Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
To fix or not to fix

Had a bit of a run in with my daughter’s kayak! The estimate, based on a verbal description and photos I sent to the dealer, came back at $2220.

My father thinks that I shouldn’t bother fixing it, because in his opinion “it isn’t that bad.” Any opinions from the members here, should I fix it or leave it as is?

Food for though:
I’m not really considering resale value. This is our upgrade (from previous RV) and we will probably keep this trailer until we’re done with camping.
It’s a constant reminder of a big oops!
I certainly notice it, but not so much as right after it happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2008.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	106932   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2011.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	106933  

nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Have you talked to your insurance company? That's what they are for, you know...you're paying for insurance...might as well see about making a claim...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

If you could pull out the large dent it wouldn't look half bad. The small round impression would be much less conspicuous without that. It may require getting to the back of it and pushing it out. It appears to have just missed the seam, which is lucky.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
My insurance company is already processing the claim. Estimate amount will be deposited directly into my bank account.

Took my Mom for a short outing this week and when Dad saw the damage he thought it negligible recommended leaving it as is.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
We are jazzing up the inside; new laminate on the dinette and refrigerator top, new covers for the dinette cushions, new throw-pillow covers and new accent material on the valences. This was all in process before the Oops.

I almost feel pressured to have the repair done so the outside looks as spiffy (as we hope) the inside will be.

Dad’s point is that it will save money (deductible and transportation costs) and time to forgo a repair that is strictly cosmetic. I have to travel 300 miles to the dealer, drop off the trailer, return home and then repeat this when the repair is complete. Essentially I have to travel 1200 miles to get the dent repaired.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Let's see. It is an otherwise good looking late model Airstream. You like it and want to keep it. You want to fix-up the interior. You've already started working with your insurance. Sounds like reasons to fix it to me.

As a check, though, why don't you go put a similar dent in Dad's car and tell him it's just cosmetic?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I got a dent much bigger then yours. It is in full view. I can live with it, and It won't keep me from enjoying the camper. Someday when I have the time and money I may get it fixed.

I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Brian
Old 07-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
I'm not sure what your interior layout is, but I would think you could pull the interior panel and pop that dent out...or pull it with a suction cup from the outside. Either way I think it would be much less offensive. Then, live with it a while....if it continues to bother you THEN take it to the dealer to replace the skin. Just my 2 cents!
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
My two cents... Fix it... It is only 7 years old and has a long life ahead of it. When it is in its 30's then ask questions like this... But this trailer is in its childhood, fix it now, do it right. If you start "leaving it" now what wont be fixed next?

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
If you can get to the inside panel and remove it, most of that will pop out. What a person might do is...

Live with for now,
in a couple months, take a camping trip in the general direction of the repair shop,
after the camping trip, leave trailer at shop for repair,
when fixed, go back and camp again in the general area, and do all the stuff you didn't do the last time you camped there,
tow home.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Just curious.....

How did you manage to get a Kayak between the tow vehicle and Airstream to be able to hit , at that location, with the amount of force that produced that wallop?
I'd fix it. You have a nice camper there.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet Should I shouldn't I Maybe Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayl View Post
My insurance company is already processing the claim. Estimate amount will be deposited directly into my bank account.

Took my Mom for a short outing this week and when Dad saw the damage he thought it negligible recommended leaving it as is.
You ve already notified your insurance company and will receive a check. Better to fix it. Drop it off and when it's done go camping nearby the dealer or on the way back, that way you get the newbie pleasure of the fixed airstream and a weekend out saving 600 miles for nothing.

I had an SOB motorhome that had 52 problems in 3 years and if I didn't do the above I believe I would have lost it. Luckily the store was near Gettysburg and I love the area. It did get old though.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Jackson Center

We just a big dent in ours removed and a panel replaced when a storm came through and put 3 pine trees down on top of 1989 Excella.
Yours is WAY newer and shinier than ours! Fix it!!!
You need to call Chris Burch (Service Advisor) at Airstream, Inc.at Jackson Center and send him photos by Fax machine or in email.
937-596-6111 Ext. 7413
Fax: 937-596-7939
email: cburch@airstream.com
He will look at it and give you an estimate of time and money. Ours was done in less than 8 hrs. They had lots more to do! We spent 4 hrs. on the second day getting the AC and door repaired. They get it right the first time in our experience. There are techs there that really know how to massage that aluminum.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
yep, fix it.......you'll be glad you did later.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'd fix it. I don't turn in little claims to my insurance. I don't want dings on my ding sheet.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
In response to Melody Ranch:
"How did you manage to get a Kayak between the tow vehicle and Airstream to be able to hit , at that location, with the amount of force that produced that wallop?"

We usually put her kayak in the bed of the truck first. We tie one down in the corner of the bed and the other end sticks up out of the bed. Then we load everything else around the kayak. No problem.

On this occasion we already had the bikes loaded. I put the kayak on top of the bikes so it was laying flat across the bed and I didn't think about clearance. I park it in a pretty tight spot between a small stream and a pond (walking room on the stream side and just a few feet on the pond side). When I pull out I have to make a sharp 90 degree turn as I am pulling onto a single lane road flanked by two ponds. I was concentrating on staying out of the ponds and was watching my clearance around the pond.

When I did look in my rear-view mirror I noticed that although I had cleared the pond, I didn't clear the kayak. The kayak was strapped down so it didn't move when it became became wedged into the trailer. We didn't notice so it impaled the camper as I contiued my turn. You noticed how it hit right between the solar guards and the rock guard?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I'll bet you said "OUCH"....or something similar. Your place sounds Great.