Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Smalltown , Alberta
Stripping vinyl from interior skin

I want to strip the original vinyl covering which is glued to the interior skin. I have 1 hole in the aluminum skin that I know I will have to repair, but I am hoping to get the vinyl off without further damaging the surface. I assume that I should only use plastic tools, but would appreciate any advice on chemical stripper, tools, and methods. I did see a post somewhere where someone said "a lot of work, but well worth the trouble". Again, any advice would be appreciated.
onalimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Like most things - someone, somewhere has tried exactly what you are!

Here's a few threads you might look at... searching the forum gives more results but these look like they're pretty in-depth (sorry if you've already looked through them):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...alls-2625.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...els-13341.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...out-41968.html

You should be able to find some useful info in these threads! I know I couldn't commit to that much work. Course, I'll waste hours cleaning my truck with Q-tips and dental picks but shucks...

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Smalltown , Alberta
Stripping interior Vinyl from Aluminum

I have just read through a bunch of advice and information on stripping interior vinyl. Great information regarding strippers and methods. I am wondering though....My 1973 Sovereign has end caps made of maybe plastic or fibreglass. Is there an interior aluminum skin under this? Or will I remove it and find framing members, insulation and wiring? I was looking forward to having shiny aluminum ends. I already have to remove the front end cap to get at and repair an exterior dent, but wasn't planning on putting the plastic/fibreglass end cap back up. Anybody know what I will find here?
onalimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Wires and insulation is all you will find.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
On our '72, they're fiberglass. They cover insulation and wiring, but there are no ribs there, and there is no aluminum backing. They are a pain in the patatootie to put back up. They fasten around the window and at the rib where the trailer starts to "flatten" out. We destroyed our front cap getting it down but it was cracked and not really worth saving. The rear one came down and went back up. I think he's planning on making an aluminum end cap as others have done for the front. Should be worth learning a few new words, I'll bet, by the time he gets done!
Hope this helps!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Well, the rear end cap is fiberglass, but the front end cap was plastic.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior finish, strip vinyl, wallcovering, inner skin