Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Too Tall Jones?

building canned ham with airstream methods...

Attached find my semi-Final rough design. And two shots of the vertical "form/wall" i made so I can peg my wall metal to it and built it at my lazy pace. It's not going to be made of OSB! but aluminum!

It ends up having 6'10" of headroom.

Or roughly
7 feet high exterior at the highest
7 feet wide exterior
10 feet long box
13 feet long total length

Does that sound top heavy? my alternate design is about 6'5" exterior height at the highest

The wheelbase is not 7' they are closer in... more like 6'... although I was planning on cutting the axle after I'm all done and putting on a torsion axle and widening the wheelbase a foot.. there is plenty of room in the wells.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 9.37.08 PM.png
Views:	76
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	214511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	214512  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	214513  

bass-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
An interesting concept for designing your own trailer.

A lower height is always better, but if you need 6' 10" then make it that height. I don't think 5" makes that much difference. Look at all the 5th wheels running down the road that look extremely tall from behind.

Wider is better for distance between the wheels. Why would you set it at 6 ft when your trailer is 7ft wide? This makes no sense. Why not make the trailer 8ft wide, since this is the width of most travel trailers.

Good luck, Dan

TouringDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Width. Yes, you state the obvious good sir but a few things got me to this point:

1. Misunderestimation My budget (new wife) thought it would be cheaper to buy some basket case canned ham and "restore" it. We failed to communicate that to me "restore" means replace every bolt - To her "Restore" means paint it with a can of Krylon, put up some new curtains and call it done. We have adjusted our expectations.

2. Available Space. So I bought a canned ham doing ZERO research except that it would fit on the side of our house where it has to go... second point... we have exactly 7' 3" of width from the roof of the house to the new fence. (The fence which I will be "Modifying" late at night when someone is on vacation.) So my new design is exactly... and I mean exactly 7 feet wide. Fittings will clear as they are below the roofline of the house.

3. Project Creep The the more I dug into it the more I hated every rotten stick of wood on the old canned ham. I went from fixing wood, to replacing wood. Then I made the glorious choice of getting on the Airstream forums and realized that Airsreams are built to last and I wanted one! then I had to replace wood with aluminum C channel now I might as well replacing ALL the dang metal! Hell, at that point the only thing left of the original trailer was the metal frame and the windows. So why not start all over!

So, basically I bought a donor canned ham cause it would fit our limited space. Re-furbed the rusted trailer bits, replaced the axle, and built a new floor. Then decide to go whole hog.

I'm having fun!
bass-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote