Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
daly city , California
trailer meets a tree stump

The experience will make us more careful in the future.... as we were checking out a camp site, we poorly negotiated a trun and carved a whole in the lower undercarraige panel. The propane lines are all still in place, but the panel needs to be re-placed. I am thinking that if I put some plastic over the holes and then duct tape that, it will prevent any water or dirt getting in. We are on the road now and our travel plans are thru end Nov. Do you think that this patch work repair will be any good as the weather turns colder? The insulation is still in place and the brackets are bent. We're headed into the Rockies.
If we find a dealer/repair shop along the way, we could have someone take a look at it. Our travels now are going thru Tahoe, Salt Lake, Co. Springs and Denver as the metro areas. Any suggestions on shops in these areas?
The largest gash is about 5 in sq. with 3 smaller ones.
Painful to go thru this, but we will be better drivers because of it.
Thanks, David
tornado-bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Ouch! Bummer...

Colorado Springs = InterMountain Coach
Denver = Windish RV

If it were me, I'd choose InterMountian Coach even though Windish is closer. Their service bays are very clean and their people much more attentive IMO. I've seen repairs by IMC and you'd never know the panels were replaced/repaired. Call ahead, send pictures they can be ready for you when you arrive.

And there's lots to do in Colorado Springs while you wait.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
daly city , California
sounds like good advice

Thanks Shari,
I will contact them and send them some pics. I will be attending my 25th reunion for Colorado College, so I know the Springs well (at least how it was way back when.)
David
tornado-bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Murray , Utah
In Salt Lake City, there is Ardell Brown http://www.abrv.com/content.asp?nav=87971&cpid=2812&

I have not used them, but they are the Airstream dealer in SLC. A friend purchased one from them 2 years ago and has been pleased. Plus they just moved into a brand new, very large facility.

Good luck and let me know if I can help as you are coming through.

69 Overlander
01 Suburban
Hind-Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Pop rivet Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado-bait
The experience will make us more careful in the future.... as we were checking out a camp site, we poorly negotiated a trun and carved a whole in the lower undercarraige panel. The propane lines are all still in place, but the panel needs to be re-placed. I am thinking that if I put some plastic over the holes and then duct tape that, it will prevent any water or dirt getting in. We are on the road now and our travel plans are thru end Nov. Do you think that this patch work repair will be any good as the weather turns colder? The insulation is still in place and the brackets are bent. We're headed into the Rockies.
If we find a dealer/repair shop along the way, we could have someone take a look at it. Our travels now are going thru Tahoe, Salt Lake, Co. Springs and Denver as the metro areas. Any suggestions on shops in these areas?
The largest gash is about 5 in sq. with 3 smaller ones.
Painful to go thru this, but we will be better drivers because of it.
Thanks, David
If the whole panel has to come out go to Home Depot get a cheap pop rivet gun , aluminum rivets, caulk, drill, metal shears some aluminun flashing and have at it. Don't drill into any undamaged panels. Your insurance requires you to mitigate damages and should reimburse you for the tools.

Good Luck and sorry about the bad luck.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
If the whole panel has to come out go to Home Depot get a cheap pop rivet gun , aluminum rivets, caulk, drill, metal shears some aluminun flashing and have at it. Don't drill into any undamaged panels. Your insurance requires you to mitigate damages and should reimburse you for the tools.

Good Luck and sorry about the bad luck.
Yup, that's what I would do.
Or, just duct tape it.
Sorry to hear about the damage, get well soon.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado-bait
I will be attending my 25th reunion for Colorado College, so I know the Springs well (at least how it was way back when.)
David
Boy, are you in for a B-I-G surprise! A lot has changed in 25 years I'm sure!!! I've only been here 13 and barely recognize it each time I go down there ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
All excellent ideas.
If you do go with a temporary patch, don't use regular soft duct tape - you'll have better luck with the REAL duct tape - the kind that is aluminized. You'll find it at hardware stores, or in HD or Lowe's in the aisles with HVAC (heating) ducts. It'll be a bit more sturdy, and the temperature changes shouldn't affect it much.
Good luck!
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote