Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Too much aluminum

after replacing the rear floor in our 77 sovereign, I cannot reattach the outer skin to the corner rib. It seems the outer skin it too big for the corner rib. I tried to rivet the skin but when I attach it to the rail it leaves indentations in the skin. I thought I was spacing the rivets too close together but that is not the problem either. The inside skins attach fine to the rail as I used the same rivet holes to reattach the inside skin. But the outer skin must be a poor repair from a previous owner or I am overlooking something. Does anyone have any suggestions on what my options are? I don't want to leave the skin hanging free from the railing with a 1-2 space between it and the railing. Thanks,
Wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.yl
after replacing the rear floor in our 77 sovereign, I cannot reattach the outer skin to the corner rib. It seems the outer skin it too big for the corner rib. I tried to rivet the skin but when I attach it to the rail it leaves indentations in the skin. I thought I was spacing the rivets too close together but that is not the problem either. The inside skins attach fine to the rail as I used the same rivet holes to reattach the inside skin. But the outer skin must be a poor repair from a previous owner or I am overlooking something. Does anyone have any suggestions on what my options are? I don't want to leave the skin hanging free from the railing with a 1-2 space between it and the railing. Thanks,
Wayne
Hi Wayne; It is difficult to picture from your written description which panel you are having problems with. Are you installing a new panel or placing old one back. Good pics of that area may be of much more help. We have a lot of skin experts on the forums that may be able to help you when they see the pics. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Wayne,
Just a guess but it sounds like you may have moved the framing in a bit and now the outside skins aren't lining up. I had a similar problem with my front floor replacement. Fortunately mine was caused by the plywood sticking out a bit too far so I was able to move the frames in and trim the plywood off with a dremel.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Its sounds to me that you have the corner channel to far inboard. If you still can, remove the inner skin and remove the fasteners that attach the channel to the new floor, cleco or attach the outer skin to the channel. This will locate the channel to the proper orientation to the outer skin. Now reattach the channel to the new floor panel and rivet the inner skin back on. Some pictures would help figure this out.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I wonder if the frame may have flexed when tension was released when the original connecting points were removed.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
Its sounds to me that you have the corner channel to far inboard. If you still can, remove the inner skin and remove the fasteners that attach the channel to the new floor, cleco or attach the outer skin to the channel. This will locate the channel to the proper orientation to the outer skin. Now reattach the channel to the new floor panel and rivet the inner skin back on. Some pictures would help figure this out.
Wayne-

Even though Aerowood is know to give us Fighter Pilots a bad seat on his bird, he has nailed your problem! You need to attache the outer skin first, then set the rail to the floor then attached the inner skin. Let us know how you make out!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
You guys are the best!

It is raining again here in Oregon, so my work on the trailer will have to wait, but I think you have diagnosed the problem. I did attach the inner skin to the corner rail first instead of the outer one. I will wait 'til the sky clears before redoing my work and let you know how it goes. I will take some pictures of my work, and try to post them. Thanks much. BTW I do think that curbside corner has been repaired because I noticed one seam where this panel attaches to the back panel has a different kind of rivet and this is where I continually have a leak. Should I consider removing these rivets and redoing this seam or should I just try to seal the joint from the inside? This panel has numerous rivet holes along the bottom where it would normally attach to the corner rail. It is rather unsightly...I really just want to replace the whole skin except I am not that brave or that skillful yet.
Wayne
Old 03-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I would remove the rivets where it is leaking and apply sealent in between the two skins. This is called a faying surface seal and is always the best way to seal a skin lap. Good luck

Kip
Old 03-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Hopefully these photos will show my dilemma. I have a bent corner frame rail halfway up the wall and the skins are not even attached to it. Needless to say, I have leaks all around this area. Should I try to reattach the corner rail at the bottom and middle? It will mean trying to straighten the middle rail first. Do I unattach the bottom rail from the flooring and try to rivet it the the outer skin first and them reattach it to the floor?
Wayne

Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Does the arc of that problem floor channel shown mirror the opposite side?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
I think this is another photo that may help show the area in Question. I have unattached the floor from the corner rail but this didnot release any tenson to the rail as it is in the same spot 1-2 inches inside the skin in this area. Given the damage to the middle corner rail, I think this is just a bad repair that I have to deal with. How much work is it to remove this corner skin, the middle rail, trim the excess skin so as to pull it tight around the corner, and reattach it?
thanks for your input.
wayne

Old 03-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
Does the arc of that problem floor channel shown mirror the opposite side?
Yes it has the same arc.
unfortunately, I thought of that.
good thought though.
Wayne
Old 03-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
This is just a guess but take a look at the skin panel to see if it has a compound curve. It could be as you suspected that the skin is replaced and they used a straight or non compound replacement skin to make the repair. Hold a straight edge vertically at the corner, to the opposite side and compare it to the side that you are having trouble with. the opposite skin should teter totar the straight edge at the corner. If this is the case there is nothing you can do but replace the panel, because if not done right, you will have alot of extra aluminum to deal with. A new Compound skin is stretch formed to fit this area perfectly. I forsaw this problem when I changed my aft corner skins with straight sheet and had to do quit abit of forming to make it fit.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1978 30' Argosy 30
tappan , New York
my 78 argosy had the same problem at the front corner.It was never riveted on the radius of the curve from the factory to begin with. bruce
bc057 is offline   Reply With Quote