Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Truck lost it’s load on our trailer.

Traveling east on the 10 heading to Joshua Tree yesterday we are being overtaken by a stake bed truck loaded with white boxes of something. At which point he slows rapidly, I look in the mirror and see he is dropping the boxes all over the expressway. At which point I say to my wife glad we weren’t behind him. Anyway here is what we found when we stopped. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	297709 Can it be fixed, or at least improved? If so any recommendations around San Diego?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would start with a police report.

You were likely not the only vehicle affected, the offender may have already been identified and their insurance could pay to remedy this.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Looks like you were lucky. I would email photos to Jackson Center, and get their advice. Could you stop there on the way home? If that little door still works [which looks likely IMO] I would not worry about this minor ding, which of course can be fixed. Ditto to Maggie to get a police report ASAP, and also to contact your insurance company.

We went through quite a time last year with lots of insurance issues, so I suggest doing all correspondence via email, and CC'g your agent on everything. Your email server/system should be backing up everything, in case your local computer/phone/tablet goes on the fritz.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- When you have time, a few more shots of the damage would help others give you better feedback. If you zoom out and show the surrounding area, plus a view of that whole corner of the AS, it will put things in context IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Problem is we did not think about at the time and didn’t see the damage until we got to Joshua Tree. Also not heading east until May
Old 10-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would call the state police wherever you were, tell them what happened and see if they have something already in their system.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A few things to consider:

1) Did you get details of the truck (license number, etc.) to identify it to your insurance company?

2) Is the damage enough to cause a leak into the interior of the trailer structure if it rains?

3) Is the damage bad enough, in your opinion, to need a complete repair by replacing the panel?

4) Sometimes damage of this sort can be mitigated by using a "paintless dent repair" service. The crease may preclude this...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh. Ouch

Looked at your profile. A 2017 27 fb. Your picture shows damage above the water heater... which is on the side.... about the biggest piece of aluminum on the trailer. The only way to eliminate a crease is to replace the panel, in total or replace it from the nearest vertical rivet line, with the fromt half lapped over the rear replaced half. I saw a half panel replacement AFTER the oqner pointed it out... never noticed that one side was one piece and the other was 2.

The crease could be minimized and carefully re-clear coated... and of course you could personalize your trailer with decals; roadrunner, swooshy American flags, running horses, etc.

Paula
Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMrT View Post
Traveling east on the 10 heading to Joshua Tree yesterday we are being overtaken by a stake bed truck loaded with white boxes of something. At which point he slows rapidly, I look in the mirror and see he is dropping the boxes all over the expressway. At which point I say to my wife glad we weren’t behind him. Anyway here is what we found when we stopped. Attachment 297709 Can it be fixed, or at least improved? If so any recommendations around San Diego?
I had a similar dent taken out by Dent Pro. They are a nation wide mobile service. The tech took it out in less than 30 seconds with a large suction cup.

There is a faint line remaining. Worth a try instead of going through a very inconvenient panel replacement.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Thanks dent pro would be nice I could live with a faint line, I am guessing this will be on me. I notified our insurance and haven’t heard back yet. I don’t think I’ll get far trying to pursue the truck driver. I don’t even know what Company the truck was from, just a yellow truck with white boxes.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #10
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Try a dent remover first. They cannot get it perfect but it may be good enough.

Plan on $5k + to replace the side panel if you want it as before.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thanks dent pro would be nice I could live with a faint line, I am guessing this will be on me. I notified our insurance and haven’t heard back yet. I don’t think I’ll get far trying to pursue the truck driver. I don’t even know what Company the truck was from, just a yellow truck with white boxes.
If you can ID the location to the state police, they will probably have other reports from this incident. I would call or email them ASAP.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Were you in Caltrans District 8?

http://www.caltrans.ca.gov/hq/tpp//o...ion12-1-13.pdf
http://www.dot.ca.gov/d8/index.html
https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=%40Caltrans8

There is probably a Tweet about the incident but I can’t find it right now on my phone. More later when I get back home.

I would start with a call to the CHP.

PS links to check

https://www.navbug.com/traffic_condi...bernardino.htm
Old 10-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Traveling east on the 10 heading to Joshua Tree yesterday we are being overtaken by a stake bed truck loaded with white boxes . . .
. . .
Can you be more specific about your location on I-10, time of day, and which Caltrans district you might have been in, per the first link in the earlier post?

In addition to a possible Tweet, there may be traffic cam footage of the event, similar to various roll-over accidents reported here.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- No sign of the incident in the District 8 tweets from yesterday,

https://twitter.com/Caltrans8?ref_sr...8%2Findex.html

. . . but you may have been on I-10 to the west in District 7?

https://twitter.com/CaltransDist7
Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Were you in Caltrans District 8?

http://www.caltrans.ca.gov/hq/tpp//o...ion12-1-13.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/d8/index.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=%40Caltrans8

There is probably a Tweet about the incident but I can’t find it right now on my phone. More later when I get back home.

I would start with a call to the CHP.

PS links to check

https://www.navbug.com/traffic_condi...bernardino.htm

Emailing now
Old 10-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My insurance company would want an effort made to find that driver, before they paid for the damage.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Emailing now
I think I have email toggled off in my User CP. Please post info here or send a PM [Private Message].

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Quote:
Can you be more specific about your location on I-10, time of day, and which Caltrans district you might have been in, per the first link in the earlier post?

In addition to a possible Tweet, there may be traffic cam footage of the event, similar to various roll-over accidents reported here.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- No sign of the incident in the District 8 tweets from yesterday,

https://twitter.com/Caltrans8?ref_sr...8%2Findex.html

. . . but you may have been on I-10 to the west in District 7?

https://twitter.com/CaltransDist7

Not a Californian so not real familiar with towns but it seems like it was about 20 minutes after we got on off 79 about 11:00 am
Old 10-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Okay talked to Cal Tran and CHP and no incident report. So not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling on this one.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Not a Californian so not real familiar with towns but it seems like it was about 20 minutes after we got on off 79 about 11:00 am
So that would have been near Beaumont, heading east on I-10 toward Banning and Palm Springs? At 60 MPH, 20 minutes would put you about 20 miles further east of 79, near Bonnie Bell perhaps, where 62 heads north from I-10?

On this stretch of I-10?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Beau...5!2d33.9227924
Old 10-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Orland Park , Illinois
Quote:
So that would have been near Beaumont, heading east on I-10 toward Banning and Palm Springs? At 60 MPH, 20 minutes would put you about 20 miles further east of 79, near Bonnie Bell perhaps, where 62 heads north from I-10?

Yep far as I can tell. I called Cal Tran and The CHP and nothing from either. I will try to get a better feel when we start back that way on Friday. If anything seems familiar I can cal the CHP back and ask them to check on that location. They were quite helpful.