Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Ugly patch question

Next to the door of our '73 AS Excella are two patches about 9 inches square each. I have no idea why there are patches there, but, to me anyway, they detract from the appearance of the entire side of the trailer.

The panel doesn't appear to be very large and I'm wondering if it is an original factory panel or if a small section was replaced prior to the patches?

Would it be relatively easy to replace that panel or would I have to remove some of the interior paneling and table to do it properly?

I'm not planning to begin stripping and polishing until spring so I want to take care of a few cosmetics in advance.

Any and all opinions, answers, thoughts, etc. are certainly welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patches.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	109252  

Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
Next to the door of our '73 AS Excella are two patches about 9 inches square each. I have no idea why there are patches there, but, to me anyway, they detract from the appearance of the entire side of the trailer.

The panel doesn't appear to be very large and I'm wondering if it is an original factory panel or if a small section was replaced prior to the patches?

Would it be relatively easy to replace that panel or would I have to remove some of the interior paneling and table to do it properly?

I'm not planning to begin stripping and polishing until spring so I want to take care of a few cosmetics in advance.

Any and all opinions, answers, thoughts, etc. are certainly welcome.
That panel would be a small section of a side sheet.

It could be replaced in about 2 hours, with the right tools.

It can be splice underneath the bottom belt line molding.

Andy

Old 08-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
That's not factory. On my 77 there is nothing mechanical in that area. I'm thinking maybe the area was dented or punctured somehow?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I believe that the patched sheet is a patch as well. The original sheet should run all the way up to the window. Something bad happened and that was the fix. Who know how that sheet got patched again. It could be made to look like new with a little work and a sheet of 2024 T3 aluminum.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Lew the patches are covering up damage to the skin in that section.This section is 31 inches high and goes from the under the door frame to the front curved section. The top of the section is just under the window and the bottom is under the lower belt rail or trim. The two upper trims around the blue painted section will have to be removed as well as the blue panel which is a doubler over the first section. The lower belt rail and belly pan wrap will have to be removed to access the buck rivets under there. The panel is also attached to the lower edge of the stack window and to two horizontal ribs below the window. The panel is also sealed to all edges on the inside with Vulkem and would require inner skin removal to release all the sealer. A quicker method would be to install a doubler over the entire section and install it with olympic rivets and shave the heads to seal the and make them look like buck rivets. either method requires a lot of work. A faster method would be to install a patch that looks like a plaque maybe with your name engraved on it to disguise the patch. Some people have installed patches cut to look like their home state.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Richard that is the original sheet and it does go right up to the window. The blue painted strip is a factory installed doubler used only on Excellas.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Andy where`s the thread I PM`d you about. And i`d like an answer about my axles and 7 pin connector. Also can you send 2 dust caps they were damaged by United Parcel smashers
Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Andy where`s the thread I PM`d you about. And i`d like an answer about my axles and 7 pin connector. Also can you send 2 dust caps they were damaged by United Parcel smashers
Please send me a PM, with your name and phone number.

I am not sure that I know exactly who you are.

Sorry.

Andy
Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
I didn't think that was an original panel that had been patched simply because the rivet spacing along the top just below the blue stripe was not consistent.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
the blue doubler is sandwiched under the door frame with the original section. the hrizontal trim is not long there and full removal would make the work easier to do. The full sheet doubler would have to go under the blue strip to look original