Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Tell me about your favorite riveters.

I have a 74 argosy 22' and a 69 Safari 23' I would like to do it right and purchase a quality rivet gun. Please tell me your experiences with yours. What you liked and what you didn't, was it hard on your hands or easy to use, heavy or light etc....I'm one of those gals that would like to do it right the first time and purchase one or two tools that will work well for the whole trailer not have eight half a** tools kicking around instead. Is there such a tool out there that you have found and liked that I would be able to purchase off the shelf somewhere and not have to pay duty and shipping to Canada?
Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge base, you are all awesome!
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I use Marson Klik Fast model HP-2, it has 4 interchangeable heads that simply screw in by fingers no tool required to change for dif. size pop rivets, they are cast aluminum body very easy to use, also I use them on olympic rivets. These are not cheepy prest riveters. I have had mine since mid 70s still good as new have used on many repair jobs other than AS. Zip=Dee awning co. uses them in there installations I don't no the model # they use but same as mine only handles a tad longer They are also light and not hard on fingers or hands Sears sell them but maybe able to find better price elsewhere. If you google marson klik fast riveters you will see images of them and also some sellers
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I recommend the Marson as well. I asked the guys at Fastenal what was the best tool and they said Marson. It will do stainless steel rivets as well as aluminum. The cheaper tools wouldn't grip the SS firmly enough to pop them off.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
What kind of rivet gun? Buck rivets or for blind rivets?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I bought a pneumatic rivet gun for "pop" rivets from Harbor Freight -
(3/16" Air Hydraulic Riveter)
It was a real time and "hand" saver when I installed hundreds of rivets while putting the interior back in my Trade Wind.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
I bought a pneumatic rivet gun for "pop" rivets from Harbor Freight -
(3/16" Air Hydraulic Riveter)
It was a real time and "hand" saver when I installed hundreds of rivets while putting the interior back in my Trade Wind.
I have one of those pneumatic riveters as well. It will pop 1/8 and 3/16" rivets all day long, but if you get into any of the larger sizes, it may start to jam on the shanks or not cleanly pop out the shank. For me its fine, it wasnt that expensive a tool and it has saved quite a bit of time and aggravation, especially using a hand riveter. I'm sure there are much more expensive tools, but for my usage, this one does just fine. YMMV

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
For bucked rivets, I bought the "kit" from Vintage Trailer Supply, and have been very satisfied with it.

For pop/blind rivets, any manual tool will likely wear you out if you have very many rivets to install. I bought the cheapy Harbor Freight pneumatic model, and was satisfied with it as well, until a miserable plastic seal (that is one of the only seals that they don't provide a replacement for) gave out. Well, I bought another one, cause they are cheap, and I don't really want my Airstream specific trailer tools to last for more than one restoration, as I might be tempted to start another one.

My advice, unless you are thinking of going into business, don't over-research it.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Hi Aerowood, I honestly didn't know the difference between a buck and blind so I did a Google search and found this past post. I (hopefully) do not plan to do a interior gutting on either of my trailers so I think I would be going with blind rivets. Here is the post I found for any others that don't know either. Hopefully the pictures in her thread come through in my copy paste....

If it's your call and they'll fix it however you tell them to...go with the bucked rivets! Although the Olympics are "acceptable" the bucked rivets are definately better.

One of the pitfalls of polishing our trailer is it was difficult to get a clear picture of the rivets...the camera would focus on the reflected image...not the rivet! 

Here's the best I could do (I know, they're dirty!), hopefully this will help:

Top Row:
Left: Good shaved Olympic Rivet
Right: Bad Olympic Rivet (stem broke off)

Bottom Row, Left to Right:
1) head of bucked (original) rivet
2) back of bucked rivet
3) reflection of bucked rivet
4) pop rivet with Zolotone on it

Shari 
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind