Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' International CCD
daly city , California
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9
trailer meets a tree stump

The experience will make us more careful in the future.... as we were checking out a camp site, we poorly negotiated a trun and carved a whole in the lower undercarraige panel. The propane lines are all still in place, but the panel needs to be re-placed. I am thinking that if I put some plastic over the holes and then duct tape that, it will prevent any water or dirt getting in. We are on the road now and our travel plans are thru end Nov. Do you think that this patch work repair will be any good as the weather turns colder? The insulation is still in place and the brackets are bent. We're headed into the Rockies.
If we find a dealer/repair shop along the way, we could have someone take a look at it. Our travels now are going thru Tahoe, Salt Lake, Co. Springs and Denver as the metro areas. Any suggestions on shops in these areas?
The largest gash is about 5 in sq. with 3 smaller ones.
Painful to go thru this, but we will be better drivers because of it.
Thanks, David
__________________

__________________
tornado-bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Ouch! Bummer...

Colorado Springs = InterMountain Coach
Denver = Windish RV

If it were me, I'd choose InterMountian Coach even though Windish is closer. Their service bays are very clean and their people much more attentive IMO. I've seen repairs by IMC and you'd never know the panels were replaced/repaired. Call ahead, send pictures they can be ready for you when you arrive.

And there's lots to do in Colorado Springs while you wait.

Shari
__________________

__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' International CCD
daly city , California
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9
sounds like good advice

Thanks Shari,
I will contact them and send them some pics. I will be attending my 25th reunion for Colorado College, so I know the Springs well (at least how it was way back when.)
David
__________________
tornado-bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Hind-Sight's Avatar
 
Murray , Utah
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 40
In Salt Lake City, there is Ardell Brown http://www.abrv.com/content.asp?nav=87971&cpid=2812&

I have not used them, but they are the Airstream dealer in SLC. A friend purchased one from them 2 years ago and has been pleased. Plus they just moved into a brand new, very large facility.

Good luck and let me know if I can help as you are coming through.
__________________
Andy S.
Murray, Utah

69 Overlander
01 Suburban
Hind-Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Jim Clark's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,077
Images: 6
Pop rivet Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado-bait
The experience will make us more careful in the future.... as we were checking out a camp site, we poorly negotiated a trun and carved a whole in the lower undercarraige panel. The propane lines are all still in place, but the panel needs to be re-placed. I am thinking that if I put some plastic over the holes and then duct tape that, it will prevent any water or dirt getting in. We are on the road now and our travel plans are thru end Nov. Do you think that this patch work repair will be any good as the weather turns colder? The insulation is still in place and the brackets are bent. We're headed into the Rockies.
If we find a dealer/repair shop along the way, we could have someone take a look at it. Our travels now are going thru Tahoe, Salt Lake, Co. Springs and Denver as the metro areas. Any suggestions on shops in these areas?
The largest gash is about 5 in sq. with 3 smaller ones.
Painful to go thru this, but we will be better drivers because of it.
Thanks, David
If the whole panel has to come out go to Home Depot get a cheap pop rivet gun , aluminum rivets, caulk, drill, metal shears some aluminun flashing and have at it. Don't drill into any undamaged panels. Your insurance requires you to mitigate damages and should reimburse you for the tools.

Good Luck and sorry about the bad luck.
__________________
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
 
ArtStream's Avatar
 
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,002
Images: 65
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
If the whole panel has to come out go to Home Depot get a cheap pop rivet gun , aluminum rivets, caulk, drill, metal shears some aluminun flashing and have at it. Don't drill into any undamaged panels. Your insurance requires you to mitigate damages and should reimburse you for the tools.

Good Luck and sorry about the bad luck.
Yup, that's what I would do.
Or, just duct tape it.
Sorry to hear about the damage, get well soon.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado-bait
I will be attending my 25th reunion for Colorado College, so I know the Springs well (at least how it was way back when.)
David
Boy, are you in for a B-I-G surprise! A lot has changed in 25 years I'm sure!!! I've only been here 13 and barely recognize it each time I go down there ~

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
funchucky1's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 176
Images: 1
All excellent ideas.
If you do go with a temporary patch, don't use regular soft duct tape - you'll have better luck with the REAL duct tape - the kind that is aluminized. You'll find it at hardware stores, or in HD or Lowe's in the aisles with HVAC (heating) ducts. It'll be a bit more sturdy, and the temperature changes shouldn't affect it much.
Good luck!
__________________

__________________
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
two tiny orange lights on left front side trailer overlander Lights - Interior & Exterior 25 12-03-2008 08:50 PM
Suggestion: Airstream trailer Forums (by Model & Year) hex Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 2 10-15-2002 07:38 PM
Trailer lights Dbraw Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 1 09-13-2002 05:51 PM
Trailer Life RV Campground Finder Pahaska Our Community 12 08-03-2002 09:45 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.