PM.

Dave
Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Hey daved20319...man, that must be some major sagging going on! I think your going to have to fabricate one out of sheet stock (I'm assuming the tear is in the roof section), and using the original panel as a template to fab one to match. Pics please...
Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Sorry, I haven't downloaded pics from my camera yet, but yes, the sag is pretty serious, both side to side and front to rear. My progress got halted this week, but I'm hoping to have the shell off by end of next week. After that, I'll be able to see just how bad my frame is, and figure out what it will need from there . Later.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmagda View Post
Hey daved20319...man, that must be some major sagging going on! I think your going to have to fabricate one out of sheet stock (I'm assuming the tear is in the roof section), and using the original panel as a template to fab one to match. Pics please...
Old 01-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I have not seen vinyl coated aluminum sheet material for sale. It is an interesting question and likely someone can answer your question.

Sounds like you have a major renovation going on. Please post pictures of the interior skin tears and later of the frame rails. I'm told the 70s trailers had thinner metal used in the frame rails in an unsuccessful attempt to reduce costs and weight. My 66 rails are 3/16" thick material. You may be planning to box your frame rails in for more strength.

I guess the rear end separation is a good example of what happens when the "monocoque" system fails. The wood floor rots, so the shell isn't connected to the frame as well, and the whole structure is compromised.

David
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
I also had a tear on both sides of the kitchen door in my 67-I removed the AC unit and installed a fantastic fan in its place, used some vinyl coated aluminum I bought from a damaged coach, and patched the ceiling. Worked out for me.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums